patch 14.12

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just updated to 14.12 only noticed 2 things 

Truplay had to be redone for my arc,sub and surrounds not my 5's and sub 

Also volume level seems lower on the  arc

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 1

I have bought Sonos (Arc and sub gen 3) because of impressive low bass I love. Now after update I am sure I could bought anything else than Sonos. I heard two versions of Dolby Atmos demo on Peter YouTube channel and I know previous FW version was better for me. This update did hurt my Sonos experience and I will be sad but it will go away if they will not fix it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I have bought Sonos (Arc and sub gen 3) because of impressive low bass I love. Now after update I am sure I could bought anything else than Sonos. I heard two versions of Dolby Atmos demo on Peter YouTube channel and I know previous FW version was better for me. This update did hurt my Sonos experience and I will be sad but it will go away if they will not fix it.

They will do something, just give it time, as annoying as it is.

There was the issue with surround/sub disconnects recently, it got fixed. As much as they like to be silent, they sure are aware and will be looking into this recent update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just had an email stating my case will be closed if I don't reply in 24 hours, I replied but I am not hopeful they are looking to fix these issues 

I will wait for the next patch but if they keep these awful settings I will move on such a shame...

I turned off auto updates a long time ago for reasons like this. However, when I opened my app yesterday I recieved the pop up notification to retune my Arc because “Trueplay was reset during a recent update. I am still on version 14.8. My question is when I set up true play again will I see the affects of the 14.12 update? Im not sure why I received the message and my true play was reset if im not even on 14.12.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Brad Porter

Just turned truplay on and messed around with the settings -4 on bass  and treble +6 on sub seems better but the sound is much thinner if that makes sense 

Also the front soundstage seems narrow not as wide much more central 

You are right about the narrow soundstage! And that is sound thinner. Not great sounding at all.

Hi All,

I just factory reset everything, just to see for myself. 

Even before TruePlay, the volume needs to increased significantly to get the same output as before 14.12. Also, the soundstage seems to somewhat less dramatic - almost like a collection of different speakers with different timbres making a noise, rather than a cohesive sound. TruePlay does not help at all. I am staggered that this has got out of the lab.

I guess my question here is if anyone actually HAS upgraded and experiencing no problems at all?

Thanks

Brad

I think the people having no problem with the update had issues hearing dialogue before probably adding a centre channel slider would have been a better solution IMHO 

Indeed I had issues with muddy dialogue before this update. I like the sound profile better now. What I dont like is that my sub is not audible anymore. Its vibrating but I cant hear it with trueplay on. Its better without trueplay at the moment. Why cant we have better dialogue clarity without messing up the bass?

Userlevel 2

Before this update with trueplay turned on, I felt like the Arc, my Symfonisk lamps and the sub were all perfectly balanced. No matter where I was in the room, I heard a symphony of speakers vs a bunch of individual speakers competing.

After 14.12 and TruePlay tuning, the sound is flat and thin, lacking in punch, presence and bass.

It sounds like I bought a ** budget Bose soundbar.

I don’t understand how anyone at Sonos thought this was a good idea.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 7

Is anyone using the HDFury Arcana with the Arc and experiencing the lower volume levels after the 14.12 update? The reason why I ask is because I use the Arcana and have not experienced the lower volume that so many people here are reporting.

Even though I haven’t experienced the problem above, I have noticed the slightly different sound profile of the Arc and the weaker bass with the Sub. Disabling Trueplay has definitely helped fix the Sub issue for me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Is anyone using the HDFury Arcana with the Arc and experiencing the lower volume levels after the 14.12 update? The reason why I ask is because I use the Arcana and have not experienced the lower volume that so many people here are reporting.

Even though I haven’t experienced the problem above, I have noticed the slightly different sound profile of the Arc and the weaker bass with the Sub. Disabling Trueplay has definitely helped fix the Sub issue for me.

I’m using arcana and did notice the reduction in sound..

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m also using one and experience lower volume levels. The sound overall is still good though, I don’t have any issues with my Sub levels etc. but I’m also not using Trueplay. Maybe that’s the difference. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I turned off auto updates a long time ago for reasons like this. However, when I opened my app yesterday I recieved the pop up notification to retune my Arc because “Trueplay was reset during a recent update. I am still on version 14.8. My question is when I set up true play again will I see the affects of the 14.12 update? Im not sure why I received the message and my true play was reset if im not even on 14.12.

Your phone app is probably 14.12, but not your speakers. Easy to check in the systems area. I didn’t do the upgrade either and had the arc update notification from SONOS. I saw they had updated my app to 14.12 but speakers were still 14.10. I gambled and did the update.. which now regret. Volume has dropped considerably. What was a volume setting at 35 is now at 50 which I never had to raise to that level before. Don’t understand how some Sonos employee  nerd comes up with such a ridiculous idea. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

My sub is not right - no deep bass, just a peak at mid bass. The soundstage is narrow and vocals sound like they are in a cardboard box.

Totally ruined the sound (Arc, Sub 3, 2x one SL)

Userlevel 1

Sonos let us roll back to previous update, this is not ok.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

There is hope! 🙏🥳

Just received an email back from Sonos. They admit Trueplay is not working correctly and they are working on a patch to fix it. When the patch comes out, they didn't say, but it’s work in progress 👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Trueplay will not fix the bass.  I mean with true play on or off. The bass is way softer. 
will doubt if it fixes all the issues. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It is really weird that the only way to make the clarity of the center speaker better is to reduce the volume of the rest. You would think that when using LPCM you get the sound as the creator has intended, so why try to change that anyway? But hey, I’m no sound engineer. Most frustrating thing to me is that I (and probably most people) had no problem with the clarity of the center speaker what so ever to begin with! I haven’t used the speech enhancement feature once at all. That should be saying something. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I used to enjoy listening to movies volume set at 15 ,now I would have to out it up 30 to get the same level of sound, talk about a noise reduction.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the new volume representation is your only problem with the new patch I fail to understand the problem. The same volume that was 15 is now represented as 30. So what?

I can understand that people have a problem with the sound of their systems changing and also if the maximum volume would be lower - though I do not use maximum volume on my Sonos devices ever. You do not report this though.

Badge +1

The overall volume of my entire system has decreased  significantly. I am running an ARC with 2 Subs and Play 1s for the rear. Can literally have the volume pegged at 100% and have a conversation with the person in the room next to me. Truplay or not same scenario. I am literally ready to dump the entire setup on Ebay or Marketplace and purchase something different.

Userlevel 7

The overall volume of my entire system has decreased  significantly. I am running an ARC with 2 Subs and Play 1s for the rear. Can literally have the volume pegged at 100% and have a conversation with the person in the room next to me. Truplay or not same scenario. I am literally ready to dump the entire setup on Ebay or Marketplace and purchase something different.

Where did you keep the volume at before the update? How large is your room?

If I have my Arc/Sub/Play:1s system set to 35, it’s too loud in a 19 x 13 foot room.

If I have my Arc/Sub/Play:1s system set to 35, it’s too loud in a 19 x 13 foot room.

Yes, if I set my Arc/Sub/Fives system to volume 40, then it’s becoming too loud for our 22’ x 13’ lounge… 100% volume is rather a lot, but I did notice @ravekid75’s online profile device-list mentions that they have the older Sonos Playbar ? I don’t see any mention of the Arc? …just an oversight, I presume🤔?

Badge +1

Yes, if I set my Arc/Sub/Fives system to volume 40, then it’s becoming too loud for our 22’ x 13’ lounge… 100% volume is rather a lot, but I did notice @ravekid75’s online profile device-list mentions that they have the older Sonos Playbar ? I don’t see any mention of the Arc? …just an oversight, I presume🤔?

I have not been on here in quite some time and updated my profile. Currently have an ARC

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If the new volume representation is your only problem with the new patch I fail to understand the problem. The same volume that was 15 is now represented as 30. So what?

I can understand that people have a problem with the sound of their systems changing and also if the maximum volume would be lower - though I do not use maximum volume on my Sonos devices ever. You do not report this though.

Hello, me for example, i have a big issue with this update. Ok the volume could be up, but it is only for the TV or Movies. When I ask Alexa or play music, the New volume Level who is low for TV is very high when Alexa answer or play music with spotify Connect.

it is a very high problem for my family because my wife and my childrens are not happy and affraid

I have not been on here in quite some time and updated my profile. Currently have an ARC

You perhaps may have not saved your changes - it is still showing as a Playbar, FYI.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can play easy music on max now and don’t even sound that loud.  

Nice when you have a party and your sonos cant even get that loud. Its a joke this update