patch 14.12

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just updated to 14.12 only noticed 2 things 

Truplay had to be redone for my arc,sub and surrounds not my 5's and sub 

Also volume level seems lower on the  arc

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Just updating mine…………….

Hope I don’t need to re-do Trueplay!

Same thing here : Trueplay had to be redone for my Arc + 2xSubs + Surrounds

no need to redone Trueplay with my others speakers (beam gen2 + sub + surrounds and other One in different rooms)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

My Trueplay has remained but I don’t have an Arc. Just a Beam (sub and surrounds), a Playbase, 2 ones and 2 Fives. All have retained their Trueplay

Since the release notes say:

Made improvements to the clarity of Arc’s audio while playing dialogue.

it’s perhaps not unreasonable that the Trueplay settings needed to be erased and redone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

That would make sense Ratty

Slightly annoying, since I don’t have an iOS device handy and don’t have issues with the Arc audio quality.  But ok.

Would be nice if whatever changes are applied automatically if you aren’t currently trueplay tuned, otherwise will be applied after trueplay tuning is redone.

Would be nice if whatever changes are applied automatically if you aren’t currently trueplay tuned, otherwise will be applied after trueplay tuning is redone.

I imagine the DSP got entirely reprogrammed.

I imagine the DSP got entirely reprogrammed.

Well, it would be nice...

Better late than never, I suppose:

Sorry, Danny. If I were close, I’d come by and give you a hand. Alas. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

When i posted there were no release notes, the main thing I  have noticed is before my do not disturb the neighbours level was 15 it is now 30 

Not  a big deal really but in movie blow my mind it was 35 max I would use, I will have to wait for the weekend for a full test

Guessing that I will be passing over 50% volume for the first time 

Better late than never, I suppose:

Sorry, Danny. If I were close, I’d come by and give you a hand. Alas. 

My kids have iphones, so I will use one them.  It’s just that they are both older now and have jobs,  I don’t see them as much...no idea when I see them next.  I can’t keep up anymore.

And…

Edit: Oh, Bruce got there first. Never mind. The more the merrier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Can't understand why they won't sell a calibrated microphone for Android.

We have no Apple devices and it's a bit off-putting spending £900 on a soundbar and having 3/4 of the experience..

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sony systems can calibrate via built in microphones, the Ones and the Arc have them as well so surely they can True Play from their own hardware?.

In my mind and experience, it’s more of a marketing gimmick, if you’ve positioned  your speakers well, it doesn’t make a difference. If you’ve never run TruePlay, you’re now getting more without needing to run it. 

Sony systems can calibrate via built in microphones, the Ones and the Arc have them as well so surely they can True Play from their own hardware?.

There is a difference between Sonos trueplay tuning and what Sony and other companies do for tuning.  I don’t know the details and how much it makes a difference between the different methods.

Sonos does have their ‘auto trueplay’ on the Move and Roam, which does use the voice assistant mics for tuning.  This is surely not of the same quality as full trueplay though, otherwise it would be implemented elsewhere.  Still, I’d love to see it as an option for those who can’t do full trueplay.

In my mind and experience, it’s more of a marketing gimmick, if you’ve positioned  your speakers well, it doesn’t make a difference. If you’ve never run TruePlay, you’re now getting more without needing to run it. 

You’re saying trueplay is a marketing gimmick, or other tuning?  For trueplay, I can’t fully say I’ve done any real testing with it to say their is a significant difference.  Auto trueplay on the other hand, is much easier to test and definitely makes a difference.  Just relocate your Move to a new location temporarily and you can hear the improvement shortly afterwards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

And that’s what i thought. However without trueplay the sound in my garden room is just terrible. Trueplay make a massive improvement.

Although  to be fair i notice little improvement with my Playbase and ikea surrounds in the lounge. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

As for my Moves, which are my favourite speakers, as trueplay is built in i can’t comment what the difference is as there is no before and after to compose as you can’t turn the trueplay on and off like other speakers.

However what i do find is that set up a nice distance from a garden lounger they are easily my favourite speakers. They rate higher than my Play 5s and sub. Also friends visiting can’t get over how good the sound is.

This is why after was soo annoyed when they stopped working after one of the recent updates. 

In most rooms, I’ve perceived little to no improvement, and in fact often leave TruePlay off. I do pay attention to speaker placement, and it does help when there’s not an ideal placement available. But to say that Android users are getting ¾ the experience seems to be a bit much from my perspective. I truly believe that if Sonos felt is was a “requirement” to get their speakers sounding perfectly, they’d have created a device, as suggested. The fact that they haven’t leads me to the supposition that it’s merely an “add on” without significant enough value to rate that kind of treatment. It’s nifty, when it works, but I also don’t believe that when it’s not there, you’re getting less. 

I do believe there’s mostly value in the other “self” tuning that Sonos does for individual speakers, but the fact that Sonos have not created a way for non-iOS users to achieve TruePlay is indicative to me that it’s not “all that and a bag of chips” . I do think people’s perception of the value there is overblown. 

Userlevel 2

The same for me also, arc + sub sounds quieter

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Not happy with this update I have had to turn up bass and sub levels and double overall volume to get what I had before 

I had no clarity issues unless this is music related as i only use my arc system for movies and TV 

Should have known better and waited before updating 

Userlevel 7

Not happy with this update I have had to turn up bass and sub levels and double overall volume to get what I had before 

I had no clarity issues unless this is music related as i only use my arc system for movies and TV 

Should have known better and waited before updating 

Other than having to increase the volume, do you notice any improvement with the audio quality especially with dialog?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

No improvement 

Oh and I rebooted the TV and the arc

Userlevel 1

Same lower volume issues here

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I just updated my sonos setup to 14.12 and all I can say is that I’m very dissappointed with Sonos.  I have an Arc, sub x 2 (Gen 2 and Gen 3) and 2 play One’s.  Since the update, I’ve redone the trueplay and I can feel the subs moving but there is no bass.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I’ve turned the sub level to max and there was barely any difference.  I also reboot the entire system and no change.