Password protection for zones/ rooms

Hi!

I have play 1s and a play 5 setup over 4 rooms. My 3 yr old keeps fiddling with my phone and starts playing music in one room or the other at odd hours.

Is it possible to password protect each room individually?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

No, keep your phone in your pocket. Why is your three year old able to get hold of your phone at "odd hours"?
Badge
What kind of phone is this? Isn't there a way to passcode the lock-screen?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm with "The LHC".

You need to make it so that your 3 year old doesn't have access to your phone and why isn't your phone password protected?

Please make sure the bleach is not accessible
Whoa!!

Lot of hostility here. Simply making a point that anyone on the network can play any speaker anywhere on the same network, so is there a solution.

LHC missing the point...
Stuart, same.
Btw, thanks for the help
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No you didn't.

You complained that your 3 year old had access to your unlocked phone in the middle of the night. What did you expect us to say?

If you have a problem of network users making unexpected or unfriendly Sonos changes then kick them off the network entirely and only give them access when they grow up!
Badge
I am not so sure now this is an issue of trolling, or bad parenting. I do know many parents hand over an iOS device to their children for entertainment (games). This often results in Apple getting a ticket demanding how did they allow someone to purchase 4,000$ worth of in-app purchases on their account. And of course it's always Apple's fault. There MAY be some truth to this as I do know courts awarded Apple to pay a certain sum to individual members as per one of the class action lawsuits.

In any case, maybe the worst that happens with the Sonos app, is a child or infant subscribes to a few streaming services... or ends up downloading 22 gigs of data month over the bandwidth limit...

I suppose, this could warrant an extra FAIL-SAFE for the app and require a specific app passcode to be set...
CEO John McFarlane has long held the concept that passwords/keycodes are a nuisance which will probably drive one crazy. From a 2011 interview:

So we can start doing things like, maybe you have a mode on the Android controller or the iPhone controller to dumb it down. But that’s the challenge with doing things like parental controls, which one are you using and which one are they using. You can’t put, "hey, type in the three numbers to start using a controller" because that’s going to drive you crazy usability wise, you’ll turn it off and never turn that feature on again.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/10/21/2504462/john-macfarlane-prepares-sonos-for-airplay-assault-and-possible-home

And to the OP. Let's be fair, you described a very specific problem which seemed not only inexplicable (child with phone "at odd hours"), but also one which seemed easier to solve with parenting practices than via a software update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No mention of trolling, certainly not by me. Bad parenting. I'd say that were a bit harsh. Suggesting the OP takes personal responsibility, mea culpa!
Badge
I was assuming... the added fail-safe could be added as an OPTION... So that 99.9% of the population doesn't have to go through extra steps just to appease the 0.1% who demand it.
And by the way, iOS and Android both have the ability to place an app-specific password on any app you don't want the youngins to run:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397

http://www.guidingtech.com/12102/lock-protect-specific-apps-android/
I’ve been trying to find out if it is possible to password protect your Sonos. The request has been as early as 2005 apparently. You pay so much money for a speaker set only to find out that anybody who has access to your WiFi network basically can control your music. It shouldn’t be too hard for Sonos to set this as an option. Only because CEO finds passwords annoying shouldn’t have to be that all customer who request it should be denied something so basic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’ve been trying to find out if it is possible to password protect your Sonos. The request has been as early as 2005 apparently. You pay so much money for a speaker set only to find out that anybody who has access to your WiFi network basically can control your music. It shouldn’t be too hard for Sonos to set this as an option. Only because CEO finds passwords annoying shouldn’t have to be that all customer who request it should be denied something so basic.

It’s got nothing to do with how hard or easy adding extra layers of security is or isn’t. How long ago the request was first made is also irrelevant.

And for what it’s worth if the CEO is of the opinion that this feature is not on their priority then that is literally their prerogative.

Personally I’m ambivalent except in as much as I have no sympathy nor respect for those who give full and complete access to any Tom, Dick or Harry to their network and are more worried about the Birdie song being played than their personal documents being available.
It’s my prerogative as a customer to complain about the lack of functionality. I give my WiFi password only to those I trust. But majority is so illiterate that more by mistake than actually knowing what they are doing are possible to mess up you listening to music because there are multiple rooms playing different music. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does it’s annoying.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
This would be a great feature.

While I see the point of the ceo in 2011, we are in 2019 now, many things have changed.
Steve Jobs once said the original iPhone screen size was the ideal size to hold in your hand.
Now the Base iPhone (Xr) is twice as big.

I do NOT want my kids/guests to have the controls to my master bedroom. Unfortunately no way to configure this right now.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I'm guessing Sonos does not follow this feature request? This thread seems dead 😞
Sonos staff reads these threads and is generally aware of all the topics going on. That typically don't chime in when there is nothing to add.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Password your phone, this is a parenting issues not a Sonos one!