Question

Password protecting not an option but...

• 5 July 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi guys,

At my workplace, we have 2 Sonos speakers and use our laptops to change the music. Someone within the office, not an employee but its a long story, has the Sonos app on there phone and has taken to changing the music and queue leaving us baffled.

I've already read that password protection isn't an option but does anyone know of any tricks that might be helpful in either taking the speakers offline for phones or adjusting user settings?

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A non-employee presumably should not have access to the office network. Change the password to THAT and don't tell this person that password.
Scary to think that a non-employee would have access to the same network that potentially things like payroll, invoices, payment processing, etc are on. I could see if there was a guest network set up that segregated everything, but just a single network with non-employees having access? Frightening.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Change the password. Why is that so difficult.
Its a shared workspace, thats the whole idea of the business, and the wifi router is the same for all employees and members who come and work here. Changing the wifi password isn't really appropriate. Its just an abuse of power by one or two people who have the app on there phones and have tapped into it.
I'm afraid the only way to stop the abuse is to change the password and only give it out to those you trust. If it is necessary for the miscreant to have internet access, most routers have a Guest network that allows internet access, but no local access. Set that up and give them that password.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I believe what others have recommended, for visitors and non employee , they should access guest wifi networks. to avoid such scenarios, where your non employee can access everything , including your SONOS systems.