Password Protect Sonos?

• 9 January 2017
  • 37 replies

I have a PLAY1 in my university halls which has worked well, even being connected to the halls wireless network (StudentCom), but someone has just been trying to play their music on it at full volume. I assume they are trying to set their own one up but it's actually controlling mine. Is there any way to put some sort of passcode or pin number on my speaker?
The last question I saw on this topic was over a year ago and wondered if anything has been done since then.
Many thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

I've been helping users on these boards for around 9 years. Such privacy issues on shared networks have come up from time to time, but are way down the list in terms of relative popularity.

Source? Unless You've carefully collected the data over the 9 years you have been an insider?
Well i'm not going to take the bait.
Well i'm not going to take the bait.

That's the best way to play it with that particular poster. Nothing but trouble, so let little Logan starve.
Good idea guys, first time for everything.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
ok... i can't resist... I'll take the bait... maybe it is because it is a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Insertusernamehere, I can't help but notice that I've seen a number of your posts that are... I'll say, "pot-stirring". I don't get it. From the extraordinary amount of time I have seen ratty, jgatie and John B spend on here helping people and providing valuable and helpful comments... I have particularly noted a number of yours that seem to be ... less than helpful ...and it seems from the perspective that you don't trust them? Why the hostility? Sure... maybe Ratty, John B and jgatie (and perhaps I... though I'm not the technical expert they are) have drunk the kool-aid and are particularly supportive of Sonos, but personally, I have a great deal of respect for the organization that chooses to create a set of products that I believe fit a perfect niche between over-the-top expensive audio equipment and cheap bluetooth audio. They have built an organization that has chosen to operate without broadcasting their every move. This strategy isn't new, or unique, and is often wise business.

I see no reason not to believe and take ratty at his word when he says that in his, obviously extensive, time here that this particular issue is one that may come up from time to time, but is not one that is exceptionally pervasive... While I have seen it a few times, it isn't pervasive....

I think the OP has been given a relatively cheap, simple and clean solution... A simple travel router allows someone to log on to a known network wirelessly and then create a separate, dedicated ,and closed wifi for the user's personal use. Perhaps he perceives he knows better than Sonos what they should focus on. He can be forgiven that, sure, because many of us experience issues and trust that the rest of the world think "like us" when we can usually see repeatedly that isn't the case. I can certainly see that the target market for most Sonos gear is not individuals that are sharing wifi network space, but i would suspect, higher-end home owners who will obviously have their own connectivity solutions.

I'm not saying that I think the ability to secure a Sonos system behind a password isn't a good idea. In fact, I would be a supporter of such an idea. Parents who might prefer that their children not have access to their whole home audio system may be interested. In a world where it is believed that millennials will be far less likely to be able to own their own home than their parents... and this trend may be increasing, I can see more and more circumstances where this toolkit might be helpful in allowing a securing of the system... but I could also envision how it could be fraught with challenges... it wouldn't / likely couldn't / be foolproof, a factory reset on a device and poof you are past it... and if you didn't let this happen, you'd create lots of other issues... I'm certain a brainstorming session could id lots of potential solutions and ideas that could make this a useful addition to the system... but when there are relatively straightforward, inexpensive, and simple third-party solutions that will solve the problem... I can see how Sonos might be less inclined to spend their time on it and do what they do best... great audio and systems and connectivity to all the music in the world so i can have it in every room of my house.... not network security and segmentation....
Badge
I am sorry but I have to agree this should feature should be standard among all SONOS Devices, I find it crazy the solution is "buy a travel router", how about no, secure your products?! (It's 2018 FFS).

Or do I have to buy multiple travel routers which support bridge mode to cover the area I need?! NO, JUST NO!

Also in in my view a serious security flaw, I mean what is someone was to build a dodgy firmware version? There is no way or stopping them deploying it to the device if they get access to a LAN Socket or the WIFI Password, I can imaging a client PC getting an infection and hackers using this to deloy a dodgy firmware version to the SONOS when nobody knows anything abouit it, not like any AV on it either so how would you know?!

I also have cusotmers using this with 100+ employee's, they took them out as everyone would fight over the music, they are in my scrap bin here as I won't install them in our office either until they sort them out.

To not have the ability at all is just plain lazy, I mean seriously guys how hard would it be to add a PIN option too it? We are not asking for SSL Encrypted Tunnels with multiply layers of Authentication or anything like that, just a simple Password or PIN option for the most basic levels of security, it should be a given in 2018, SONOS Should be ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES IMO!

As for anyone disagreeing I can only presume you are doing this for the LOL's or to Flame so I won't entertain you, there is many people who have a genuine need for this feature which should be addressed without the need to buy more products (and know how to set them up I may add), suire I could put a Travel router in and cover 1/4 of the area I need but could my Mum, Dad or Gran do the same? NO CHANCE!

They could set a PIN if they were asked though.

I would be embarresed to release a product in 2018 which is network based but not protected in the slightest, SONOS SHOULD BE TOO!

Heck hackers are targetting Fridge's these days too so you really think this isn't a terget?!

Please SONOS Wake up to reality and give us an option to secure these!

Stuart.
Badge
I am sorry but I have to agree this should feature should be standard among all SONOS Devices, I find it crazy the solution is "buy a travel router", how about no, secure your products?! (It's 2018 FFS).

Or do I have to buy multiple travel routers which support bridge mode to cover the area I need?! NO, JUST NO!

Also in in my view a serious security flaw, I mean what is someone was to build a dodgy firmware version? There is no way or stopping them deploying it to the device if they get access to a LAN Socket or the WIFI Password, I can imaging a client PC getting an infection and hackers using this to deloy a dodgy firmware version to the SONOS when nobody knows anything abouit it, not like any AV on it either so how would you know?!

I also have cusotmers using this with 100+ employee's, they took them out as everyone would fight over the music, they are in my scrap bin here as I won't install them in our office either until they sort them out.

To not have the ability at all is just plain lazy, I mean seriously guys how hard would it be to add a PIN option too it? We are not asking for SSL Encrypted Tunnels with multiply layers of Authentication or anything like that, just a simple Password or PIN option for the most basic levels of security, it should be a given in 2018, SONOS Should be ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES IMO!

As for anyone disagreeing I can only presume you are doing this for the LOL's or to Flame so I won't entertain you, there is many people who have a genuine need for this feature which should be addressed without the need to buy more products (and know how to set them up I may add), suire I could put a Travel router in and cover 1/4 of the area I need but could my Mum, Dad or Gran do the same? NO CHANCE!

They could set a PIN if they were asked though.

I would be embarresed to release a product in 2018 which is network based but not protected in the slightest, SONOS SHOULD BE TOO!

Heck hackers are targetting Fridge's these days too so you really think this isn't a target?!

Please SONOS Wake up to reality and give us an option to secure these!

Stuart.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Wow that was such an angry post that you had to be sure we saw it, so you posted it twice.

I find SHOUTING alway gets results way above that which a constructive reasoned discussion can achieve.
:8
Badge
I opened my eyes on the forums and have already found years of constructive reasonable discusssion have been ignored by SONOS consistently so I am trying another approach or two which will hopefully make someone at SONOS pay attention and do what they should have done before they released their products and secure them!!!

Not that I should have to but it is what it is! Not sure why it posted twice though but nvm.

There seriously should be laws agaiinst unprotected LAN \ WLAN Devices, eventually there probably will but for now they can just shrug and pretend it's not a problem!
How exactly is Sonos an "unprotected LAN \ WLAN Device"? :?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The thing is there are ways round this. Separate Router, guest wifi etc. If you don't want someone to use your Sonos then don't let them have access to your secured wi-fi network.

It has been requested anyway, and I'm not sure a rant will pull it up Sonos's priority list, but lets see.

I can see so many downsides to this too. Each Sonos component would have to hold the password and what if one was off when that was changed etc etc. It's the openness of the system, for those i trust to use my wi-fi, that I particularly like about Sonos. Another password i personally could do without.
For what it's worth I will add my vote for a Pin option. I'm an AV integrator and install Sonos players in corporate environments and the lack of password or pin protection is an issue. Now you could argue the Sonos is not meant to be installed in corporate or university type environments and I would agree with you 100%. It's not designed for that, I get it. But my clients are cost conscious and the Sonos is cost effective so of course they like the price and then later they complain that people fight over the music. And no IT managers don't always want the headache of separate routers or SSIDs and forwarding. The clients want to connect to one wifi and not have to swap back and forth, back and forth, every time the want to control the Sonos.

And I also agree that even in roommate or dorm like scenarios a Pin would be hugely beneficial. Apple TVs can require Pins/Codes to Airplay because of shared living scenarios. Yes you could buy a private router or put your room in a Faraday Cage or live in a submarine to keep your music protected and your life more difficult or... Sonos could do a firmware update.

But this is just my two cents and Sonos is going to do what ever they feel like and it's their right to make what ever they want, not how I would do it sure, but it is what it is and I'm merely venting to the endless void of the interweb...