PASSWORD!

Userlevel 2
I love all the features on the sonos app and own like 10 speakers. But why doesen’t it provide a password function. It would litteraly solve all my problems. So fricking frustrating when people change the music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, jonaskh. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. I am happy to add your name to the list of folks who've asked for this type of feature. In the meantime, it may be a good idea to lock your WiFi with a password, or perhaps put Sonos on another separate network from your home network.

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes! PLEASE password protect sonos ...friends come and stay and we give them access to our wi-fi ...then wham! they're changing our sonos trackes, any time, any moment they want something they choose ...I just want to lock my password to what I (the owner of my sonos) chooses ...please give owners some passwrod protection
Most modern modems allow you to setup a Guest network with a separate SSID/password. Give your guests this instead, and they will have access to your internet connection and nothing else on your LAN. I know if I had friends I could not trust to properly use my music system, the last thing I would want to do is give them access to my private papers, tax returns, photos, etc. by letting them on my LAN.
@jgatie - I know how to 'get around' it but your answer is a tad complicated when this discussion is how to improve Sonos products (of which I have 11 in my house), and adding some sort of 'owner login' or password protection, benefiting all sonos users that have the same issue/request, is the way forward 🙂
@jgatie - I know how to 'get around' it but your answer is a tad complicated when this discussion is how to improve Sonos products (of which I have 11 in my house), and adding some sort of 'owner login' or password protection, benefiting all sonos users that have the same issue/request, is the way forward :-)

I was just trying to convey the fact that a Guest network (which is not complicated to set up at all) provides far greater protection to far more sensitive materials than your music system.

Plus, it is available to you now, whereas passwords on Sonos have been requested for years, and have never (and probably will never) come to pass.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You think friends are bad try grand kids! Grandma was not happy about the recent "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" by Elmo 'n' Patsy, music marathon, the little monsters!

Guest networks solve a lot of problems and offer your network and gear a bit more protection while still allowing guests full Internet access.
I appreciate the 'Guest Network' advice, thank you, but how difficult can it be for Sonos just to put a login to choose and play music? ...way simpler than setting up a Guest network (especially in our house with 3 networks, 9 bedrooms, 7 extenders, etc...need I go on) ...or a 'login' from Sonos (which makes a better product by Sonos with great customer value-added) 🙂
As with the whole "fix the SMB" thing, there may not be enough space available in the limited memory of some of the older devices in which to fit such a thing.

But that's just a wild guess. I don't really know what issues Sonos is dealing with that would make this a challenge. I'd assume if it was as easy as you suggest it is, they'd have already done it.
I appreciate the 'Guest Network' advice, thank you, but how difficult can it be for Sonos just to put a login to choose and play music? ...way simpler than setting up a Guest network (especially in our house with 3 networks, 9 bedrooms, 7 extenders, etc...need I go on) ...or a 'login' from Sonos (which makes a better product by Sonos with great customer value-added) :-)

Difficult enough to not have done it for the past 13 years it has been requested. The only discussion of this with Sonos brass was a few years back when the (then) CEO said they were against passwords on the devices because it reduced time to music and cluttered up the experience.

Also, Sonos goes to great lengths to not retire even the oldest of equipment, The old ZP units are very strapped for both memory and storage, to the point where they cannot incrementally index a library any more. I'm sure implementing a proper password scheme, since all data is stored on the Sonos units, would be quite difficult given the limits on these older units.

Either way, I highly doubt you will see this any time soon.
Well if I can get the password to the Sonos CEO's wi-fi, I'll stand outside his house and change his whole Sonos system to "don't stop til you get enough" ...on full volume ...at 2am (and yes that happened to me with some 'friend' thinking they were being funny!) ...then we'll see how enthusiastic he is to adding a password!
Well if I can get the password to the Sonos CEO's wi-fi, I'll stand outside his house and change his whole Sonos system to "don't stop til you get enough" ...on full volume ...at 2am (and yes that happened to me with some 'friend' thinking they were being funny!) ...then we'll see how enthusiastic he is to adding a password!

I imagine he'd be much more enthusiastic about having you arrested for trespassing.

And honestly although a password might protect you from the your friends playing tricks on you through Sonos, they surely would then discover other ways to torment you. You'd only be putting a band aid on what appears to be a much larger problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm in the "Save the ZP-80" camp, anything Sonos can do to keep my two ancient devices functional is appreciated. I still use them once in a while and would miss them if they were gone, not enough to buy replacements though.
The suggested solution of locking down the wifi is a non-starter for folks that live in house with a shared wifi where the wifi is controlled by the landlord. I'm probably gonna get another speaker that does have password/pin protection because I don't need the extra anxiety of people in the house being able to control _my_ speaker because sonos engineers can't figure out how to add a pin for preventing unauthorized access on shared wifi networks.
In all honesty, in that situation, I'd be getting a travel router, so I could set up my own network that hangs off the landlords, and apply my own security. I really don't want any other people on that group wifi poking around in my computer's hard drive, or watching my connections with online banking, etc.
Thanks for the lecture Bruce. I have a VPN for those things so don't need your pro tips.
My apologies for posting a potential solution for others that might find this thread and be interested. Certainly my intention was never to lecture. I'm truly sorry that you feel as though I did.
I would agree with davidk01's comment that in a situation where there is shared WiFi that cannot be controlled (college dorm, business environment, etc.), a password or pin such as on the Apple HomePod would greatly improve functionality and security of the SONOS system. SONOS devices are registered to accounts so would it be correct in saying that this functionality could be implemented in the app rather than devices themselves (allowing older devices to maintain operability)? The app could then only grant access to devices which are linked to the account that is signed into in the app. I do not believe that having a one time sign in prompt would greatly increase time to music. SONOS should strongly consider adding this feature as their products are not limited to home environments where there is access controlled WiFi. It would be greatly appreciated.
I use my Sonos system in my bar. I would love a password or locking feature on my speakers. I know that a password or pin is a feature that has been asked for for years, Sonos are clearly reluctant. Perhaps having the ability to set a controller (in my case my iPhone Sonos app) as the 'master controller'. The 'master controller' gets a simply allow or disallow pop up when another Sonos app user tries to access your system. This feature could be added as an option that you choose when setting up your controller and not as the default system set up, so if you don't want it you don't need to change a thing. Perhaps you could have a list of trusted controllers (home computer, laptop, iPad, or members of staff in my case). This would be a huge help for people that use Sonos in a commercial setting. Unfortunately, the wifi work around is not an option for me. Please consider this Sonos
Badge
I am happy to add your name to the list of folks who've asked for this type of feature. In the meantime, it may be a good idea to lock your WiFi with a password, or perhaps put Sonos on another separate network from your home network.

I'll fix it for you:

I'm happy to add your name to the list of folks who will be disappointed if they knew that we never intend to fix this. Let me give you some suggestions that will cost you more money (another separate network) that you'll have to SWITCH NETWORKS in order to use the system, but because they are separate, you'll not be able to browse the internet. I'll also suggest locking your WiFi with a password (disregard that it is called a passphrase or WPA2 shared key) even though almost every modern router requires the user to setup a passphrase/key and you've probably already done that.

In regard to the problem of wanting simple network setup while having some small gateway like a pin to access the Sonos - we're not going to do that ever, but we're going to make excuses like "more time to music", "bad user experience", etc.. - you know.. because all those Apple TV users piss and moan when they have to enter a PIN on their TV - such a bad user experience - and so difficult to do.

Call me cynical, but a company that ignores their customers requests for a SIMPLE feature over 13 years that you wouldn't even have to enable - it could just be .. I don't know.. a slider in settings like "require a PIN" - they ain't going to do it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi gbccs, many routers these days are capable of broadcasting multiple wireless networks, you could have one set up for Sonos (which would have Internet and a password), and a separate network for those you'd rather not have on your Sonos system. Guest networks are pretty standard on routers now, and wouldn't likely require you to purchase anything else. Still, I'll make sure to add you to the list of those requesting a password for they system.

Please add a password to Sonos for all of the reasons above. Our Comcast router only allows one network (so guest network not possible) and our guests use our WiFi for internet and printing. This gives all of them access to Sonos. It is the only app we have that has this problem.  They can’t access other personal apps. Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Lets say this happens. What happens when you forget your Sonos password? Do you have to factory reset your system? That would be super annoying. Or is there a backdoor that lets you reset the password? Well then anyone on your network can do that as well.

Device passwords will be a support nightmare IMHO. Much easier to use your router’s existing security features (eg Guest networks, VLANs) to keep people out of your business. My network has a lot more valuable data on it than my Sonos system, and I do my best to keep everyone off of it.

Badge

+1 for passwords on Sonos devices.

Just received a One SL and am returning it because of the inability to lock out other users on my shared network.

Acknowledge I should have looked into this before purchasing, but it seemed so fundamental that I didn’t check. There are a whole lot of people living in shared spaces sharing networks.

That said, sound quality is really good for a single, standalone unit. Kudos for that if not for the ability to administer with a password!