Party Mode is a problem. We need ability to create multiple groups of rooms!

Userlevel 3
We spend a lot of time grouping and ungrouping rooms. The issue is stems from my wife's use of Party Mode. She likes to use Party Mode while she is cooking. I ungroup the outside speakers so as not to offend the neighbors. I ungroup the upstairs when the kids go to bed. I turn everything off and then create a new group to set the morning alarm. In the morning, I create a group in the kitchen and family room to read the paper. There has to be a better way! Why can't we just create groups of rooms and label them something easy to remember like "Cooking", "Kids in bed", "Alarm" or "Morning Coffee"?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

I don’t think anyone from SONOS actually monitors any of these discussions -- it’s a distraction to try to minimize their phone support costs.

The Mac software wants to update every week, but I haven’t seen a single additional feature since I installed my system (8 units) three years ago. UX still sucks.

I meant no disrespect. This thread is six years old with many commenting about this lack of functionality that many expected out of the box( me included). Yet no real explanation that makes any sense. It’s a very clumsy setup right now and I like many would like it addressed in some way positive or not. 

So really what is the problem here Sonos? I have 7 speakers in different rooms . All I want is the ability to have different groupings . We just added bedroom speaker and noww I’m in the doghouse because twice I missed ungrouping bedroom from the speaker group..  y wife was sleeping in because she was working late shift..this is a 6 year old request. Can some one explain in layman terms why this is not available . As many have said this seems like a no brainer. Don’t get me wrong love the system hence 7 speakers but come on man fess up what is the problem?

Sonos never comments on future functionality.  Not what you want to hear, but that’s the case.

And in my experience, those who use the words “no brainer” about software development know nothing about software development, and even less about the specific software they want to be developed.  Been in Software Engineering for 30 years, not once have I ever looked at some other company’s software product and said the words “no brainer”.  I’m simply not arrogant enough to think I know the underlying design, although I can probably make a more educated guess than 90% of the population at large (and still, I don’t say it).  

So.... Six years later, still no response from Sonos in this? Apart from the fact that as many have stated before this should be pretty basic functionality, and I have not seen a real reason for not implementing this (there are several different solutions to the "one player is in more than one group" issue) the complete lack of response on the issue is quit baffling.

Can anyone comment on the availability of this feature on competetor's products like HEOS?

So really what is the problem here Sonos? I have 7 speakers in different rooms . All I want is the ability to have different groupings . We just added bedroom speaker and noww I’m in the doghouse because twice I missed ungrouping bedroom from the speaker group..  y wife was sleeping in because she was working late shift..this is a 6 year old request. Can some one explain in layman terms why this is not available . As many have said this seems like a no brainer. Don’t get me wrong love the system hence 7 speakers but come on man fess up what is the problem?

Badge
So.... Six years later, still no response from Sonos in this? Apart from the fact that as many have stated before this should be pretty basic functionality, and I have not seen a real reason for not implementing this (there are several different solutions to the "one player is in more than one group" issue) the complete lack of response on the issue is quit baffling.

Can anyone comment on the availability of this feature on competetor's products like HEOS?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I love the idea!
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
The whole ecosystem needs a revamp as it is in danger of falling behind in terms of functionality. The basic premise is great, and the sound is awsome, but lack of responsiveness and innovation in new features is telling of a company resting on its laurels. I love Sonos and the whole concept, but after spending £1000s on 16 devices and spending time in this forum I can’t help feeling that wihout a change in their approach the investment won’t continue as other options will materalose which adress all the gaps in functionality. There as SO many software enhancements that could be made to improve thw flexibility and usability if the current hardware simply being ignored. Which is a shame. Mapybe after the IPO they’ll be aquired by someone who has a vision to expand and truly innovatebeyond the basics that have a pretty solid foundation. I for one will be looking to replave my 3 month old 5.1 Sonos system with something else. Which will mean I won’t be soending a penny more with Sonos unless they are going to present something WOW on 6/6 😞
+1 Additionally, I would like the grouping to remember the volume level for each room as well. Not all rooms are created equal in a group.
Particularly with the addition of Alexa it is very cumbersome to ask her to play music with 7 or 8 separate commands to play music say “on the first floor”. If we could permanently group a bank of speakers as “first floor “.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is the app called Sonosequencer that creates routines to do what you want. You would just have to open Sonosequencr and click button to perform grouping and volume setting routine you would like.
Sonos you should be ashamed! Terrible that you can't implement something so basic.
Personally, I'd want the ability to setup common routines, not so much preset groups. Even with preset groups, I'm going to have to take several actions to get it all done, and grouping is really the easiest step. I want to be able to setup a routine that will play source 1 on zones A & B at specific volumes, while turning off all other zones, for example. I actually can do this now when using a smart hub, while controlling lights at the same time, and even schedule at a certain time or triggered off an event. It would be nice if Sonos can do this on it's own, but as smart homes get more and more common, all Sonos needs to do is play nice with smart hubs as far as I'm concerned.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
FYI, group 1 - all - this already exists.
I don't see how this is difficult to use and I have more rooms than you.
If I had selected all to start with and I want to "concentrate" the music in two out of the rooms. I simply tap "group" and untick the rooms I want to remove. Works right away.
If I am playing music in the kitchen only and want to "move" that music to the bathroom (without disturbing other rooms in the house, which might be playing different music right now), I just tap "group" and untick the kitchen and tick the bathroom, then tap "done" the music from the kitchen is "moved" flawlessly to the bathroom.
I don't see how such scenarios could be solved better just by creating pre-set groups.
I personally can see how a pre-set "cinema" group could make sense, but that's already solved via bonding surrounds with playbar/base and setting the surrounds to ambient vs full.
Badge
Hi,

I'm going to add my voice to this. I initially had a Play 5 for the living room and I just got two Play 3 setup in stereo in my kitchen.
First thing I tried to do was having:
Group 1: All speakers
Group 2: Only the Play 5 in the living room
Group 3: Only the pair of Play 3 in the kitchen

Then it would have been super easy to just switch from one group to another whenever the need arise. But no, I have to do all with just one temporary group to which I have to add/remove speakers each and every time...

Please Sonos, you do amazing products, you have for sure amazing software engineers too when you look at the Spotify integration for example. Doing this feature, that in my opinion should have been integrated from day one for a true amazing experience, that have been requested here more than 3 years ago, is basic.

I was planning to get a PlayBase for the basement on home entertainment setup. Seeing how, with only two systems, management is a pain; I'll wait till I get this feature.

Cheers

PS: I also get a lot of disconnection when playing music that is on my iPad or iPhone. But I'll open a ticket for that 😉
So disappointed that three years on this remains unresolved. Just need the functionality to set 'Master Zones' to either over ride or in addition to rooms.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you're on iOS then the SonoSequencr app can be used for managing permanent groups
Ditto. Amazed this hasn't been developed yet. Do it already!
+1 🆒
+1

I really, really want the ability to have multiple groups. I can see the potential issues but it just needs any group with a player in use to be blocked from other users.
Userlevel 1
Have been trying to find a way to accomplish this. Basically, one sonos speaker to be part of multiple "groups" (or scenes). Hopefully this will be resolved soon (I can't believe it has taken over 3 years), especially given the fact that Google Home is allowing the creation of groups. Instead of having to "check/uncheck" speakers, one would "check/uncheck" groups (assuming one has created/selected the speaker that would be part of each group). The hardware (speakers) are very good but the software seems severely lacking. I'm hoping that the Google Home competition and the Echo/Alexa integration will force some advancement in the area of software.
Wow. Came here looking for an answer for this as well as simply tired of grouping and grouping all the time to get what I need with 5 play 1s. The way forward is outlined in this thread over 3 years ago. Seems logical to have. Obviously this isn't a priority for Sonos but this sure would make the experience much easier. Let's get this done. Geez.
I purchased 3 Play 5's a few days ago and this was the first thing I tried to do after setting them up! I tried to create a group and label it.
Userlevel 2
3 years old and still not implemented. It is really a relatively easy task for sonos, so just do it.
This could then be called "smart speakers"...
Same goes with me! Would be great to be able to do this.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I too am a new user to Sonos and thought this was just a no-brainer. Can't believe this missed opportunity, so please add me to the list of users looking for the ability to create speaker configuration groups that are re-usable.