Answered

Ownership changed without approval

• 11 October 2018
  • 7 replies

My son moved into my home bringing his own Sonos device. When he logged on with his account, all Sonos devices in my house which were registered on my account suddenly where registered under his account and had to transfer ownership to my account to get access again. How is this possible? He did not have access to my account.
How can this be prevented?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 October 2018, 19:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I cannot be sure what has happened here, but transfer of registration of devices does not require access to your account. What it requires is for the speakers to be added to somebody else's system. Logging into any account isn't going to transfer speakers.

The simple act of connecting a speaker to the same wireless LAN would not normally cause any transfer of speakers - the two systems could and should remain separate. So it begs the question whether something else was inadvertently done, with unexpected consequences.

Perhaps a Sonos staff member or other Community member will be able to shed more light. It is perfectly possible that with recent changes to speaker registration I have missed something.
I suspect what may have happened here is that the son's Sonos was originally part of the main house system (i.e. it shared the same Household ID).

The player was taken away to another dwelling. Various changes were made whilst it was detached, including registering it with a different account.

When the player rejoined the main system the latest account changes would have been those on the returning device. Presumably these then propagated to the rest of the devices in the system.
I suspect what may have happened here is that the son's Sonos was originally part of the main house system (i.e. it shared the same Household ID).

The player was taken away to another dwelling. Various changes were made whilst it was detached, including registering it with a different account.

When the player rejoined the main system the latest account changes would have been those on the returning device. Presumably these then propagated to the rest of the devices in the system.
That seems very plausible. The return of a prodigal son (in a Sonos speaker sense) is always going to be a bit unpredictable (to me, at least). It would be interesting to know what has become of playlists and favourites, given that they will likely have diverged during the period of separation.

If this is indeed the explanation, it would have been better if the son had factory reset after taking the speaker, so that it registered to a different household ID. It would then have behaved in the way I said it 'should' have done, remaining separate.
Indeed originally my son's device was part of the system. I can also see that playlists have been merged.
I will factory reset the device and see what happens.
Thanks for your help!
If you factory reset the device now you will wipe all the playlists (although recoverable by adding it back to the main system). You might do better to leave them alone as one system if your son cares about those playlists etc. He can take it away with him at some point then never bring it back! Do take care with factory resets - you need to understand the consequences not just see what happens!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
do not factory reset.

What do you want to accomplish and why? Then we can give advice.
We have the Sonos ID, Household ID etc. So does the Sonos system now need a User ID, so that each user can have their own 'MY SONOS' tab to help prevent the problems that the OP has encountered here with his Son returning home?

In the real world, there are often many different users within the same Sonos Household.

My family each have their own musical tastes and are not really that interested in some of my personal saved playlists etc. and they would much prefer a degree of separation within the Sonos App.

Or if not, maybe the 'My Sonos' tab needs renaming to 'Our Sonos' ... ?