Question

Os Android version 5.1.1 obsolete?

• 15 December 2019
  • 20 replies

Badge +1

Hello; I’m also getting the same message, Sonos no longer supported on my Samsung Galaxy Android OS. I read others with this problem have version 4, but I have version 5.1.1 OS, and I’ve had this device about a year. How can my OS be obsolete already?? Advice please!! Thanks. Stef 11

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Badge +1

Stef 11 here, more info: I have Sonos version 10.6, with auto-updates enabled. So, what the….. ??

As per Sonos version 10.6, Android versions 5 and 6 have limited support, with apps able to control playback, but not access most settings.

Android 5.1.1 was released in April 2015, four and a half years ago. Per September 2019, Android 10 is the latest version. If you were sold a new device last year with this Android version, then you were sold something that was outdated for at least three years and definitely not future proof in terms of support from Google (its creator) and 3rd party developers like Sonos.

There are numerous threads about similar cases on this community, and while Sonos is part of a market that sustains these practices, you cannot blame Sonos for the fact that devices are being sold as new with software that is hopelessly outdated, which Sonos cannot keep supporting.

…...which Sonos cannot keep supporting.

Choose not to, surely….

Badge +1

Sjoop, thanks for the info. It is operating normally as before, plays back and I can search & play music, just loaded Xmas music in fact, so what are my options? Do nothing is one option I guess, it’s working, your advice is welcome.

Stef 11

…...which Sonos cannot keep supporting.

Choose not to, surely….

Once Google, Apple or Microsoft end support for one of their OS's, it becomes increasingly difficult for 3rd parties to develop for that platform. It's been explained on here before by people who actually have experience developing for these platforms, but in a nutshell, resources will no longer be available and the OS' creators will most likely no longer accept liability for any security issues. So while it is indeed a choice, from a business perspective, the alternative would presumably be a very unwise choice to make.

As I said, I don't deny that Sonos is part of a market that sustains these practices, but you cannot blame Sonos for selling outdated phones or tablets to people. On the contrary, all of Sonos' music playing hardware - some of it over 10 years old - can run the latest update of Sonos software.

Sjoop, thanks for the info. It is operating normally as before, plays back and I can search & play music, just loaded Xmas music in fact, so what are my options? Do nothing is one option I guess, it’s working, your advice is welcome.

Stef 11

Besides buying a controller device that can support a newer Android version, you could try to "freeze" your Sonos system by turning off updates and making sure that your Android device stops updating the Sonos app automatically. This should prevent your Sonos system from updating to a future firmware version beyond 10.6 that is no longer compatible with your device.

Badge +1

Oh, I don’t blame Sonos at all, but Best Buy who sold me a Galaxy in 2018 with 2015 software. But you gave me a lot to “chew on”, so thanks… but, if I don’t shut off the Updates, I could possibly get an update that might inhibit my Sonos working properly?

Stef

Yes, limiting functionality is basically the first step towards completely shutting down the controller for a certain OS. The Sonos firmware updates are (among other things) triggered by an update of the Sonos app. Unfortunately the Play Store has no way of "knowing" that an app update will break compatibility for the system, so it will simply install a new version on your device, potentially triggering a firmware update of Sonos that may introduce the aforementioned non-compatibility.

Adoption of new OS versions has plagued the Android ecosystem for years. Especially cheaper, non-"flagship" devices are often sold with an older version and don't get much needed updates. However, I don't think Samsung has sold any "Galaxy" branded device in 2018, even in their mid-range lines, that still shipped with Android 5.1.1, so you're likely right to blame Best Buy, because it sounds like they sold you a device that wasn't even 2018 spec. 

Badge +1

Sjoop & Amun; One more question for you: is it possible to download/upgrade my Galaxy OS? I did turn OFF the Sonos auto-updates, hoping it continues to work Ok as a controller. Thanks for any more info, Stef 11.

Sjoop & Amun; One more question for you: is it possible to download/upgrade my Galaxy OS?

A Samsung issue, really…. If you check for updates on the tablet, does it offer you any options?

I did turn OFF the Sonos auto-updates, hoping it continues to work Ok as a controller. Thanks for any more info, Stef 11.

Stopping auto updates will work, but you need to make sure that any device that attaches to your network also has auto updates disabled - and that no-one triggers an update manually.

Depending on what facilities you use, you might choose to lock your system down. It’s not great, and Sonos don’t support it, but if you just want to stay as you are then it’s a viable option.

Badge

Hmm,  I have the same problem, my OS on my Samsung tablet is also out of date. Foolishly I wasted loads of time looking to find out how to update the OS, which clearly is a waste of time because it only updates the version you have. Looks like I have to buy a new tablet grrr! The bad news is the app takes away the option to add new speakers, which is not good for Sonos coz I won't be buying anymore until I sort out the OS issue. I can still use the app despite its limited functionality but this is not what you would expect from a quality product like Sonos. This is clearly not good for Sonos especially if people have bought speakers who's Androids run on an old OS. Can't say I'm happy about this but at least I am wiser. My best advice is if you ever have a problem visit this forum first for the answers and don't waste your time trying to suss it out yourself, I have wasted hours looking for an answer, I should have come here first.

New Sub arrived today….excited to hook it up along with my 6 month old Ones. Unfortunately my 3 tablets and cell phone operating systems are no longer supported.

Happy customer up until today…..what a let down.

:frowning2:

New Sub arrived today….excited to hook it up along with my 6 month old Ones. Unfortunately my 3 tablets and cell phone operating systems are no longer supported.

Happy customer up until today…..what a let down.

:frowning2:

It always pays to keep an eye on any such manufacturers system requirements before making such a purchase. Sonos publish theirs at the link shown below…

Sonos System Requirements

As with any similar product, these things are always ‘subject to change’ from time to time.

Good to know, thanks…..when did they update to 7.0?

Good to know, thanks…..when did they update to 7.0?

The release notes for Sonos Software updates are shown here…

Sonos Software Release Notes

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It really sucks to have phone and tablet makers abandoning their devices so quickly. Once the maker has punted there is little Sonos can do to keep things working.

Borrow a friend to do the setup for you until you can get a newer device.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Sadly, Sonos is rapidly becoming a problematic system to choose, largely because of their policy of irreversible updates which ends up with users being forced to renew their controllers, or even more risibly being advised to find a friend with a compatible device! 

The forum is full of complaints from both new and existing users about this situation.   Sad.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If Sonos wouldn’t update people would complain about their systems becoming unsafe (see the discussions on SMB v1). Damned if you do and damned if you don’t…...

Sadly, Sonos is rapidly becoming a problematic system to choose, largely because of their policy of irreversible updates which ends up with users being forced to renew their controllers, or even more risibly being advised to find a friend with a compatible device! 

The forum is full of complaints from both new and existing users about this situation.   Sad.  

You’ve been beating this drum for seemingly eons now, yet you are still here posting?  If I were as continually disappointed in a product as you seem to be, you would have seen my last post years ago.  Are you a masochist of some sort? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Maybe I’m just not as slavish in toting the party line as some others seem to be.  

What sort of technical advice is ‘Buy a new phone, or find a friend with one’ ?

Good grief.

Maybe I’m just not as slavish in toting the party line as some others seem to be.  

What sort of technical advice is ‘Buy a new phone, or find a friend with one’ ?

Good grief.

Yeah, we all know your shtick, tiresome as it is.