Question

Optimizing cover art

• 15 May 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12
  • Enthusiast II
  • 335 replies
Hello! Visiting this thread I was wondering if some information there is outdated:
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/improve-cover-art-support-resolution-speed-image-types-and-fault-tolerance-5057783

For example it seems to me the pixel limit is no longer 1024x1024. I have an album where the embedded cover art is 1500x1500 and it is shown. However I found it often loaded really slow and sometimes not at all.
However I found that reducing the filesize rather than pixelsize was more effective in making Sonos Controller read it faster.

So which are the size and pixel limits nowdays?
Also, is there a recommended filesize and/or pixelsize where the compromise between resolution and loading times are optimal? Or some kind of table showing the relation between loading times and filesize/pixelsize?

I'd like to keep resolution high but if there's a size threshold somewhere when loading times are significantly slower I'd like to go below that limit.

Also, I've found that removing embedded art and using the folder.jpg option instead does not improve loading times of art for separate tracks in queue or album view. I find that very strange since the controller only needs to fetch one image for the whole album instead of an image for each track. Is it possible to improve this or some recommended method to improve loading times apart from filesize?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

For example it seems to me the pixel limit is no longer 1024x1024. I have an album where the embedded cover art is 1500x1500 and it is shown. However I found it often loaded really slow and sometimes not at all.
However I found that reducing the filesize rather than pixelsize was more effective in making Sonos Controller read it faster.

Here is the relevant FAQ. Some controllers have a size limit, without a resolution limit.

Sonos fetches album art via the 'Associated ZP' (look in About My Sonos System). This can change, so depending on wireless conditions sometimes you might get a faster retrieval. Sonos has pretty low patience and can time out an artwork request quite quickly.

Also, is there a recommended filesize and/or pixelsize where the compromise between resolution and loading times are optimal?

Personally I stick to a maximum of 600x600, with a size limit of about 250kB, resizing as necessary.

Also, I've found that removing embedded art and using the folder.jpg option instead does not improve loading times of art for separate tracks in queue or album view.

A controller makes individual art requests for each queued track. It cannot know that the track doesn't included embedded art until it actually looks. That said, a controller does store a limited amount of art in cache once each track's art has been acquired.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
It says in the faq the size limit is 1024x1024 and I'm looking at cover art that is 1800x1800 as I write this. It works fine in the controller on both iPad and laptop.

I guess the 1024x1024 limit is only relevant for those using Boost mode and legacy Sonos CR100, CR200 controllers.

When using pixel big cover art like this it seems like the folder option is a bit faster in loading time than the same art embedded.
The FAQ says
iPhone / iPad / iPod touch support album artwork up to 320kb in size with no resolution limit.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
The FAQ says
iPhone / iPad / iPod touch support album artwork up to 320kb in size with no resolution limit.

Desktop version on Mac handles bigger sizes. So the question is if the Desktop PC-version and Android does? If so then 1024x1024 limit is only for legacy controllers.
Certainly, if my memory serves, CR100 was limited to 1024x1024.