Open up the Legacy system if Sonos will not continue support

• 26 January 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

Like many others I have invested into Sonos, both in the hardware and the Sonos system.

If Sonos will not continue to fully support the product we have invested in I belief they have the responsibility to unlock the proprietary locks on my system and open it up so I can maintain proper use of the products I purchased.

Sonos sold me hardware and, and yes I knew it was proprietary, but trust company's recognize we build their business by purchasing these products. Call me old fashioned but I do believe in buying lasting products, mayby for life is a little out of a reach in this day and age but I expect very long term use out of my purchases. If I buy a car and maintain it well and want to keep this investment for a long time, that is my choice. The manufacturer can release new and better products to entice me to trade in but cannot shut down my software inside my car simply because it is not in there financial interest.

I am not looking to have new and great features added to my system, I only expect it to perform as purchased. If I want voice activation or the latest and greatest Sonos has to offer then it is my choice to upgrade. 

I ask only to give us options if you choose not to support your products anymore. Build credibility with Sonos products by showing 1st your commitment to your customers, then expect revenue from loyal customers.

Support the product or remove the proprietary restrictions if you are no longer able to support the product.

Rene

10 replies

Hi. There is no possibility of Sonos doing what you request. According to your profile you have a Play:3. That will be fully supported with updates and new features for a minimum of 3 years from now, possibly many years  beyond that. It will continue to be usable after updates cease, probably for several more years. 

So this is hardly a pressing matter.

Sonos has enough trouble with people stealing their tech, and people think they are going to make their code Open Source?  Not going to happen.

Besides, your car analogy is spot on.  Keep your Sonos in legacy mode and you can continue driving it, as is, for as long as you want.  Sonos will even issue bug fixes and security updates.  You just can't get any new features.

Userlevel 1

Hi John B

What you do not see is I have 2 Sonos amps in storage waiting for us to move into March 2020. We have built a new house and centered our entertainment around Sonos. When we move in this year we were planning on my play 3 my new Home Threatre amplifier that is Sonos compatible along with my 2 Sonos amps I storage, Thai checked are are labeled legacy. So you are in error when you say it is only a play 3 that is still current. 

My point is I would like to continue to use my amps, I am ok if there is no updates to new features. If my equipment continues to work great. All that I want

Then you will be fine after the change in May. The Connect;Amps will function normally too.

Badge

Dump Sonos, I’m tired too of all this, if the company wont’s support us then I’m moving on, I like my Sonos but frankly this is not rocket science and there are competitors out there, disregarding loyal customers is a strategic error IMHO.

People like me who work on a Windows COMPUTER do not want to have to pick up ANOTHER COMPUTER to adjust the treble on some music while we’re working.

People like me who work on a Windows COMPUTER do not want to have to pick up ANOTHER COMPUTER to adjust the treble on some music while we’re working.

I have to admit that's tough. Nobody should be asked to do that. Yes, time you dumped Sonos. 

Why do you think you will need to pick up another computer?

I assume he means a phone?

You don't have to. Click the Music EQ icon on the Desktop Controller.

All these years and you never found it? Surprising.

Dump Sonos, I’m tired too of all this, if the company wont’s support us then I’m moving on, I like my Sonos but frankly this is not rocket science and there are competitors out there, disregarding loyal customers is a strategic error IMHO.

1. Treble and EQ settings in general are the few settings that haven't been removed from the desktop.

2. These changes to the desktop are years old.  How important are they to you if you are just noticing now (or can't be bothered noticing they weren't removed at all)?

3. What exactly does this have to do with legacy vs. modern support of the software, the subject of the thread?

4. Sonos' software and especially their firmware contains patented, proprietary syncing techniques which have been copied by more than one competitor.  Bad enough they get reverse engineered, I highly doubt you will see Sonos give out the actual code.