Answered

On This Phone

I recently received a message that "On This Phone" is being eliminated. How will I be able to play songs from my playlists on my Iphone?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 24 June 2019, 17:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi RDW53

Find the answer to your question at the link with options: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585

Cheers!
I recently received a message that "On This Phone" is being eliminated. How will I be able to play songs from my playlists on my Iphone?
You will definitely not find the answer to your question at that link, Sonos has become another self serving obsolete platform that is moving backwards & calling it progress. If you can access music from your phone then Sonos is irrelevant & time to find the company that has solutions. Anyone want to buy an obsolete Sonos system for super cheap? Maybe I can con someone like sonos did to us to buy it at my garage sale.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Anyone want to buy an obsolete Sonos system for super cheap? Maybe I can con someone like sonos did to us to buy it at my garage sale.

Id take it if you were nearer to me.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I recently received a message that "On This Phone" is being eliminated. How will I be able to play songs from my playlists on my Iphone?You will definitely not find the answer to your question at that link, Sonos has become another self serving obsolete platform that is moving backwards & calling it progress. If you can access music from your phone then Sonos is irrelevant & time to find the company that has solutions. Anyone want to buy an obsolete Sonos system for super cheap? Maybe I can con someone like sonos did to us to buy it at my garage sale.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I recently received a message that "On This Phone" is being eliminated. How will I be able to play songs from my playlists on my Iphone?You will definitely not find the answer to your question at that link, Sonos has become another self serving obsolete platform that is moving backwards & calling it progress. If you can access music from your phone then Sonos is irrelevant & time to find the company that has solutions. Anyone want to buy an obsolete Sonos system for super cheap? Maybe I can con someone like sonos did to us to buy it at my garage sale.

Troy, AL? What do you consider “super cheap”? I would gladly take it off your hands if we have the same idea of “super cheap”.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Troy, AL? What do you consider “super cheap”? I would gladly take it off your hands if we have the same idea of “super cheap.”

i seriously am close enough to come to your garage sale (if you are in Troy, AL), and would like to know what you are charging.
Hi, I'm in Troy Michigan.
I'm going to put it as a silent auction at my garage sale & take whatever is offered.
I'm researching new audio system options and have come across a few that are also
controlled by smart phone app that don't seem like they will be outdated every few years
like Sonos is with their comm tech in the speakers. I'll post on it soon & start a new thread
for it.
M
I'm going to put it as a silent auction at my garage sale & take whatever is offered.
I'm researching new audio system options and have come across a few that are also
controlled by smart phone app that don't seem like they will be outdated every few years
like Sonos is with their comm tech in the speakers. I'll post on it soon & start a new thread
for it.
M

The original Sonos ZP100 is still supported and in use, and it is approaching 15 years old. It even supports Alexa voice control, a technology that wasn't even a gleam in Amazon's eye back in 2005. To accuse Sonos "comm tech" as being "outdated every few years" is utterly laughable, and even more so coming in a thread concerning Apple devices, which are the very definition of "planned obsolescence".

As usual in these threads, the hyperbole eventually drowns out any reasonable complaints, and the sympathy one has for the actual loss of the functionality gets lost in the noise. But hey, at least this one didn't compare the loss of functionality to a pet dying, a loved one being cut off life support.
Wow, did not see that coming. Thats on you Jgatie because that comment is the "noise". So if you have any real answers please let us know how to maintain functionality with smart phone control of a Sound Bar & Sub without purchasing new equipment when the "on this iPhone" feature is disabled.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
So if you have any real answers please let us know how to maintain functionality with smart phone control of a Sound Bar & Sub without purchasing new equipment when the "on this iPhone" feature is disabled.

There have been a number of options suggested. Whilst you can’t play music that is stored on your phone directly to your existing kit, you can continue to use the phone to control that music and play it from sources that will cost you nothing.

So so you can have almost identical capabilities without buying more Sonos or other kit, nor streaming services, nor anything else.

Or you have people interested in buying your Sonos gear from you.
Wow, did not see that coming. Thats on you Jgatie because that comment is the "noise". So if you have any real answers please let us know how to maintain functionality with smart phone control of a Sound Bar & Sub without purchasing new equipment when the "on this iPhone" feature is disabled.
@jgatie was not comparing anything to the Holocaust. He was referring to a ludicrous comparison made on another thread.

If you think you cannot continue to use your phone to control your Playbar ,(which is what you said) then you have completely misundetstood.

I didn't make the comparison, others did in other threads pertaining to their pet feature/product going away.

As to suggestions for alternatives, the very first post after the OP gave a link to a thread of alternatives. You replied thusly:

You will definitely not find the answer to your question at that link, Sonos has become another self serving obsolete platform that is moving backwards & calling it progress. If you can access music from your phone then Sonos is irrelevant & time to find the company that has solutions. Anyone want to buy an obsolete Sonos system for super cheap? Maybe I can con someone like sonos did to us to buy it at my garage sale.

I think we can both see where the "noise" is coming from. But hey, in for a penny, here are your alternatives and their relative pros/cons:

Buy an Airplay compatible Sonos speaker and group it with your current speakers.

Pros:
You can stream from any Airplay compatible app on your phone, which gives you far greater abilities besides tracks housed on your phone.

Cons:
Cost of at least a Sonos One. The grouping thing is kind of wonky.

Add your PC/Mac based library to Sonos

Pros:
Your entire library is available on all devices. Search is better. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
PC/Mac has to be on. Useless for those who don't own a PC/Mac.

Add your music library to an NAS drive

Pros:
Your entire library is available on all devices. Search is better. Music available 24/7, no need to keep a PC/Mac running. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
Cost. A 4 TB NAS goes for about $160.

Install Plex

Pros:
Free. Your entire library is available on all devices. Music available 24/7, no need to keep a PC/Mac running. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
Plex is wonky. Search is worse. Have to keep a PC running.

Upload library to free Google Play Music account.

Pros:
Free. Your entire library plus playlists are available on all devices. Also, each user can add their GPM account and access their library by default. Syncs to iTunes. Library is available to the GPM app on the device itself when not near Sonos. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
Some people refuse to get a Google account. Those with metered internet will possibly have charges for streaming.
for it.
M

I think you meant 'sourced', not 'controlled'. But anyway, I think your research will show that the only way you'll be able to play audio stored on your phone to a home audio speaker wirelessly will be through bluetooth or airplay. Airplay has somewhat limited options, one of them being Sonos, sonos one being the cheapest option. Bluetooth, or course, has tons of options. I would be surprised though if you can sell a playbar + sub and then purchase a comparable sound quality soundbar + sub with bluetooth without spending under $200. So I think adding a Sonos One would be a cheaper option. If your goal is more about making a statement then being cost effective though....yea, you can do that.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
for it.
M

I’d be interested in any other systems you could suggest. You will probably get a load of sneery comments telling you those systems are rubbish but I’m interested in anything that doesn’t tie me down to using my pc or yet another 3rd party. I have the files on my phone, I just want to listen to them.

I’d be interested in any other systems you could suggest. You will probably get a load of sneery comments telling you those systems are rubbish but I’m interested in anything that doesn’t tie me down to using my pc or yet another 3rd party. I have the files on my phone, I just want to listen to them.

Do you know what a Bluetooth speaker is - it would satisfy your needs.
Jnatie, first let me say a sincere thanks for the Pro/Con list you listed, very helpful on. I did misinterpret what you had written in first response, no worries of course. My reason for being so critical of Sonos while reserving a small amount of same frustration for mac is because my mac book pr is like the engine for such a large part of my life (noted they do roll out improvements that create a share of new problem) & the improvements over every 5 years are so significant (speed / memory / etc) that the investment in a new "engine" seems warranted but a stereo system for almost the same price shouldn't lose it convenience factor when that was a big selling point they marketed; "play it right from your phone...". I've read that with NAS "compatibility" issues are not uncommon, i think something about file types & firmware; also on several of these you lose playlists; Google Play I wasn't aware of, can you tell me what the metered service charges would be for?.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
can you tell me what the metered service charges would be for?.

Data.

Some ISPs still have a data cap. So after a certain amount of time streaming may not really be an option if you're above the limit and being throttled.