Not very elegant Sonos and Apple

• 10 December 2014
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi,

Today happened what I dreaded for some time. I was forced to update my Sonos systems and now both my iPad 1 tablets will not work with Sonos anymore. We have them wall-mounted so we can control music all over the place. I am very disappointed to say the least. We had planned to buy some more Sonos systems but the announcement at the beginning of this year stopped us. I hate companies that don't give me control over what is mine. Sonos nor Apple own the gear at my home, I do.

Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

And the ZP80 is still going strong, and that is also irrelevant. What is happening here is that the iPad can no longer cope with what Sonos now does, not the other way round. The solution would be to buy a newer Apple product. Buying a new Sonos product would not help. You don't have to believe the obsolescence is deliberate to recognise that it is the Apple product that is obsolete, in this context anyway.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I hate people blaming apple for making things obsolete. An 9 year old, late 2009 MacBook is still compatible with the latest MacOS High Sierra and a 5 year old iPhone is still compatible with the latest iOS which once again is almost unheard of for a mobile phone.

1. Have you read the whole thread? I have said that devices get left behind, because their max API level is too low for the minimum API needed for a certain function of an app - or that function cannot be offered. And I am completely fine with that, as long as app programmers don't exaggerate with using only the latest and greatest.

2. You are seriously answering to a 3 year old thread???
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I hate people blaming apple for making things obsolete. An 9 year old, late 2009 MacBook is still compatible with the latest MacOS High Sierra and a 5 year old iPhone is still compatible with the latest iOS which once again is almost unheard of for a mobile phone.

1. Have you read the whole thread? I have said that devices get left behind, because their max API level is too low for the minimum API needed for a certain function of an app - or that function cannot be offered. And I am completely fine with that, as long as app programmers don't exaggerate with using only the latest and greatest.

2. You are seriously answering to a 3 year old thread???

1. I was replying to your comment about blaming apple rather than Sonos for an update being incompatible.

2. I did not realise this was a 3 year old thread. My bad. It showed up as a related topic to another topic I was looking at, so I read it. I would not have replied had I realised the last post was 3 years ago. Sorry.