Answered

Non-grounded plug

Power surge/power outtage here at my house. Sonos white light on box unlit, so not working. Have re-booted everything, disconnected etc and still no luck. I fear box is now useless. Silly me for not having Sonos plugged into surge protector bar. I do wonder why Sonos uses a non-grounded type prong for their box instead of the large/small prong?
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 5 May 2018, 23:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The type of plug a device uses is based on the internal design of the device, some are fine with a non-polarized plug, some need a polarized one and some need a grounded plug. The manufacturer has to meet safety standards so there is no saving money by trying to use a cheaper but unsafe plug.
Thanks for the electrical info. Bottom line is bridge will not power up, no lights of any sort. I suspect either a new Sonos bridge power cord or a new bridge is required.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Bridge power supply is easy to swap out, likely it is all that is wrong unless it burned up badly and toasted the Bridge innards.
Bridge power supply is easy to swap out, likely it is all that is wrong unless it burned up badly and toasted the Bridge innards.

Any place to order parts and on how to switch it out? I had a power surge at the office complex I work at. Many people had their laptops and other electronics die. I have two Sonos Ones and one is no longer powering up. I'm hoping I can make repairs myself, as I live in SE Asia, and a new one is double the price from where I bought them in the states.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Bridge power supply is just a plug in so swapping it is simple.

First step in any Sonos failure is to contact Sonos support and see what your options are. Often they can provide something to help. Once you have opened up the device your support options are pretty much gone so don't do that first.

There are multiple repair topics here, you'd have to search them out, I'd recommend using an external search engine (restricted to the site) over the built-in forum search tool that is very weak.

I highly recommend a quality surge suppressor on any Sonos device, you can get a Trip-Lite for under $20 that will stop a lot of problems from causing damage and offers insurance if it doesn't.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00009K79U/?coliid=IC5ELM5N6KKXH&colid=BTENZ0UERRC9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it