Question

No Windows App

It looks as though Sonos will NOT be developing an App for the Windows Phone - which is very disappointing. As they know, Windows is by far the most popular OS on desktops and laptops and I choose to use the Windows phones because of the tight integration with the desktop and laptop and the unique ability to share people directories and calendars which can be read/updated from any Windows device. I'll probably have to abandon my plans to use Sonos in every room... unless someone has first hand knowledge and recommendation for a reliable 3rd Party Phone App that is compatible with Sonos speakers? Does anyone use one?.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe the 3rd party app is called Phonos. I do not have a Windows Phone so I have not tried it out. I assume you will be able to do about everything except run system setup options with it.
Phonos is the most popular. Note on your plans to abandon Sonos: No other multi-room audio system supports Windows Mobile or UWP apps at this time. Though a poster here says he was told Denon is working on a UWP app (take that as you will), there are no formal announcements to support Windows Mobile or UWP apps by any of Sonos' competitors. Also, Sonos has officially announced that the future is in Voice Control, which relies on no particular OS, Windows or otherwise, for the vast majority of use. Certainly the current Windows program is more than sufficient for the setup and services issues not covered by the 90% of tasks which are easily accomplished by Voice Control.
Phonos is the most popular. Note on your plans to abandon Sonos: No other multi-room audio system supports Windows Mobile or UWP apps at this time. Though a poster here says he was told Denon is working on a UWP app (take that as you will), there are no formal announcements to support Windows Mobile or UWP apps by any of Sonos' competitors. Also, Sonos has officially announced that the future is in Voice Control, which relies on no particular OS, Windows or otherwise, for the vast majority of use. Certainly the current Windows program is more than sufficient for the setup and services issues not covered by the 90% of tasks which are easily accomplished by Voice Control.

thanks - I'll look at Phonos. Not sure about Voice Control - especially as I'm likely to be in the room with a wireless speaker on loud at the time! The current Windows phone is more than capable of supporting the App. The Sonos position appears to be more political than practical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Voice control is handy for listening to a couple songs but still doesn't replace building your own playlists. But can be surprisingly useful for a quick song.

thanks - I'll look at Phonos. Not sure about Voice Control - especially as I'm likely to be in the room with a wireless speaker on loud at the time! The current Windows phone is more than capable of supporting the App. The Sonos position appears to be more political than practical.

I'm pretty sure Sonos' position is financial, not political. The Windows phone market share is miniscule and declining, and the bulk of Sonos' development resources are dedicated to voice and streaming solutions which are far more likely to drive sales.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Actually. The feedback I read about voice control systems is that the voice interpretation interfaces are remarkably good at understanding speech - Yes, even Americans speaking English! We would assume that once Sonos integrate voice control that it would have the ability to filter any playing music out of any speech it detects making it less likely that loud music would affect voice control (That would only work if the source of the music was Sonos itself rather than some random dude with a ghetto blaster on his head).
Yes +1 to Stuart for that. A voice-controlled music system that didn't work because...er...there's music playing, isn't going to do much for Sonos' reputation. I'm sure they'll do better than that.
Badge
Hi Stuart,
I wrote yesterday in another thread about having concerns with voice control when you're playing loud music and it seems I'm not the only one. However if you're interested in a Windows 10 controller app with voice control you can try Zonos. It's a Windows 10 UWP app tghat supports Cortana. Unfortunately for me Cortana does not work in Dutch, yet.
I think you will just have to shout "Stop Motorhead" as loud as you can.
Hi Stuart,
I wrote yesterday in another thread about having concerns with voice control when you're playing loud music and it seems I'm not the only one. However if you're interested in a Windows 10 controller app with voice control you can try Zonos. It's a Windows 10 UWP app tghat supports Cortana. Unfortunately for me Cortana does not work in Dutch, yet.

The cutting edge of voice control at the moment is Amazon Echo/Alexa. They have successfully solved the problem of background noise and/or music playing over the voice commands (wouldn't be a very smart idea to release a music speaker with voice control if they didn't).
Didn't Microsoft recently throw in the towel on their miserable failure in the smartphone arena? Why would any company build software to run on phones that no one wants?
Didn't Microsoft recently throw in the towel on their miserable failure in the smartphone arena? Why would any company build software to run on phones that no one wants?

Be prepared for the cut-and-paste canned response that "it's not about Windows Phone, it's about UWP, which has two hundred and eleventy million users and it's the bestest there is."**

**Note: Now that Sonos announced they will not do a UWP app, these cut-and-paste declarations that "it's not about Windows Phone" are exclusively from Windows Phone users.
I think you will just have to shout "Stop Motorhead" as loud as you can.

Why would anyone want to stop Motorhead? 😉
Hi Sonos!
I wanted to buy for more than 3420€. Unfortunately, there is no Windows 10 / 10 Mobile app. So I decided to postpone. That's really sad because you will not earn monney from me and because I will not enjoy with your products. There are other good sound products so I will reconsider my purchase. According to me, that is really a looser-looser deal! There are more than 400 million Windows 10 users. Ok, Windows 10 Mobile is not the most used phone OS (but according to me the most pleasant but it is a personnal point of view!). And with the Universal app, you can developp only one app and it is available for PCs, Pads and phones. That's creazy you don't do this app. When you see Phonos or Zonos who created one, I guess you could make this effort to develop one. read about the UWP apps. With Xamarin project that is easier to develop and app... You can also convert and iOS app in Windows 10 / Windows 10 Mobile...
So if you say it is a financial reason, I guess that is false: more than 3420€ you loose juste because you have no Windows 10 app. How many people like me?
If that is a political reason: that is your choice to ignore more than 400 millions people. But in this case, that is my choice to ignore Sonos... Leave the looser-looser deal for a win-win deal!
Thanks for considering! :)
Pierre, from France
Pierre, I'm sure Sonos got your message. Please refrain from digging up every old Windows 10 thread to post the same message. Repeating the same message in multiple threads is considered SPAM.