Answered

No selections are available - again and again - no errors reported

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

I’ve got a QNAP TVS-671 where I have one folder which holds my audiobooks and music in 4 sub folders. I link those 4 folders using the Sonos controller app from my laptop. The laptop is connected to the network with an ethernet cable. There are a bunch of Sonos Play 1 and a Sonos Playbar in the network.

So under “Music Library” → Folders  I see 4 folders one of them is “music”.

One day I see that in the music library the music folder has no entries and “No selections are available” is shown. As I had this issue I called support and they asked me to use a different folder and so I created a new one and moved all my files step by step over to a new folder. It took me 3 days to go through all the indexing and finally I had it working. Then I made some changes to a few files, about 30 of them and in the next morning I see that the whole index is gone. “No selections are available” was again shown in the music folder of the music library - no errors in the controller (Help → Errors Log) - nothing. Calling the support did not help at all as they said I should just start the indexing again.

From now on they focused on the latest indexing rather than telling me what error happened over night. If the controller in the morning tries to find the index and cannot do so then it must log an error that is then picked up when submitting a diagnostics. There is clearly a major gap in the software which does not report on errors, which is very frustrating. It can’t be that I have to re-index the folder over and over.

Checking on sizes the told me that I have about 41000 entries out of 65000 and that the memory is at about 91%. That was before I changed some files. The number of additional files cannot be that big to reach 100% as it was only 30 of them. Also, even if it goes to 100%, it should still be able to report on the error and display the index properly. 

Does anyone have similar experience or a solution to it?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 July 2022, 19:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I haven’t experienced the same issue, but I would certainly index your music library reasonably often, if you are changing it frequently. I tend to index overnight each day. 

It isn’t a 65,000 track limit by the way as some tracks metadata/path etc. may sometimes use more than one slot within the index - it sounds like you may have reached some kind of Sonos library limit, so perhaps remove the tracks added and then see if you can then re-index and get it working again. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @Ken_Griffiths,

as you haven’t experienced the same issue I don’t find it helpful to speculate on the issue. I have contacted Sonos support before and they assured me that I am not running out of space and have not reached any limits. This I already mentioned in the post, sorry to see that you ignore it.

It’s sad to see that someone already flagged your answer as the “Best answer” where it adds nothing towards a resolution. Re-indexing often does also not help at all. In fact the issue happened when I had the auto-indexing running overnight. I switched it now off to have more control over it. There is not need for re-indexing when I don’t change the data.

Perhaps this will help, as you go onto check the metadata in your library tracks… NB: I only suggested you re-index your library if you’re changing the library tracks frequently, if not, then you can index them manually instead.

Anyhow here are the Sonos limitations for the various track tags…

Field Name Character Limits

• Artists - 76
  • Album - 92
  • Track - 100
  • Genre - 22
  • File name - 100

These things can be very quickly checked in common editor Apps, such as MP3Tag, for example.

Artwork parameters are outlined in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/543

I hope that information may go onto assist you further with your library indexing & availability issues.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Ken_Griffiths this is again not sensible for the case I described. Please can you go back and read it again. If any of those limitations were relevant than I would never achieve to index, but clearly that is possible but with a whole bunch of random error messages in between.

The Sonos application needs sensible and proper error descriptions rather than the ones it reports now. 

A sudden drop and failure which causes the index to disappear needs to have a relevant and sensible error to it - and the application does not have that currently.

I have split my data now into 3 folders (as suggested in a different post) and so far I haven’t had the error again, which does not mean that I never have it again in case my sound file base grows.