No More Sonos for Me

• 3 November 2018
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
My reason for buying a multi-room Sonos system was to enjoy my large PC-based music collection throughout the whole house. Removing functionality from the Windows PC controller makes this a lot less enjoyable because now I need to both use my computer and keep a phone or tablet with me all the time. I own 6 Sonos speakers now and was interested in upgrading to newer models, but now I've changed my mind because functionality is being removed for desktop users, rather than improved. Restore and improve desktop functionality or kiss my thousands of dollars' worth of business goodbye forever.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

now I need to ... keep a phone or tablet with me all the timeWhy? Are you carrying out system setup and configuration tasks on a regular basis? The PC controller is still perfectly functional for music playback control, together with library and playlist management.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I own 6 Sonos speakers now and was interested in upgrading to newer models

While the move to "PC is a player only, an Android or iOS device for controlling the system is a requirement" is a bad move, if you don't already own compatible Android/iOS hardware, you maybe just need to think of buying additional dedicated controller hardware (ie. a cheap Android tablet) as a tax. Sonos just got more expensive for some users, but if you're already heavily invested in Sonos (and six speakers says that you are), consider the per-room cost of maintaining your Sonos system, against the cost of an alternative.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I do need to restore and change my setup frequently, and now Sonos just made it more complicated because it will required two different devices to be used instead of just my computer. Since I'm heavily invested in Sonos speakers already, I will continue to use what I have but I am no longer considering a playbase, beam, or sub.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I do (did) all system management from my PC, which is the admin hub for my entire network. I need to do it here because I have accessibility issues which make doing system admin on a smartphone especially difficult. i use the smartphone app as rarely as I can, mostly for pausing music.

Thanks a bunch Sonos. You clearly didn't think about people with accessibility problems one tiny bit.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ha, same thing here. I wrote a question about this a few hours ago (https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/no-more-sonos-system-6814922) and didn't see this one before I posted.
But it's my sentiments exactly. As an admin I need to control traffic, network and attached devices regularly. Removing this functionality from the Sonos desktop controller is a big issue and a bad move. We invested in this system to play music and frequently group / ungroup speakers for different venues and reasons. There is no way in hell this can be done with the same security and privacy using a phone app. I am very disappointed. And I fear the only thing Sonos will say is 'thanks for the bucks but now we want this and we're gonna remove the desktop app soon anyway'. Saves Sonos more money but frankly, this is an arrogant move.
Where is everyone getting the idea that grouping and ungrouping is no longer possible from the Desktop Controller? :?

This is the second thread claiming they removed this function and it is just not so. They removed items from the Settings menu, not any basic controls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do need to restore and change my setup frequently, and now Sonos just made it more complicated because it will required two different devices to be used instead of just my computer. Since I'm heavily invested in Sonos speakers already, I will continue to use what I have but I am no longer considering a playbase, beam, or sub.

Whilst I am not a fan of Sonos removing desktop functionality from the controller I find it hard to believe you need to "restore" your system regularly. The only thing I can imagine you doing is un-breaking stereo pairs, moving speakers around and/or adding /removing subs.

I have 11 speakers in my small house and I rarely need to access the set-up options.

If you're restoring or adding speakers because they are dropping off you have network issues that it would be beneficial for you to resolve
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Where is everyone getting the idea that grouping and ungrouping is no longer possible from the Desktop Controller? :?

Everyone? As in one person?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Whilst I am not a fan of Sonos removing desktop functionality from the controller I find it hard to believe you need to "restore" your system regularly. The only thing I can imagine you doing is un-breaking stereo pairs, moving speakers around and/or adding /removing subs.

I have 11 speakers in my small house and I rarely need to access the set-up options.

If you're restoring or adding speakers because they are dropping off you have network issues that it would be beneficial for you to resolve

Your disbelief doesn't change the fact that people have specified valid use cases for the Desktop Controller.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Your disbelief doesn't change the fact that people have specified valid use cases for the Desktop Controller.

I didn't suggest by any streeeeeeetch of the imagination that others didn't or don't have valid use cases and there are clearly some people who can't control their systems or those they manage without a desktop app. I simply stated that I find it hard to believe that annanemas HAS to "restore " their set-up (Whatever that actually means).

Either way I do believe that Sonos have made a wrong decision here.

Everyone? As in one person?

Sorry, did not check the usernames. It certainly has appeared as a limitation in more than one thread. My apologies for using a royal pronoun. :8
I do (did) all system management from my PC, which is the admin hub for my entire network. I need to do it here because I have accessibility issues which make doing system admin on a smartphone especially difficult. i use the smartphone app as rarely as I can, mostly for pausing music.

Thanks a bunch Sonos. You clearly didn't think about people with accessibility problems one tiny bit.

Paul, for my own education because I am truly ignorant on the subject, what is it about a PC that makes it easier to use in terms of accessibility then a large tablet + keyboard/mouse? I can think of cost, if you already have a PC vs don't currently have a large tablet setup. The rest, I just don't know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
melvimbe, I can comment on that tablet versus PC issue since we tried it here.

We bought a 12" tablet hoping the wife could use it, she found it too small and hard to read sitting on a stand.

Her picking it up to read it is a problem, at first because of the trailing power wire and the difficulty in not triggering the touch screen to do something unwanted. Tried a magnetic, quick release/attach power cable that helped a bit but the touch was still an issue.

The Bluetooth keyboard and mouse option does work fairly well but the Sonos tablet app seems much more usable by touch for me.

All said with that 12 inch tablet we have just built another desktop but with aggravating features and a too small monitor.

She does reasonably well with a 27 inch monitor on her desk with a full sized keyboard and small mouse to fit her hand.
Thank you Stanley.
Badge
After spending more than £2000 (while I still had a job) on Sonos speakers I am left with a non-working system as a result of Sonos removing backward compatibility for desktop apps. (without informing any customers or retailers ).
Making unilateral decisions at Sonos without any consultation/communication is totally unacceptable.
I do not want to be forced to use a smartphone or tablet (yes, some people really can't afford an extra £60 - £100? to get status quo restored.
So far the replies suggest you don't need to change anything once set up.
This is a ridiculous statement as if one changes BB provider a new router is supplied and the setup MUST be run again from the controller.

This is a ridiculous statement as if one changes BB provider a new router is supplied and the setup MUST be run again from the controller.
Actually, no. A new setup is completely unnecessary in that situation. And for a system in Boost mode all you do is unplug the wired device from the old router and plug it in the new one, then reboot everything. I just did that myself last week.
Badge
Thank you, John, for your reply but I have already done as you suggested to no avail.
I only have a PC Windows desktop app, no tablet, smartphone etc and nothing now works.
You may be unaware that the options menu in the latest downloaded app has greyed out options under "settings" so I can't understand how you managed to do his.
I did ask Sonos for a link to the old PC controller which worked and they were very evasive and only directed me to ios and Andriod apps.
As I now have no music I would be grateful if you could explain exactly how you did this on the PC
Hi. I am entirely aware of the limitations of the desktop controller. My point is that I didn't need a controller at all.
Please tell us what speakers you have, whether you normally have a Sonos component wired to your router, and what you have done so far. We may be able to help.
Next time read up this guide. There's no need to perform a factory reset in order to change WiFi settings.
Indeed, if @davidjohnnewman has factory reset speakers (I hope not), then the chance to change routers in a hassle-free way has gone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Could he have gave his new router the same "SSID and password" as the old one, I read that on here, not that it means diddly squat to me 😞
Badge
I have 2 wireless Sonos 5, two Sonos 1 in my system, connected via Wi-Fi
I have changed my BB provider and connected to router fine for Internet.
Installed new app for Windows from the official site.
(as I was instructed to do when I rebooted everything.)
Although it is true that the new app "sees" the speakers above it does not let me set them up.(no option)
I selected "Reset controller" from the very small number of options in the main menu, because of this.
Resetting did not help - was this a mistake? If so what should have been done?
If I do not need to, as you suggest, then how do I use Sonus without a controller?
eg before I had BBC stations saved etc and now there is nothing?
I have always controlled my music from the PC and now cannot
Could he have gave his new router the same "SSID and password" as the old one, I read that on here, not that it means diddly squat to me :(That is often suggested, and logically 'should' work for a system in Standard (wifi) set up. But it seems it works sometimes and sometimes not, to judge by reports on here. It isn't necessary in Boost mode.
I am not suggesting you can use Sonos without a controller. I am saying you don't need to do anything with the controller to switch providers. Please do the following:
1. Power all your speakers off.
2. Wire one speaker to your new router by Ethernet.
3. Power up that speaker. Wait a couple of minutes.
4. Power up another speaker (wireless).
5. With your PC linked to your new network, see if you can use the desktop app to play music. If you reset the controller that does not matter, but once you have your speakers up and running choose 'connect to existing system' if you need to.

Please then post back to say what has happened and we'll take it from there.

You do not need to 'set up' your speakers.