Question

No love for the CR100

• 27 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
I love the CR100. It's so much faster than running an app on my iPhone (just pick it up and you're off...no app to run, no new interface to learn), it has dedicated buttons for all of the major features, and I've been using it for about 9 years now.

Recently Pandora stopped working from the CR100. I can play Pandora from my iPhone, but not the CR100. When I select it, the CR100 says "Unable to browse music". So I tried going to the Music Menu > System Settings > Music Service Settings, OH but wait! Music Service Settings has been removed. Now there is NO WAY to add, change or remove music services from the CR100.

Don't get me wrong, I know the CR100 is a dinosaur. I know it doesn't have enough oomph to run the new protocols, etc. I just want my Pandora to continue working. And if that's not possible then would Sonos be willing to open up the CR100 code to the Open Source community? Maybe some of us developers could revive the best little Sonos controller out there...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I have 2 CR100 controllers and both had the same issue. I did a factory reset of both of them and now they connect to and browse Pandora just fine.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
And, unlike the new iPad app, the CR100 is easy to use. I don't know who designed the interface for the new iPad app, but it's the most unfriendly thing I've seen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
My CR100 still shows me my Pandora Stations. Search doesnt work (did it before? Never tried). No need to add/remove services via the CR100 itself as that can be done from any controller.

The CR100 uses embedded flash, and is a really old, ugly codebase. (Yes, I've seen it). Best to leave it well alone IMHO.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Also the CR100 is out of room: the reason many features have been removed over the years is that there simply isnt room in the device for the necessary code/data.
Userlevel 1
I also love The CR100 - even though it's old (got new battery) it looks good as it is placed firmly in its cradle on the wall. It's my preferred device to regulate the volume, mute or group with another room. I hate when I'm not next to the CR100 and have to enter my passcode on phones or pads for hereafter entering the app - just so I quickly can mute the sound. I don't need any new update to the old CR100. All new features I can get to on the (newer) phones or pads.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
I heard earlier this week, but got the Sonos email today about the CR100 being redundant from April. Well thanks a lot SONOS. With 28 Sonos products in 17 zones I've invested a lot since 2006 (according to your records). The CR100 was about £300 each and I bought 8 of which 6 are still working (at least until April). Call it £2500 invested in controllers and docks; and you think I just want to recycle them! Oh, and better still you think I'll use the same £100 offer that you give to a person who has bought a single CR100 to buy more Sonos!

My world doesn't work like that, so I'll either have to fathom a way to no longer do Sonos updates and just rely on my local library (Google Play and Amazon have been unavailable on the CR100 for a long time) or use an Echo Dot as my line-in for streaming.

Either way, I can no longer endorse the Sonos ecosytem given their attitude to obsolescence. My sons both have a Play 1 Blue Note and I'll let them decide if they plan to add any more. I won't be buying any more myself even with your token gesture of £100 to sweeten the very bitter pill.

If it works, then let it serve out it's useful life. My oldest dog turns 11 soon and doesn't do much but sleep, eat and wag his tail. I wouldn't dream of doing what you are doing...
I wonder if this is an early indication that the Sonos architecture model needs to be rethought? The notion of major audio components going obsolete the way smartphones and tablets do is not really viable for anybody with more than a handful of rooms. Maybe there needs to be some physical separation between the parts that have to be updated frequently as services and features change and the more expensive speakers, amplifiers and controllers that make up the stable infrastructure of the system. If there was a server component that fed the features and content to the stable infrastructure then that could be easily updated or replaced without bothering the individual room devices which could communicate through a fixed API and accept whatever new abilities are pushed to them through it. Older components might not support all new features or have the latest API extensions but they would continue to work for basic stuff. Any RAM or ROM limitations of the field device would not hold back the ability to upgrade the server side with new features so while older devices might stop getting new features they would continue to operate the subset that is within their capability.

I have no problem obsoleting a single central component every few years but scaling that out to replace everything in every room (where Sonos seems to be headed) just isn't a good model for whole-house audio gear. That model works for phones maybe but most people never scale out their mobile phone purchases to a dozen or more rooms worth.
Go to any thrift store in your city. You will see piles of obsolete, big ugly black AVRs. Still perfectly functional for 2-channel audio, but lacking newer standards like HDMI connectors, or 5.1/7.1/9.1 etc, whatever the newer AV fad. Or the latest version of DTS or Dolby or whatever. They come up with some new decoder or HDMI version or whatnot every model year. These things are obsoleted by their manufacturers every 2-3 years. A 10+ year lifespan for Sonos products is FAR greater than the norm. Only one product in their history, to my knowledge, will be obsoleted, a peripheral that has outlived its usefulness, and has far better replacements which have been available for years.
I agree with your AVR analogy and am on my third one for the exact reasons you describe but I consider that to be the "central component" I don't mind changing every few years. Changing that did not force any changes to my speakers, universal remote, or TV. I can also easily revert back if after upgrading I don't like the way the new one works. If it breaks I can also replace it with a unit of the same model if I can find one for sale on EBay or wherever... nothing forcesme to get the latest version.

Changing out central components that interface new sources is logical. An upgrade that would force me to change out the universal remotes in every room just to accommodate a new source would not be acceptable so it is fortunate those expensive remotes can be left alone when I swap out my AVR. It would be great if Sonos could move to an AVR like model where they update one central component and leave everything else in the ecosystem alone.
Userlevel 1
While I will miss my CR100's as they have been very reliable I am pleased that Sonos has not only kept them around for so long but also has provided for all of the "odd ball" use cases I have in my life. I can continue to manage my kids internet use by providing a 'dedicated' controller on older (Android 5) low end hardware. I can allow the new dedicated controller on the SonosNet, Pin the app and have no concerns about inappropriate internet usage at 3 am. Thank You for that.

And while I do love the interface of the CR100 as a dedicated machine - and I agree that the App is not as good an experience for me - I also have to agree that we must move forward. I think THIS company (Sonos) provides the BEST customer experience. I truly believe they listen to us, the customer, and work toward a 99% solution (unlike most other providers who work toward an 80% solution). My original ZP-100 and ZP-80 are still function (coming up on their 10th anniversary now) and I cannot say that of any audio product I have purchased in the past 10 years (iPod Touch - less than three years, XM Roadie - less than a year, any computer base device, cell phone based device, etc).

So I say THANK YOU CR-100 You have made my life better. And Thank You SONOS for letting this device live a long and productive life - even after it was not 'fiscally responsible' to keep it around.
Badge
+1 for open sourcing. Hopefully the open source community can continue development.