Answered

nice speakers - software sucks - WHY???

• 23 February 2020
  • 24 replies

What is it with you guys? Outside of your speakers, you can’t seem to do anything right. Even your cookie notice doesn’t work the way it says. The verbiage says IF you accept then… but there’s no way not to accept. There’s no law that says I have to have them and I already paid exorbitantly for your hardware. I don’t want your damn cookies! i don’t want you in my life. I just want plumbing that controls the speakers  

Next: why can’t I just delete everything and start over? Are you so arrogant you believe you can’t get it wrong? Or do you just not care? 

Next: why can’t I get out of your stupid useless beta program without having to get your engineer on the phone only during business hours when I’m supposed to be working??  Your beta testing is nothing more than more dumb decisions on your part to remove us from being able to control these inexplicably expensive speakers the way we want to and to give you more control to force your selfish inane decisions on us. How is it that you think you know how my ears work better than me???  I followed your instructions to the letter on a new iPhone 10 and not only does any attempt at updating fail miserably, there is no way to move forward without it. That’s just incredibly stupid coding!

Next:  why can’t you just let us control each speaker individually and then allow us to group and ungroup them on the fly as we wish so we can sit where we want to in a room and center the sound there? Why don’t you allow us to choose how loud the rear speakers should be instead of only giving us your two wholly inadequate choices? And why after years of making and selling this stuff don’t you give us a decent multichannel equalizer?  Have you not paid attention to why there are so many of your developing partners are writing software just to give us some level of acceptable and make sense control over your speakers?

Next: why can’t you take into account that some of your customers may be hearing impaired and simply need more control than you care to offer?  

Finally: get a grip on some humility and quit thinking you know stuff that you simply and obviously don’t!  

I would return the whole mess if the store would take them back but it’s been too long now and given your inability to do much else right, I’m not about to trust you to return my money after I box them up and ship them out. 

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 27 February 2020, 01:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @YourDaddyNow 

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns about your system.  I'm sorry to hear about the  troubles you are currently having with your system. We prefer to keep all beta related discussion off of the public community since it's confidential and not available to everyone.  You will find instructions for leaving the Sonos Beta Program here.

If you would like to delete everything and start over, you certainly can but you will need to make sure that your user profile has been removed completely from Beta or else you will need to start a new Sonos account and household. We don't recommend this course as it will erase all music service and playlist information stored on your system.

If you would prefer to control your speakers as individual units rather than as a bonded surround sound home theater system, you can do this also. Just follow these steps to un-bond your surround speakers and then configure each of your Play: 1 speakers as an individual room or as a stereo pair.

You will then be able to group your players to your Beam to get front-channel audio to your other speakers as you see fit.

You may also choose to keep your players bonded and adjust your surround audio settings to see if this help get you the audio experience you are looking for. You may also find our speech enhancement settings helpful if you have difficulty hearing dialog, as I do.

I do understand that the lack of a multi channel equalizer is a sore point and I've shared your feedback with the appropriate teams regarding what you've been seeing. They're always interested in what our users have to say. If you'd like a hand here with anything, I'm happy to assist.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

What is it with you guys? Outside of your speakers, you can’t seem to do anything right. Even your cookie notice doesn’t work the way it says. The verbiage says IF you accept then… but there’s no way not to accept. There’s no law that says I have to have them and I already paid exorbitantly for your hardware. I don’t want your damn cookies! i don’t want you in my life. I just want plumbing that controls the speakers  

Next: why can’t I just delete everything and start over? Are you so arrogant you believe you can’t get it wrong? Or do you just not care? 

Next: why can’t I get out of your stupid useless beta program without having to get your engineer on the phone only during business hours when I’m supposed to be working??  Your beta testing is nothing more than more dumb decisions on your part to remove us from being able to control these inexplicably expensive speakers the way we want to and to give you more control to force your selfish inane decisions on us. How is it that you think you know how my ears work better than me???  I followed your instructions to the letter on a new iPhone 10 and not only does any attempt at updating fail miserably, there is no way to move forward without it. That’s just incredibly stupid coding!

Next:  why can’t you just let us control each speaker individually and then allow us to group and ungroup them on the fly as we wish so we can sit where we want to in a room and center the sound there? Why don’t you allow us to choose how loud the rear speakers should be instead of only giving us your two wholly inadequate choices? And why after years of making and selling this stuff don’t you give us a decent multichannel equalizer?  Have you not paid attention to why there are so many of your developing partners are writing software just to give us some level of acceptable and make sense control over your speakers?

Next: why can’t you take into account that some of your customers may be hearing impaired and simply need more control than you care to offer?  

Finally: get a grip on some humility and quit thinking you know stuff that you simply and obviously don’t!  

I would return the whole mess if the store would take them back but it’s been too long now and given your inability to do much else right, I’m not about to trust you to return my money after I box them up and ship them out. 

100% agree sonos engineers know how to do their job well .... but what if I prefer to feel it in a different way? lack of MQA, DTS, dd + etc. AND STILL WRITE THE GUIDE FOR IMPROVING DIALOGUES IN FILMS

100% agree sonos engineers know how to do their job well .... but what if I prefer to feel it in a different way? lack of MQA, DTS, dd + etc. AND STILL WRITE THE GUIDE FOR IMPROVING DIALOGUES IN FILMS 

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Just spam:rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

it is clear that we speak a different language but I did not understand what you wrote ... on the forums you can also write the things that above all do not go well and the needs of each customer or at least in part evidently only listen to music .... or  pretend you don't know a greeting

Userlevel 1
Badge

I totally agree with you. I am sitting here for half an hour now, trying to setup a Sonos Play:1 that once worked but stopped because WIFI settings have changed. It’s a pure nightmare. And I am a software developer, not a noob. Sonos, your software completely sucks.

@waldgeist . Have you tried temporarily wiring the speaker to your router?

Is b/g/n enabled on your 2.4GHz band?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Nope. I have reset the device now, so the app can at least find it. But then I got stuck on the Wireless Setup screen. The button just does nothing. It reads “Open Accessory Configuration” (in German, though).

Userlevel 1
Badge

Every time I get confronted with the SONOS software, it is driving me mad. I completely understand why these guys are laying off their staff. The software quality is just ridiculously low.

So you didn't think it worth following the instructions for a change of router, which state to temporarily wire the speaker?

Userlevel 1
Badge

To your question: All bands are available on my router. The problem is that the app totally sucks. It either won’t find the system at all (until I reset it), or it gets stuck even before I get to the actual WIFI setup, showing a not working button. If I go back in the app, I even have to login again. Errors everywhere.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So you didn't think it worth following the instructions for a change of router, which state to temporarily wire the speaker?

The router is configured correctly. I even have a pro router here that supports all bands, and all are active. If you ask me, this is *not* a router problem, this is a pure software problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge

temporarily wire the speaker?

I will try this.

A bit late now that you have factory reset the speaker. Is this the only speaker you have? 

If you have any speakers that have not been factory reset please do not reset them.

Nope. I have reset the device now, so the app can at least find it. But then I got stuck on the Wireless Setup screen. The button just does nothing. It reads “Open Accessory Configuration” (in German, though).

As a developer, you may find that Apple has an open bug in its Wireless Accessory Configuration in a recent release of iOS ... have you tried cabling the speaker to the router, or perhaps just go onto try a different non-iOS controller?

Userlevel 1
Badge

A bit late now that you have factory reset the speaker. Is this the only speaker you have? 

If you have any speakers that have not been factory reset please do not reset them.

The factory reset was recommended on the SONOS page if the device would not respond. So of course I did this. And yes, it’s the only SONOS speaker I have.

Userlevel 1
Badge

As a developer, you may find that Apple ‘ may have an open bug in its Wireless Accessory Configuration in a recent release of iOS ... have you tried cabling the speaker to the router, or perhaps just go onto try a different non-iOS controller?

That’s interesting. If so, why the heck are SONOS not telling you this on their homepage or even in their app, if the connection fails?!

I now connected it to the router, and the app tells me that the device is only compatible with S2 (I am pretty sure I used it with this app before, but anyways). Will try the other app now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok, finally, with the S2 app *and* connected to the router, it works. But guys, seriously, this is f*** complicated. How does SONOS expect this to be a consumer product, if even well-experienced developers struggle with its installation?! Can’t they hire developers who know what they are doing?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Anyways. Thanks for your support.

I don't know if this is something you need to be aware of:

'With the release of iOS 14, Sonos requires the “Local Network Access” permission to be enabled in your device’s settings. '

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes, I got the local network access permission request and granted it.

As a developer, you may find that Apple ‘ may have an open bug in its Wireless Accessory Configuration in a recent release of iOS ... have you tried cabling the speaker to the router, or perhaps just go onto try a different non-iOS controller?

That’s interesting. If so, why the heck are SONOS not telling you this on their homepage or even in their app, if the connection fails?!

I now connected it to the router, and the app tells me that the device is only compatible with S2 (I am pretty sure I used it with this app before, but anyways). Will try the other app now.

Just for your info, S1 households can only be created with an existing S1-only compatible product....your Play:1 is S2 compatible, so you cannot create an S1 household with it. Hence the switch to S2 once you chose to factory reset it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just for your info, S1 households can only be created with an existing S1-only compatible product....your Play:1 is S2 compatible, so you cannot create an S1 household with it. Hence the switch to S2 once you chose to factory reset it.

Thanks for the info. Tbh, this is pretty confusing.

Thanks for the info. Tbh, this is pretty confusing.

I understand it’s a case that Sonos want users to upgrade to S2 wherever that is possible with compatible hardware, plus the S2 software will be developed further going forward, whereas an S1 system will standstill other than a few minor updates, bug fixes and security updates. So maybe some good has come from your factory reset, in the long term.