Newbie help please on the Sonos App

• 30 December 2021
  • 8 replies

First of all thanks in advance to anyone who gives me advice as a newbie.

I owned a Sonos system years ago but disposed of it but now thinking of purchasing two Sonos1 second gen. speakers.

However I have read several dreadful reviews of the Sonos App.I would appreciate any comments from users/experts on this App as it is holding me off from purchasing until I can get some real pukka information about its use.

Many thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I like the APP.  Works faultlessly for me.

What causes most issues is a poor home wifi network which will prevent the app connecting all the time.

Many of the critical reviews are based on a complete lack of understanding of the system.  The Sonos app is just a remote control.  When people can’t get their system to work reliably they blame the app, when 99 times out of 100 the problem is their network, or because they have misconfigured something.  Such cases represent a tiny fraction of users.

The system has worked flawlessly for me for 10 years and I find the app easy to use.

I find the Sonos App works fine - it gives access to:

• Recently played items.
  • Favorites
  • Playlists
  • Stations
  • Albums
  • Artists
  • Hundreds of Music Services, Spotify, Deezer etc. and Sonos Radio
  • One-stop search by category (track/album/artist/station)

Theres are grouping/pairing and bonding options for the players and the option to create/store local speaker groups with access to play to those preset groups in just a couple of clicks.

There is of course all the administration and device control features too for changing volume of individual players or groups, changing EQ settings and adding/managing voice assistant control etc.

I’ve attached a couple of screenshots from my controller device for you to see.

But there are third party Apps aswell and if using iOS devices, there is the option to Airplay to the Sonos devices from many native MSP Apps.

Thanks guys for your replies and valuable input. I did wonder if what you said John B could be the case. We have an excellent and strong BT Complete Wifi system which never gives us any hassle in a small bungalow so we can, I think, discount issues with that. We are both quite competent technology wise, but new to this App. On that basis do you think we have a good chance experiencing what you do?

Thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks guys for your replies and valuable input. I did wonder if what you said John B could be the case. We have an excellent and strong BT Complete Wifi system which never gives us any hassle in a small bungalow so we can, I think, discount issues with that. We are both quite competent technology wise, but new to this App. On that basis do you think we have a good chance experiencing what you do?

Thanks again

Worst case: take advantage of Sonos’ home trial. If you have problems setting up the speakers contact this forum or Sonos Support. If it still won’t work, return it for a full refund. I think it still has a 100 day validity giving plenty of time to set up, test out and evaluate sound quality. And, I suspect they get very few returns 😍 

Edited to add: it looks like it’s a 45 day no-quibble return period, but still plenty of time to assess the speakers. 

Hi Guys,

Your advice has been invaluable, thank you for that. To make sure i get the correct app.  I will using the Sonos systen via our Ipads and Iphones, so is the one titled “S1 and S2 Speaker Controller” the one to use?

Thanks again

Use the Sonos S2 App (gold coloured icon).

https://support.sonos.com/s/downloads

Once again many thanks for your valuable input.Just waiting now for the item to be delivered and then we are all set to go!

Thanks to all you guys