Answered

new wifi router; now existing Sonos won’t connect

• 12 October 2019
  • 20 replies

Badge
Got a new router, now existing Sonos won’t connect. Can’t find where to change password in Sonos
icon

Best answer by ratty 12 October 2019, 19:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Nothing is working to connect to our new Wi-Fi router.  What can we do?

Cable just one Sonos device to the new router and power it on. 

Power on the other Sonos devices, one at a time, giving each time to boot and settle, before moving onto the next.

Open the Sonos App on a compatible mobile device, connected to the new routers WiFi, to see that all Speakers are present and correct.

Goto the App “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” and enter the new routers WiFi credentials (case sensitive) for the 2.4ghz band.

Uncable the Sonos device from the router and move it back to where you want it and all devices will now run on your new routers WiFi.

**Whatever you do, do NOT factory reset your Sonos devices, it is often unnecessary and in some circumstances, you could end up losing the entire original Sonos setup.

Isn’t that the same information that’s in the link that ratty provided?

I just summarised things in an attempt to (hopefully) try to assist sdarmody a little further, as clearly @ratty’s link was already there in place, but they still appear to be having some difficulties getting their Sonos system back up and running on their new WiFi. I was hoping a short summary might help them out .

After installing a new router it is important that you shut down EVERYTHING on the network and restart. Otherwise, the risk of duplicate IP addresses is very high -- causing your symptoms. Over a period of a few frustrating days, the situation may clear on its own.

When you restart the system the best order is:

Modem (if any)

Router

Wired switches and mesh points (if any)

Wired SONOS units

Wireless SONOS units

NAS (if any)

Everything else

Allow each step to complete before moving to the next step.

The router should be set for 20MHz channel 1, 6, or 11, do not use “Auto”. It is also best if you “reserve” or “fix” addresses for regular network clients, especially addresses for the SONOS units. If you do not reserve addresses, you may experience this issue again after a firmware update.

I’ve been a SONOS user since 2005, using this method when swapping routers, and have not had issues.

As you have discovered, most setup options have been removed from the desktop controllers. I’m also grumpy about this.

Just replaced my Xfinity modem router with a Nighthawk CAX80, but kept the same wifi network name and password.  Sonos app wasn’t seeing my two pairs of Sonos Ones, and it also said my Beam wasn’t configured to the Play:3s I use as surrounds.  Before going through the reconnect with an ethernet cable, I tried Buzz’s suggestion and power cycled all of my Sonos products.  Everything reconnected without any additional steps.  Thank you, Buzz, for saving me from having to bring all of my Sonos products to the router and reconnecting with an ethernet cable!

Hi all, I’m having the same issues. NOTHING was working, so I reset the app (deleted and reinstalled on my phone).  NOW, there is not way for me to select settings from the app.  my only choices are to start a  new system or connect to an existing.  Neither of these will work

That’s not actually the position... if you choose to reset your Sonos App, having changed router, all you need do is cable any Sonos speaker or device from your existing setup, to the new router using an Ethernet cable. Leave all other Sonos Speakers/devices switched off for now. 

With your compatible mobile connected to the new routers WiFi network, open the Sonos App and choose the option to connect to the 'existing’ Sonos system… your cabled Sonos speaker will reappear in the App, that’s providing you have not factory reset your devices.

Please make sure you do not create a new Sonos system.

As you power on each of your other Sonos devices they will reappear in the App. When all devices are present and correct, then see my earlier post of what you then need to do after that.

Thank you for your quick reply. I've tried both of the above even tried downloading the app on a different phone. Nothing is working. It will not connect to my wifi. Really odd if it's supposed to be able to connect to multiple networks. 

The Sonos reset processes in general are a bit of a joke. After getting a new router I saw the instructions about pushing the New Router link if your system can’t be found. Nowhere does it say that this option doesn’t exist in the Mac app. Nowhere does it say that this option doesn’t existing in the iPhone app. I reset my Mac app only to then discover that the iPad app has the option. 

I then connected a device via ethernet and one pair of speakers was seen. The next morning these were gone. I did a search again and found a different pair via wifi. Sonos could find no more. I connected ethernet again and got most of my devices back.

One was not there so I went through the device discovery process. The last step is that the device (play1) creates its own wifi network and I’m instructed to join it. I set my iPad to be on the SONOS wifi said. The app now says that I really have to connect to the SONOS wifi. A go through this loop around four times, then bring the device downstairs to connect to my router. Upon WIFI selection it asks for my password, then the entire dialog disappears and I’m back in the Sonos App. 

Okay, now my Sonos sees both speakers in the room. I try to make them a stereo pair. Sonos says “nope that didn’t work”. I try this loop around four times then quit for now and quit to write this note.

I’ve gone through this for years with Sonos, them telling me that I need to move all my devices to a different wifi channel, need to give them static DHCP etc etc etc etc. Still I’ll be halfway through a party I’m hosting and have speakers drop out with the app saying “I can’t find a server”. 

I currently have six play3 and four play1. I’m going to buy a HomePod to see if it is any better. I’m completely at my wit’s end with Sonos. I don’t want to buy the Apple, I want the Sonos to work. Remember when people used to say “Sonos, it just works”? That hasn’t been true for a good five years or so.

I want to thank you all for your detailed explanation. It is not so easily understood on the Sonos site. Mission accomplished after a couple of days of hair-pulling!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And next time: if you get a new router, give it the same wifi credentials as the old one had. Unless you have safety reasosn toe change SSID and password of course.

https://support.sonos.com/en/search?q=new+router

Badge

In Wifi router for 2.4 GHz set channel to 6 or 11 (instead of Auto)

This has worked for me.

Hi all, I’m having the same issues. NOTHING was working, so I reset the app (deleted and reinstalled on my phone).  NOW, there is not way for me to select settings from the app.  my only choices are to start a  new system or connect to an existing.  Neither of these will work

alie789,

After replacing a router, your first action should be to reboot EVERYTHING. Don’t factory reset your SONOS system without further consult. 

Nothing is working to connect to our new Wi-Fi router.  What can we do?

Isn’t that the same information that’s in the link that ratty provided?

I have just connected a TP link mesh network and have connect everything apart from my Sonos Beam. It is still working through my TV but can’t control on app.  Do I need to go through the Ethernet cable suggestion above?  I have rebooted router and the network, also have unplugged and plugged back in the beam.  I haven’t reset to factory settings yet.      

should I try the Ethernet cable route now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Shouldn’t you tell the system the new wifi credentials first (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=nl_NL)? Or better still: have the new system use the same credentials as your old one? If that doesn’t work try the cabled set up.

I have a Sonos Move and am not seeing a way to connect an ethernet cable directly to the device. Do the same instructions above apply? Do I need an adapter?

Same is happening for me and my MOVE, tried to call for support and wait time is 40minutes! I have two networks, one is an extender for backyard and it won’t connect, but good to know it’s supposed to be able to store 16 networks! When I get to hang out at friends aging this will be helpful if it eventually works. 

I have a Sonos Move and am not seeing a way to connect an ethernet cable directly to the device. Do the same instructions above apply? Do I need an adapter?

Sonos Move runs on WiFi only .. it is a portable speaker, so there is no LAN adapter. You either need to setup an additional WiFi network for it to use, or you can factory reset the speaker. You can add upto 16 wireless networks to the Move. See the information pasted below…

Add Wireless Networks to Sonos Move (Recommended)

1. Connect your mobile device to the new WiFi network.
  2. Open the Sonos app and wait while it searches for your Sonos system.
    • If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working.
  3. Tap More Options, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.
  4. Follow the instructions to connect your Move to the new WiFi network.

Sonos products can remember the credentials for up to 16 wireless networks. When you bring your Move back home, it will automatically reconnect to your WiFi network.

Resetting the Sonos Move (Not Recommended)

1. Take Move off the charging base.
  2. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to power it off.
  3. Wait for 30 seconds
  4. Press and hold the Join button and place Move back on the charging base.
  5. Continue holding the Join button until the light on top flashes orange and white.
  6. The light will flash green when the process is complete and your Sonos Move is ready to be set up.
  7. If you did have Alexa/GA installed, then don’t forget to reinstall the voice assistant again via Settings/Services/Voice in the Sonos Apo.