New Update - Way too much midrange

Userlevel 3

How long does Sonos to fix an update? My arc sounds way too piercing in the midrange. It's just too sharp sounding now. The arc also has less mid bass with a now overwhelming mid range sound. 

I wish to go back to the original settings. Even the sub has suffered the low end isn't as solid; sometimes the sub is barely heard. I adjust the EQ and sub level and still not satisfied. This update is no good. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

I have to agree the update has ruined the sound. I was only thinking the other day how amazing the system sounded...now it sounds really bad; nothing is balanced (arc, 2 x one SL, 2 x sub). Will Trueplay over the weekend. I hope it makes a difference.

Userlevel 3

I have to agree the update has ruined the sound. I was only thinking the other day how amazing the system sounded...now it sounds really bad; nothing is balanced (arc, 2 x one SL, 2 x sub). Will Trueplay over the weekend. I hope it makes a difference.

Good luck! I have heard others still in dislike after trueplay. I am hoping for a new update that will fix these issues. You notice the difference especially with TV and music. 

Badge +1

I will say that after running the update and retuning with Trueplay, I noticed a difference in the audio quality all around. Before I wasn’t as impressed with the audio and more so the dialogue clarity compared to previously having the Beam Gen 2. Watching the same show that is in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio format, pre-update and post-update I have noticed a difference in the audio quality. Dialogue is definitely better, but also the balance of the audio all around. I did notice that I had to turn up the volume slightly higher than before, as others have mentioned but still no higher than 54-56 volume for me. I haven’t had issues with my Arc + Sub Gen 3 setup at all. The sub and bass in general still sounds really good to me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It was over 2 months last time when they mucked up the surrounds, depends if enough people complain whether Sonos will even look into it.

Userlevel 2

This update is terrible, killed the bass and made the kids wayyyy to piercing. True play makes it worse, the bass unit now performs like a small **bad** sub… crazy.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

There’s a whole other thread underway here about it too: 

I called up SONOS today (July 25, 2022) and they said engineers are working a ‘middle-ground’ fix which should be available in the next 2 weeks. Whilst they’ve received some positive feedback about the update, they have mostly received negative and hence the rushing around for a fix. By middle-ground I suspect they mean a happy medium, so retaining some of the enhancements like connectivity improvements but also addressing the other issues such as lower volume level, sub sounds and mid-treble issues. Fingers crossed, as it can not stay sounding like this.

My products - Arc, Sub Gen3, 2x OneSL

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I called up SONOS today (July 25, 2022) and they said engineers are working a ‘middle-ground’ fix which should be available in the next 2 weeks. Whilst they’ve received some positive feedback about the update, they have mostly received negative and hence the rushing around for a fix. By middle-ground I suspect they mean a happy medium, so retaining some of the enhancements like connectivity improvements but also addressing the other issues such as lower volume level, sub sounds and mid-treble issues. Fingers crossed, as it can not stay sounding like this.

I hope a fix is within the week to be honest, they release an update that screws up the sound, and we are left with a budget sounding soundbar that we paid premium price for.

Why they ******* about with the sound anyway, leave it alone. I don’t mind seeing new features in updates, but adjusting the audio that users have got used to already shouldn't be happening personally.

The majority were happy with how it sounded pre 14.12!

Badge +1

Will be curious to see how the fix works out.

Badge

They need to fix this a.s.a.p 😭

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

They need to fix this a.s.a.p 😭

Yes… before the update I like my system a lot, but now I don’t even want to use it… :(:(

Userlevel 1

I can’t stand the way it sounds now… 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just roll back the code. This was a bad update. Yikes Sonos!!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m noticing too much volume on my surrounds in relation to the dialogue from the ARC and lack of bass from the sub. This is with Trueplay enabled.

I would like to think that Sonos test their software releases using multiple listening environments, but somehow I don’t think so.

Badge

This is bull**. Ruin a great sounding system with an update that we have no say in. I paid for a system that sounded good but now it’s awful. 

argh!!!!!

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You can't go back unfortunately, you'll get the the usual shills telling you it's better than what you had and it's your own fault you can't get on with it but that's the Sonos way unfortunately.

You can't go back unfortunately, you'll get the the usual shills telling you it's better than what you had and it's your own fault you can't get on with it but that's the Sonos way unfortunately.

Show me one post where a "shill" has said this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

But it's strange that one or two "lucky ones" in the community said they don't have any problem like volume drops etc...

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Doesn’t help..

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Just roll back the code. This was a bad update. Yikes Sonos!!

Haven’t seen a word or post of SONOS acknowledging they know or admit any issue on this latest update anywhere…

Doesn’t help..

I did re-do Trueplay. Things did improve slightly, but still poor base, surrounds overpowering etc.

But it's strange that one or two "lucky ones" in the community said they don't have any problem like volume drops etc...

Sound is subjective.  I hear things my girlfriend laughs at me about.  I have a friend who actually said to me once "I can't hear the TV, the volume is too loud."  It's obvious there is a significant number of folks who are very unhappy with these changes, why piss and moan about the few that don't hear the changes?  Their lack of criticism does nothing to invalidate your subjective opinion.

Badge

Have a look at this post(and reply? Strength in numbers!), it explains(with Freq response graphs) the issue we are hearing with the sub and mid;

Sub issues thread for versions 14.12

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

After last weeks updated for SONOS ARC, I immediately regret and even auto tuning cannot make my system return back to previous best sound.. SONOS, please return back to me..