New Sonos controller from Ikea (SYMFONISK)

• 13 September 2019
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
This looks interesting

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/9/12/20862236/ikea-cheap-sonos-remote-control-date-price

The small controller works like this: Push it down once to pause, again to play; push two or three times to skip tracks forward and back; or rotate the dial to the left or right to decrease or increase the volume. It works on a table or wall thanks to an included magnetic mount.

https://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/p/symfonisk-telecommande-volume-noir-40433780/

Works with any Sonos speaker according to above IKEA page.

You also need the Gateway @ £20 so at a total cost of £35 this seems like a steal compared to the extortionate iPort Express product.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Pickup a TRÅDFRI gateway and three remotes this weekend for silly money. Once you finish the somewhat clumsy setup/pairing song and dance, it all works as advertised. The little pucks have little (if any) delay – way better than the Devialet Phantom remote.

As for the shape: circular objects do tend to have advantages when rotating… ;-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Sorry, already posted, see https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-speakers-are-getting-a-cheap-ikea-wireless-controller-6826398
The price is nice, but I'm not that fond of the design. I prefer more a more squared physical appearance and separate buttons for functions. I don't want to have to remember the right combination to do something, or train new users on how it works. Granted, the capacitive controls on Sonos current speakers require a little bit of training as well.

It's smart for ikea to do this though, as they're clearing trying to get people to buy into their ecosystem of smart home products. Audio is a good way to get people started. I haven't looked into ikea too much for smart home stuff, but I don't think their stuff works with voice control just yet.

Does anyone know what communication protocol is used? I'm sure the hub is wifi, but betting the hub communicates with the remote through some other means.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
It's smart for ikea to do this though, as they're clearing trying to get people to buy into their ecosystem of smart home products. Audio is a good way to get people started. I haven't looked into ikea too much for smart home stuff, but I don't think their stuff works with voice control just yet.

Yeah, Ikea stuff works with Alexa.

They seem to be investing more into smart home stuff, blinds have just come out at a great price but limited sizes

It's smart for ikea to do this though, as they're clearing trying to get people to buy into their ecosystem of smart home products. Audio is a good way to get people started. I haven't looked into ikea too much for smart home stuff, but I don't think their stuff works with voice control just yet.Yeah, Ikea stuff works with Alexa.

They seem to be investing more into smart home stuff, blinds have just come out at a great price but limited sizes

Yea, it's the blinds that I read about that are not yet compatible with Alexa. Per your link.

Add the TRÅDFRI gateway and the IKEA Home Smart app to control through Google Home. (Apple HomeKit and Amazon Alexa support will also be available later on.)

I'm interested in automated blinds, but it's down the list of my project priorities. That and the overall cost is a big issue.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I'm interested in automated blinds, but it's down the list of my project priorities. That and the overall cost is a big issue.

I'd buy some if I could, not sure what it's like in the US but I think builders over here must still be working in feet not metres. My house is relatively new (2000), but none of my windows are 60/80/100/120/140cm wide.
The price is nice, but I'm not that fond of the design. I prefer more a more squared physical appearance and separate buttons for functions.
Like the iPort xPRESS, perhaps.

Does anyone know what communication protocol is used? I'm sure the hub is wifi, but betting the hub communicates with the remote through some other means.

Evidently it's Zigbee. It's not unknown for this to clash with WiFi.

And as far as I can see it needs a wired connection.

I'm interested in automated blinds, but it's down the list of my project priorities. That and the overall cost is a big issue.I'd buy some if I could, not sure what it's like in the US but I think builders over here must still be working in feet not metres. My house is relatively new (2000), but none of my windows are 60/80/100/120/140cm wide.

I don't believe there's any real window size standards here in the US. Everything is custom. All the blinds are typically built so that they can be cut to size. You usually can have them cut right there in the store. Smart blinds obviously wouldn't be quite so simple since their a motor involved.

The price is nice, but I'm not that fond of the design. I prefer more a more squared physical appearance and separate buttons for functions.Like the iPort xPRESS, perhaps.

Evidently it's Zigbee. It's not unknown for this to clash with WiFi.

As as far as I can see it needs a wired connection.

I had a lot of trouble with zigbee and z-wave. I stick with wifi only, except for Lutron's ClearConnect. I'd rather put in a a good wifi network that can handle it all then have competing networks.

edit: I should add that I also have a arlo wireless network. Didn't really want it, but that's what it is. So I have wifi, sonosnet, clearconnect, and arlo running.
Badge

Yeah, Ikea stuff works with Alexa.

it also works with Siri in the home kit app

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I contacted IKEA support, they’re in stock in UK stores but someone has forgot to put them on the UK website :joy:  I’ll pick one up tomorrow

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/symfonisk-sound-remote-white-60370480/

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

These are great little controllers. Also, if you have a Hubitat hub you can use that without needing a Ikea gateway, I presume other HA zigbee hubs will work too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Has anyone got one of these yet? They're not on the UK website yet