Answered

New Playbar won't complete updating

• 27 May 2018
  • 9 replies

I have a brand new playbar and after selecting it and adding it to a new room, I get to the "Updating" screen. At that point, it gets stuck on the "Getting started..." black dot. The light on the playbar is flashing orange and white.

I have tried this a couple of times by using a factory reset. And I have the playbar connected to my router via ethernet.

Any suggestions on what I should try?
icon

Best answer by nhf202 28 May 2018, 04:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Hmm, that does sound troublesome. Have you tried a factory reset?

Or at least a power cycle?

I believe I've seen information before that there's 2 "sides" to the data storage, and the system swaps between the two for an update. If the data stored is corrupt, it may not be able to flip from the current "side" to the other. And I'm sure I'm butchering this is some fashion....but it's still worth doing both of the above suggestions, they wouldn't hurt.

The other option, would be to call Sonos to discuss it.
Thanks, Bruce.

I’ve tried both the power cycle and factory reset. I’ll call Sonos tomorrow.
They won't be open for us here in the states (yes, I looked at where you are :)) Your best bet would be to catch them on twitter, which is a 24/7 support, I'm told. I assume that they have staff from across the world working that system. Don't know where the phone center is for the US, but the board guys are mostly in Santa Barbara, and don't generally work on weekends, especially as this is Memorial Day weekend.

I believe that there's also a Facebook messenger support that's 24 hours, but I may be making that up, there's no real indication of that on this page: call Sonos
Good luck!
Went back and forth with the folks on the twitter account trying different things but nothing worked so far. Hopefully I’ll get live support on Tuesday. Might just be a defective Playbar, unfortunately.

Thanks for the help. I’ll try to remember to update once I’ve talked to support.
Went back and forth with the folks on the twitter account trying different things but nothing worked so far. Hopefully I’ll get live support on Tuesday. Might just be a defective Playbar, unfortunately.

Thanks for the help. I’ll try to remember to update once I’ve talked to support.
nhf202

It’s a bit of a long wait until Tuesday comes around ...

Did you turn off the routers firewall (if it has one) and ensure that any port redirection, or blocking, is turned off. Presumably the router is also not on this incompatible hardware list?

Sonos and Incompatible Hardware

And finally, did the Support Staff get you to try a different ethernet cable and also a different port on your router?
Tuesday is a VERY long wait :D

I did try multiple Ethernet cables. I haven’t changed any firewall settings, but this is the same router and setup I used to set up two play:5s and a SUB on Thursday of this week. Any thing special about the Playbar that would be different?
nhf202,

There are no differences that I’m aware of in your particular situation, but Tuesday is a still a wait and so I would try...

Router reboot... turning off the Firewall etc.
Different ethernet cable plugged into different router port.
A PlayBar hardware reset and then one more 'final' go.

You have nothing to lose by trying these things... it’s better than just waiting, eh?

I assume you know the hardware reset procedure, but the link is below anyway, just in case.

Factory resetting a Sonos product
It wouldn’t even do a factory reset so I returned it and got a new one. That one set up without and now I’ve got great sound:

Playbar
Two Play:5s
SUB

Life is good. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the pointers.
It wouldn’t even do a factory reset so I returned it and got a new one. That one set up without and now I’ve got great sound:

Playbar
Two Play:5s
SUB

Life is good. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the pointers.
nhf202

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Glad to hear you have got things sorted. It looks (and sounds) a very nice setup. I’m sure the sound is awesome. You may even find tips in this community, that give you some further ideas of things to add to your setup. Anyhow glad to hear that life is good again and that you didn’t have to wait too long to get things sorted.