New ios app sucks

• 15 October 2017
  • 51 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I upgraded to app v8 it started by not connecting to my 2 play 3s and 1 play 1,
had too set it all up as a new system never had this happen when i have updated
app.
Also dont like the layout one bit, is there anyway to get the old ios app back on
my ipad iphone both on ios 11.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Userlevel 3
It looks horrible and is not logical in its command/button setup. The white is glaringly bad
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Yeps agreed worst update ever, hope they revert to old app again
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It looks horrible and is not logical in its command/button setup. The white is glaringly bad

Why? You complain but with no reason, other than you don’t like it. What would expect anyone to do with such feedback? How can anything be changed to meet your specific requirements?

It is eminently logical compared to the old system.
Have you looked at the screens, what’s on the screens and what those things do.

It is no longer 2004 (20 / 12) and things move on...
Userlevel 2
"It is eminently logical compared to the old system." Disagree.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
SCCA sorry i disagree, i really really really dont like it.
Hope that is clear.
Userlevel 2
It’s clear and you’re not alone.
Not a fan either. It’s a pain to switch between rooms.
Userlevel 2
Exactly. I like to keep playlists in each room. I think that is now impossible. To switch to another room you have to check the new room and uncheck the old room. When you do that you move the old room playlist to the new room and obliterate the playlist that already was in the new room. I hope someone could tell me that this isn’t true and show me how to go to a new room without moving playlists that belonged to the old room.
Userlevel 2
jtkeep - I really, really, really DO NOT like it either. I was disagreeing with BoredofBalham who thought that it was "eminently logical"
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
SCCA understood now,me not reading it ok
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Absolutely terrible update. Couldn’t be less intuitive. Whoever ok’d this should be fired.

Btw, I have 18 units and will not buy anymore as my wife will not use the system anymore after these awful changes. Won’t be recommending them to anyone anymore either
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, we're making sure to share it all with the team as they're working to include what critiques and suggestions they can for future changes.

Exactly. I like to keep playlists in each room. I think that is now impossible. To switch to another room you have to check the new room and uncheck the old room. When you do that you move the old room playlist to the new room and obliterate the playlist that already was in the new room. I hope someone could tell me that this isn’t true and show me how to go to a new room without moving playlists that belonged to the old room.

You still can do this, Jerry. When you're looking to change the room to control, slide the Now Playing down and select the tab called Rooms. Then you can pick the room you want to control. The queue will remain the same in the old room. If you're pressing on the red text from the Now Playing, you get a quick grouping menu, to group players together.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

You still can do this, Jerry. When you're looking to change the room to control, slide the Now Playing down and select the tab called Rooms. Then you can pick the room you want to control. The queue will remain the same in the old room. If you're pressing on the red text from the Now Playing, you get a quick grouping menu, to group players together.

So in other words-unintuitive. I think that’s the point. We all k ow you can do things...but why make it less easy to do them???
Userlevel 2
Awesome! Thanks Ryan. That little tip means a lot to my experience. If I swipe too high, I bring down my iPad notifications. Too bad the tabs aren’t active on all pages. But now I see I was using the wrong technique for switching rooms.

Any tip for a better way to get to room EQ setting? I change balance control regularly in my GYM depending on my position. At least I used to. Now I have hit 6 tabs before I can get to the control.

Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
On mobile, there isn't a shortcut to get to the EQ settings, but that's some good feedback to pass on up. I'll share it with the team.

Also, I think that in a future version of the app that Tab bar will be visible on all screens. I don't believe it's in the next update, but probably the one after. That's just conjecture though, so don't quote me on it if it doesn't change that time.
Userlevel 2
Wait Ryan - don't go away yet please. Where is the screen that shows all the room volume levels so that each can be adjusted individually in relation to each other?
Userlevel 2
Found it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Found it.
Great! 🙂
I also had to reload my entire system. The new app makes some of the navigation easier, but other aspects are more difficult. For example switching between rooms (or grouping less than all rooms) takes multiple attempts. That said some of my frustration stems from relearning where everything is.

I am annoyed at the seeming continuous updates; it feels a bit like the constant updating process of windows 98.
Userlevel 1
The new IOS app lacks usability. The navigation to actually getting music on a zone is some what cumbersome or in reality too many steps. The previous app was very clean and easy to use. I am not saying this because it's a new app. I am saying this because the user experience has taken one giant step backwards. PLEASE FIX
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Absolutely terrible update. Couldn’t be less intuitive. Whoever ok’d this should be fired.

Btw, I have 18 units and will not buy anymore as my wife will not use the system anymore after these awful changes. Won’t be recommending them to anyone anymore either

I struggle to see how this update makes your experience so adverse that you won’t buy any more units or recommend the product. I can do all the things that I could have done previously. Most of the changes are fundamentally layout and aesthetics. I get that some people find some of the changes irritating such as white background and the layout of My Sonos but these are not fundamental changes. No change this time around us findamental.

Now I was beyond furious about the queue management changes done a few months back. The move to one tap sent me crazy. That was more fundamental than anything done here. And with that I remained a Sonos fan and advocate. Changes will never always go your way but the product that we love is still the product that we love after these changes. It seems your Love was on the fringes ?
Userlevel 1
I will continue to use the product because I as well have 15 Connect Amp units. The complaints we raise is so they can revisit their decisions and changes. It's not intuitive and very cumbersome. Nothing worse than hearing my wife sigh or get frustrated trying to turn music on either. I just feel they rolled something out that is not an improvement and it needs to be addressed.
It sounds like this update is doing exactly what it was designed to do... get people off the app and onto using voice control 😃
Userlevel 1
I am not sure that was the intent but no thanks on the Eco.... I don't need devices in my house constantly listening to me. Plus I have kids and really don't want them triggering all sorts of stuff as a game.
The listening concern is kind of a red herring... much less risk of abuse than a mobile phone for example. The kids on the other hand is a completely valid worry as they tend to love these things and can't help but want to play.