NEW APP IS ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE

• 13 November 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
What was Sonos thinking with this new app? It is literally impossible to figure out the most basic commands. For instance, let's just take a very simple task: selecting a room and playing a specific Pandora station I want to listen to. How do you even do that? If you select the room, there is no menu to go select the station! If you select the station, you can't logically pick which room to play it in. Instead of rambling on, I'll just add to all of the thousands of posts and ask Sonos to please either go back to the old app, or develop something that is actually intuitive. If Apple can make everything intuitive since the creation of the iPod, I think Sonos can figure this out to some degree. That was one of the biggest selling points of installing my entire house with Sonos...because it was so intuitive and compatible with the Apple interface.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Hi. To address your question about playing the music you want in the room you want:

1 Tap the Rooms button on the tab bar (swipe down the screen if the tab bar isn't visible)
2 If the room you want is already highlighted, fine. If not, tap the room you want to play music in.
3 Tap Browse if you want to choose a source, such as your Music Library, or Search to search just like before, or My Sonos for playlists and favourites.
4. Tap your choice of music to play it.

I hope that helps
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I usually manage well menus, apps and changes, and I "surf" between options easily. i don't remember an app where something working so well for years become so confusing over night. After days now, I am still in trouble to use basic commands such as starting new music in a new room, Every time I do something, I have t try multiple times, check where the options are, try again etc. Really, I ask WHY such a profound change ? Didn't see any improvement at all , only issues.
Userlevel 1
Badge
i completely agree. it was very intuitive and MUCH more user friendly before. they made it much more complicated, more clicks and swipes to do the same basic functions. ugh. Not happy with the latest changes at all
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If Apple can make everything intuitive since the creation of the iPod, I think Sonos can figure this out to some degree. That was one of the biggest selling points of installing my entire house with Sonos...because it was so intuitive and compatible with the Apple interface.

Well, if you take a moment to compare them, the new Sonos 8.x app looks and functions much more like Apple Music on iOS than the previous 7.x app did. As far as I understand it, the new app also now follows Apple's UI design guidelines.

I acknowledge your frustration, but there is really nothing 'literally impossible' about the new app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Room management is terrible, no body in the house can easily understand it, rooms get grouped by mistake, music appears in another room, then it's a fight to get it back again in the room you wanted.
Why not use drag & drop like sonosphone does?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Room management is terrible, no body in the house can easily understand it, rooms get grouped by mistake, music appears in another room, then it's a fight to get it back again in the room you wanted.
Why not use drag & drop like sonosphone does?

Room management is actually dead simple: read John B's post above. The issue is probably that of trying to use the new app as if it's just like the old one, which it isn't.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
When trying to move music from one room to another, I find the app fails half of the time. I deselect the current room and select the new room. Here are the problems:

Sometimes, it moves the music over, sometimes it doesn't and I have to try it again.

Sometimes it moves the music over but doesn't have the new room on the now playing screen. So I then have to click rooms and select the new room to bring it onto now playing screen. For example, now playing screen is living room. I click on living room on now playing screen, untick living room and tick kitchen. It moves music to kitchen but now playing screen is still on living room. In my opinion, if I move music from one room to another, then the new room should always be the room on now playing screen. Again, this is "sometimes" because other times, it does move music and change now playing to new room.

Basically, the changing/grouping of rooms on now playing screen is a mess.

Other than that:

hate the white
hate the size of each zone name when clicking rooms. Way too big.
mysonos is an ugly mess.

Had sonos for 5 years, from version 4 (blue) onwards. I've generally been happy with each update apart from 5 or 6 (forget which) where the initial release squashed now playing screen to a tiny space on one side plus loads of white space everywhere. They then fixed all those issues and it was good after that.

They may well fix all these issues but currently its crap and I find some changes very difficult to understand why these were implemented in the first place.
Who developed the new app? Sonos was incredible as it was so simple and easy to use. I am somewhat tech savvy and for the love of god cannot figure out the app. Why change it? Big thumbs down!