New App is a Step Backwards

• 16 October 2017
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 3
New App Update is Terrible.... SONOS please listen to your customers and at least give us the option of using the old version. Why are you over thinking it. The previous version was about perfect. I use it everyday and now im fumbling and getting frustrated trying to control various rooms and sources... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I absolutely agree. I was a HUGE salesman for SONOS. I would absolutely not recommend it now.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Adding my vote - not a fan of the new app, but I'll give it some more time to see if it's just an unfamiliarity issue.
New app forced me to re-sign up to each music service, reconfigure all players and still isn't there nearly as well as before. Sonos=time suck and lameness I'm really bummed.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Agree, the old controller was much better, the new one drives me nutts, to many screens to navigate
I agree, the way selecting rooms (which is the second most used function after selecting a song) does not work well. (click means touch display on your smartphone/Tablet). Sometimes the app confuses and creates a group, although you only selected one room. For example: Instead of one click on selecting room 2 on previous app version (Unselect room 1/select room 2), you have to unselect room 1(one click) + select room 2 (second click), and it is not very responsive.
Are you referring to the quick grouping facility that is near the bottom of the Now Playing screen? If so then you seem to be mis-using it.

If you want identical functionality to the previous app, swipe down the Now Playing screen and touch the Rooms button on the tab bar. Hopefully the next version of the app will have the tab bar on the Now Playing screen without the need to swipe down.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
New app forced me to re-sign up to each music service, reconfigure all players

The updated app required no such reconfiguration in my case, across two housholds. It's as simple and straightforward as with previous updates.
Are you referring to the quick grouping facility that is near the bottom of the Now Playing screen? If so then you seem to be mis-using it.

If you want identical functionality to the previous app, swipe down the Now Playing screen and touch the Rooms button on the tab bar. Hopefully the next version of the app will have the tab bar on the Now Playing screen without the need to swipe down.

Yes, I think John B. is correct, some people are confusing the small (quick) group-rooms facility with the Rooms tab... I also agree that the main bottom bar should be on view to the end-user at all times and not hidden by the 'now playing screen'. In fact, I would like to see the 'now playing screen' have a tab all of its own on the main bottom bar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In fact, I would like to see the 'now playing screen' have a tab all of its own on the main bottom bar.

I like that idea.
Userlevel 1
The NEW app is absolutely horrible. It is so bad that I had to create an account just to make a comment on how cumbersome it is. It has lost it's luster and ease of use. Please allow us to go BACK to the old App.
Userlevel 1
I agree the new app is not a step forward. Its confusing and not user friendly.
Userlevel 3
The NEW app is absolutely horrible. It is so bad that I had to create an account just to make a comment on how cumbersome it is. It has lost it's luster and ease of use. Please allow us to go BACK to the old App.
It's truly the worst. I design interfaces for a living, and it breaks every guideline. It's as if someone from Bizarro world decided to imitate what he thinks a good app would do. No searching in Spotify? Who needs that? And why exploit the best thing about smart phones -- fast vertical scrolling -- when you can substitute horizontal favorites scrolling instead? I hate how I can search for Pink Floyd, and instead of getting a choice of Spotify, Pandora, or my own music, it just starts playing the Pandora list I created -- which is actually not just PF, but a whole bunch of bands. The only improvement is the way it allows me to add or subtract rooms to the list... that actually works, albeit in a very pokey fashion. Honestly, I've just given up on using Sonos for much of anything except for playing Sirius XM channels. I really wish I had not committed so much of my hard-earned money to this platform. Sonos, invest in a high-end UX designer before you lose your customer base!
Have to agree the the new app is awful. I thought i'd wait though before commenting on it and see if it was just because it's a change, as when you are used to something it's easy to just prefer that but after a while it's just not as user friendly. Have to say after owning my first piece of Sonos for 5 years this is the WORST update to date.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Agree, it does get easier with time but never becomes intuitive. You have to stop and think what to do next. Let's home there are changes afoot.
I'm so frustrated with Sonos (and myself for trusting them) right now, not sure I have the patience to wait for an update to this joke of a UI.