New app

• 4 December 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Sonos, please hire a proper information architect for your app development and test it on users to make sure it is intuitive, before releasing it. That is good practice and would save us all a lot of hassle. Really not happy with the new app. Why are basic rules broken? That is silly and makes you come across as unprofessional.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, googaa. Thanks for sharing. I want to be sure I get the most actionable feedback to the team, is there something specific you would like to see changed? I'm more than happy to help get your message to the right people. Thanks again.
I agree the new app is a big step backwards in design. However in functionality the room switching is not working. I can select ‘dining room’ from my list if I want to switch where music is playing but it doesn’t work. You’ve killed the killer app!
Absolutely agree. The new application is far more cumbersome to use than the old controller. What was the point of changing something that worked well and wasn't broken?

Now it's just awful and things aren't in logical places.

Some of the latest changes Sonos have made to their software leaves little to be desired. If this trend keeps up, I'm going to ditch the lot and go to a custom designed audio solution.

Switching speakers is no longer as seamless as it was. I've encountered issues where deselecting a speaker turns off the audio, but the UI doesn't update properly and the "off" speaker remains ticked and "enabled" in the software.

Also, if I'm already scrolling through a list of my favourites, why on earth do I need to press a "More" button to see the rest? I'm already scrolling. Including ALL favourites doesn't take up any more screen real estate.

Go back to the old UI, it was simple and it worked. Don't "fix" what isn't broken.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Dear Keith

I thinks it’s been said hundreds of times on the forum
The majority of users would seem to want a dark theme with an intuitive simple to use interface to select music
In a minimal number of clicks which is loosely based on the old application we used.

I would have assumed by the amount of feedback provided in previous post the Sonos would now be in a position
to say we have listened to feedback and we are in the process of delivering these changes.

Once the group understand what you plan to deliver we can then provide feedback and ideas to move forward.
I think the guys have been clear that they are willing to beta test and provide feedback.

This constant we don’t like it and you asking what we don’t like has got to stop as Sonos has had enough time
To create a new release based on early feedback and contacted users to try it.

No one wants Sonos to fail we all want a great app, but the CEO needs to change direction and make some changes.

So what’s in the current plan for development no point users keep feeding back the same issues.

Will Sonos commit to a development plan based on user feedback with a group of beta testers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The team is listening and building on the foundations laid with the current app. You'll see some changes coming soon. The team is looking into the brightness of the app and they're working on ways to balance the colors. They're also looking into ways to improve the general flow of the app, and streamline navigation.

Thanks for sharing your feedback and please let us know what you think as the app develops. We have a large group of beta testers that are actively engaged. If you'd like to join their ranks, you can let the beta team know you're interested by going to the Sonos.com page and under your account sign up for beta.
I agree the new app is a big step backwards in design. However in functionality the room switching is not working. I can select ‘dining room’ from my list if I want to switch where music is playing but it doesn’t work. You’ve killed the killer app!

If you want to switch rooms, do not tap on the red room name on the Now Playing screen. That is for quick grouping only. Room switching is done by choosing the Rooms tab and tapping on the room. A double tap will bring up the new room's Now Playing screen, a single tap switches rooms but leaves you with the tab bar still showing.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
You guys have stamina to keep saying the same thing over and over.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
The team is looking into the brightness of the app and they're working on ways to balance the colors. They're also looking into ways to improve the general flow of the app, and streamline navigation.
That focus on balancing colors sounds pretty cosmetic, but short time that might be the best that can be achieved. Sure hope they grey mess at the top of now playing will disappear again. Having the room selection on that now playing screen shouldn't be difficult either.

Anyway, signed back up for the beta program so I can have a look 🙂