New app 5.0 coming, universal search

Hi all, sorry if this has been posted before but I've just spotted this:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127919-new-sonos-apps-bring-universal-search-and-streamlined-design

New Sonos app to bring streamlined search across multiple services, and an app which looks much better imho. Available spring, Android beta available today. Also heard there may be some sort of music "discovery" which is a great feature of the Spotify app which is sorely missed.

Nice!!!

75 replies

Aha! Some more info from this very forum here...

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=39348
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
does this mean we can officially discuss the beta now ?
does this mean we can officially discuss the beta now ?

If you are a Beta participant, you should know the answer.
I can see some of the confusion. Some betas I participate in have closed threads accessible only to participants. As ever, read the fine print.

Now as a non participant - sounds freaking awesome!!
Userlevel 2
What about screenreader-compatibility (talkback)?
Please, check this!
Thx,
Baenker
Userlevel 2
Exciting stuff, can't wait! 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
Has anyone noticed that cover art is vastly improved from Spotify? I wonder if Spotify is now allowing them to tap into the high-res versions or Sonos is grabbing them from another location - either way, this is a great development. The album art looked terrible before from all streaming services.
The higher resolution Spotify art is available from the same Amazon EC2 servers. The artwork URLs can be found in the standard Spotify metadata.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I really hope that the search functionality is also going to be improved for the local library.

When music is grouped by 'Album Artist' it is not possible to search for artists within 'Contributing Artists'. This is such an obvious flaw that really should have been addressed years ago. The only way of searching is to manually scroll through the 'Contributing Artists' list. Perhaps 'Various Artist' compilations are not so popular in the states?

I find this issue particular annoying as around 1/3 of my entire library consists of tracks from 'Various Artist' compilations. (5,000 out of 15,000). Not being able to search easily by artist for 1/3 of my collection is a major problem for me.

Please can someone who has access to the beta try this out?

I often end up going into the Music app on my iPad (with iTunes Match Enabled) in order to find tracks by artists on my compilations. I shouldn't need to do this.

This has been the number one thing on my wish list since I bought my first zones back in 2007.

Many thanks

Darren
Userlevel 1
Badge
The higher resolution Spotify art is available from the same Amazon EC2 servers. The artwork URLs can be found in the standard Spotify metadata.

Well I'm really glad Sonos is pulling that now because before it looked terrible.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
darrenlink, yes, it's staggering that, simply if you organise your music a certain way, you can't search for artists in compilation albums.
However, I think it's pushing it that somebody on the beta would respond. In fact, I'm amazed even this thread has got as far as it has. I THINK it may be because Sonos themselves have made such a big deal of the beta - which I've never known before.
Like you, I'd love a response to why artists in Compilation albums can't be found in a search. Or even why, in Compilation albums (when not 'sorted' by compilations) there's a gap where the artist should be. The silence is as deafening as ever though..
Userlevel 2
What is the current functionality around searching by contributing artist?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Anyone know whether the old CR200 / dedicated controller will get the 5.0 upgrade?

The FAQs for the new software on Sonos's website say "all other Controllers will continue to work", but there is no specific mention of an upgrade for the CR200.

With all the talk from Sonos in the Pocket-lint article of 5.0 being a "complete overhaul" of the architecture, and a "new platform" for future development, I wonder if the CR200/Control will be left behind...

If so, it would be a shame as I still far prefer the immediacy of access offered by the CR200, compared to the smartphone apps.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I've tried the beta tonight on both our Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and my Samsung Galaxy SII phone. I'm delighted to say that it's absolutely awesome and I can't wait for the official release. The controller on the Samsung Galaxy Tab is vastly superior to the current official version.

The user interface is visually stunning and browsing through my library is so much more enjoyable than before. I've always found the slowness of loading the cover art particular decremental to the user experience. The cover art is now much larger and the responsiveness whilst browsing my local library is now very impressive (considering that the artwork is being fetched across the network)

In the current official controller I find that whilst browsing my Amazon Cloud Player library the cover art loads far quicker than for the tracks on my NAS. With the new controller the opposite seems to be the case. The cover art loads very quickly from the NAS but it's painfully slow when loading from the Amazon Cloud Player. Although I'm not an extensive user of the Amazon Cloud Player (free account only), hopefully this will be improved by the time of the official release.

I've noticed that the cover art loads a lot faster when browsing the library rather than browsing the queue. It would be great if the cover art loading time could be improved within the queue to match the load times whilst browsing the library. I'm not sure why there would be a difference in performance?

I've checked the 'Contributing Artists' search issue and unfortunately the new 'universal search' function still doesn't find artists that appear on multi-artist compilations. If this functionality could be implemented I would be delighted. It's probably far too late in the day to be included in this release cycle but hopefully it can be included in a future update, perhaps as an optional setting when contributing artists is turned on? It does seem strange to have an Artists view of album artists and a Contributing Artists view without being able to search Contributing Artists. I could re-tag my tracks so the Album Artist is blank for my various artist compilations (instead of 'Various Artists') but then all my artists would appear under Artists and there would be no point in having a contributing artists view. I wish Sonos could see how frustrating this is with such a large collection of 'Various Artist' compilations. Perhaps I should send them my NAS as a test library? (Only kidding, what would I do without all my music!!!)

Overall I am delighted with the new controller and I am hoping it will be very well received. It now feels much more of an 'app' now rather than just a controller. There is always room for improvement but I feel that this is a massive step in the right direction. In my opinion the new Sonos user interface now seems a lot nicer than the iOS music app.

I will submit this feedback to Sonos via the official channel.

Darren
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
There is a Crossfade in the beta controller, but I can't find the Repeat or the Shuffle options.
Userlevel 2
Badge

I've checked the 'Contributing Artists' search issue and unfortunately the new 'universal search' function still doesn't find artists that appear on multi-artist compilations. If this functionality could be implemented I would be delighted. It's probably far too late in the day to be included in this release cycle but hopefully it can be included in a future update, perhaps as an optional setting when contributing artists is turned on? It does seem strange to have an Artists view of album artists and a Contributing Artists view without being able to search Contributing Artists. I could re-tag my tracks so the Album Artist is blank for my various artist compilations (instead of 'Various Artists') but then all my artists would appear under Artists and there would be no point in having a contributing artists view. I wish Sonos could see how frustrating this is with such a large collection of 'Various Artist' compilations. Perhaps I should send them my NAS as a test library? (Only kidding, what would I do without all my music!!!)
Darren

Downloaded the beta app to check this thing only. I don't think Sonos will fix it ever. Users have asked for it for so many years and this was the time to finally deal with it. If Sonos wanted to. Besides that: The controller looks nice. Don't know what will happen to my old CR200...?

/kos
Userlevel 2
Badge
I know this has been asked before but with so many new Tablet's coming out recently what is deemed the best cheap tablet for SONOS. My ipads I know only communicate via the network but Android use the Sonosnet and are supposed to be quicker is that correct?.

Also a good wall mount with charger for the tablet would be good

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
There is a Crossfade in the beta controller, but I can't find the Repeat or the Shuffle options.For some reason you select the queue to see shuffle and repeat (next to it) at the top of the screen - but select the track info (3 dots) to see crossfade at the bottom.
For me those 3 options are 'linked' and their access should be applied consistently.
I'd also like to see track progress bar at the top while playing music instead of just the volume at the bottom.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
For some reason you select the queue to see shuffle and repeat (next to it) at the top of the screen - but select the track info (3 dots) to see crossfade at the bottom.
For me those 3 options are 'linked' and their access should be applied consistently.
I'd also like to see track progress bar at the top while playing music instead of just the volume at the bottom.

Track progress is indicated by the "ring" on the 3 dot track info button. If you click that one you get a progress bar as well. I think the ring indicator is a lot more area efficient than another left-to-right progress bar on the playing screen.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Track progress is indicated by the "ring" on the 3 dot track info button. If you click that one you get a progress bar as well. I think the ring indicator is a lot more area efficient than another left-to-right progress bar on the playing screen.Yes, I've seen that and it's a 'nice' indicator - BUT if I want to move to a different part of the track I first have to click to get the progress bar then again to move it. Don't I?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
whilst the UI looks nice, if you play around with it you'll find most tasks are more clicks away than in the past 😞
Userlevel 1
Yes, I've seen that and it's a 'nice' indicator - BUT if I want to move to a different part of the track I first have to click to get the progress bar then again to move it. Don't I?

That's not really any different to the existing controller then, the progress bar only appears when you tap the area to the right of artwork I think?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
you select the queue to see shuffle and repeat (next to it) at the top of the screen

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I agree.
Userlevel 2
I've selected group by iTunes.

This lets me search for those artists that appear on compilations…

I have my iTunes library on a NAS though, well a RaspPi with a USB stick plugged in.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
I've selected group by iTunes.
This lets me search for those artists that appear on compilations…
I have my iTunes library on a NAS though, well a RaspPi with a USB stick plugged in.

Well, to clarify what I (and others,,,) mean..
A compilation album (and the COMPILATION tag is set to 1 (in mp3tag too))... For each track, the Artist is set to the actual 'band' name and the Album Artist is set to 'Various'.
When Sonos sorts by iTunes compilations... - when I view a compilation album it's great and the album view shows each song and below it is the band name. HOWEVER, if I do a search for that band.... no songs from any compilation album are returned - only tracks from their own albums.
If I change to 'do not group compilations'... when I do a search for the band I get all results - from both their own albums and compilations they're on. HOWEVER, when I view any compilation album it lists each track but underneath (where the artist should be!!) is simply blank.
Can you clarify your scenario?...
I have just repeated this and, sadly, the status quo remains - and NOT the band!! ;)

So yeah, Sonos may say it can search 'universally' but the fact is, it can't even search my own, local collection.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings