Question

New $50 Amazon Tablet. Good Sonos Controller?

• 17 September 2015
  • 14 replies

Looks like it might be, assuming it hasn't been crippled. Hope it supports pinning an app.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-rolls-49-99-mass-130335246.html

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Looks like it could be a good controller... has similar specs to Samsung's 8" Galaxy Tab A, just a little smaller on the screen and less storage... but you don't need storage if you're just using the Sonos controller app.
I like that they offer a 6-pack for a discounted price. You could have a controller in every room!
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Just read the description on Amazon. I see "Fire OS" and no mention of Android. I am skeptical that the Sonos app will run on this.
Just read the description on Amazon. I see "Fire OS" and no mention of Android. I am skeptical that the Sonos app will run on this.

It's a forked version of Android. Not sure which version, though; app pinning might be disabled, as Amazon wants you to use it for shopping. The Sonos app is available on Amazon's store.
anyone tried this yet? seems like a great deal to have a dedicated/always on controller
Haven't tried it, but did pick up one of these LG phones at Best Buy for $15. Larger than the one I got from Rat Shack a couple years back for $20. Super simple to bypass the setup screens, works nicely as a Sonos remote.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-wireless-prepaid-lg-optimus-exceed-2-no-contract-cell-phone-black/5941013.p
Amazon has a Fire specific Sonos app that works on all Fire tablets. It works great. Note that like iOS, there is no beta version for the Fire app, so if you are interested in running betas, it may not be for you.
"Coming soon—A software update in the coming weeks will enable Prime Music to be stored on microSD."

Interesting. I wonder if it will be accessible via the Sonos controller, as it now supports Prime Music?
Now just $35 for what should be a pretty decent controller. Black Friday deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TSUGXKE
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Mine was delivered yesterday. Easy to get up and running and connected to Sonosnet. Works fine. Now to work out how to (i) wake it on shaking and (ii) open straight into the Sonos app.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Were you able to get it to open straight into the Sonos app? I'm considering this for a dedicated Sonos controller.

Mine was delivered yesterday. Easy to get up and running and connected to Sonosnet. Works fine. Now to work out how to (i) wake it on shaking and (ii) open straight into the Sonos app.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
"Were you able to get it to open straight into the Sonos app? I'm considering this for a dedicated Sonos controller."

Unfortunately I have not yet found a way to do this. Screen pinning does not appear to be available in the Amazon version of Android. Nor have I found a "shake to wake" app which actually functions properly. But otherwise the tablet works very well.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Fire tablet just dropped in price. Has anyone found a way to achieve something akin to screen pinning without rooting?
I successfully set up an Amazon Fire tablet as a dedicated controller for sonos. Trick is to use the parental controls to set up a 'child' account. Only allow that account to see apps, and only choose the SONOS app. Disable the login key for the user, and keep your account password protected. Done and done... getting the thing to wake up when you pick it up I haven't figured out yet, but not a big deal for me.