Network Problem Detected

• 29 October 2019
  • 37 replies

I’ve been using Sonos and controlling it from my phone for over 1 year.  last week I receive a “netwrok problem detected” error when “I sign in to use new features” on the bar at the top of the app or when I check for updates in system updates.  I run an iPhone XR with iOS 13.2.  The Sonos is up to date.  The Sonos app runs correctly from other iPhones in my house.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

For me was the opposite, I had to enable connection via Surfshark to be able to access the internet. Y power cycle everything with no result. So, since I se everyone disabling the VPN and I do not have those enable, I tried to enable it to see what happens, and it worked.  Usually I had this error with all my devices OSX, IOS, and android.  with the VPN  it works now. I will talk with my internet provider to see if they can fix the issue.

I had experienced the same issue despite of iOS version. Discovered that it was company VPN Zscaler that was blocking the Sonos app. When the Zscaler is disabled the Sonos app works just fine. 

Yes, had same problem on Android, wife’s iPhone worked fine. Turned off ExpressVPN then it worked fine. Then re-activated ExpressVPN. 

My iPhone was getting the same network error while all my other devices were not.  I have “Circle” installed on my network.  It’s a firewall to monitor my kids internet.  I turned off circle and it solved the issue - I was able to log into my sonos account.  When I turned circle back on, I’m still logged in.  I disconnected my iPhone and sonos from the Circle network to be safe going forward.  

Glad I found this. I have a business phone with Cisco on it. 

Luckily I have an iPad so not an issue. 

@dwi1972 

I am having the same issue on iPhone XR iOS 13.4.1

I looked at the Cisco support link above and Cisco says:

This issue will require a resolution from the Sonos side. Please contact Sonos support to add your support for a resolution.

Cisco Umbrella has investigated this issue and confirmed that all DNS queries received by the CSC are answered without issue when the impacts occur. As a result, the issue is confirmed to occur in the OS layer between the DNS request and the transfer of this DNS query via the NEDNSProxyProvider Network Extension in iOS to the CSC with a component of the Sonos system currently in use.”

Has there been any response from Sonos to this?

Wouldn’t it be nice if Sonos took this problem seriously? I’ve been torched with the same issue for several months now, no resolution at hand.

The music services and sign-on refuses to work on my iOS device (iphone Xs iOS 13.3.1). Windows controller works fine. Using a visitors iOS device works fine. So obviously the problem resides on my  device itself, but nobody has been able to pinpoint it, including Sonos Support.

Yes Cisco Security is installed but only Umbrella which should not be the issue (have also tried removing it, to confirm that). Furthermore I don’t use a VPN on my device in general, so that doesnt seem to be the issue either.

Fresh ideas appreciated! 

Hi,

i have read through the whole of this topic as I had exactly the same problem causing me no end of confusion. Then I saw the dreaded VPN word and realised this was what was causing the issue.

i use Norton secure VPN. Norton keep telling me to enable it so I did but it causes a LOT of issues with many apps including my sonos.

so, what’s the point of personal VPN on my iPad if it causes apps to fail or not work properly?

thanks to all in this forum for solving my issue quicker than I would have otherwise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@snitramc sounds a lot like you had a VPN added to your phone, maybe to connect to your work network so you can work remotely? VPNs will usually mess with local network access.

As everything works from your laptop, the problem is on your phone somewhere.

I have the same problem.  I have two Sound 1 speakers playing in stereo. I was controlling them via a Pixel 2 XL. Last week everything worked perfectly. This weekend, all of a sudden certain services are not available on the phone controller. There is a message about signing in but when I try to do so I get a “Network problem detected” message. I have a router for internet and two range extenders, one on each floor of my house. The basement extender is hardwired to the router. The upstairs is linked to the basement extender via wifi. I have rebooted everything - router, extenders, speakers, phone. I still get the message. I can easily control the speakers from the controller on my laptop, including insuring I am signed in there. All services are available on the laptop controller. But on the phone, no luck. However, when I  change stations from the laptop controller, the change is reflected on my phone. Any help appreciated. 

How frustrating that must have been! My previous company required a ‘profile’ be installed on all devices that could connect to the email servers. What they didn’t explain was that ‘profile’ included a VPN, which took me a while to figure out, so I feel your pain. 

I have been having the same issue--on my iPhone, I could not access any of my music services, nor could I log in to my Sonos account, though I could see all my speakers and start/pause them (but not choose what they would play). After a lengthy back-and-forth with the Sonos support team, and a phone call today, I found this thread and decided to see if I had a VPN going on my phone without my knowledge. Turns out I did--ExpressVPN had activated itself without giving me any indication of it--so I turned it off and all started to work again. 

Just wanted to say that on an iphone X on a network which has ipv6 as well the same issue occured.

When I disabled the ipv6 DNS the message went away

Talked to Sonos support, although they didn’t find the issue until I came across this thread and saw the comment about Cisco Security Connector. With this information we were able to determine what the issue is as all my Apple devices connect as expected except for my 2 work devices which have the CSC (Cisco Security Connector) installed.

The Sonos Support person did find this bit of info on how to get further resolution from Cisco (unfortunately the iOS upgrade to 13.2.3 didn’t work)… Go to this link for Sonos and the Cisco Security Connector (CSC) for iOS (same link from IanHenry above):

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024706451-Sonos-and-the-Cisco-Security-Connector-CSC-for-iOS 

I’m waiting now to hear back from Cisco on this matter.

I am soooooo glad I just had a look at this THANKYOU! I posted a thread a few hours ago after trying to sign in after getting a new android device Here only to be confronted with not being able to sign on, mentioning the DNS request made me realised I had cloud flares 1.1.1.1 app running disabled  the VPN  and BAM  the window loaded first time! This definitely  by what I can see to be a dns problem not sure why it would cause this behaviour  though, I'm no iOS expert but maybe the new update changed network settings? Check and see if you are using a vpn would be my first thought. I will be updating my own post linking to this thread incase it is indeed the same issue that I was having

I would recommend that you contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

What do you do if you do not have the Cisco App and you are still getting the message “Network Problem Detected”?  #PleaseHelp

Here the same issue as mentioned below with a business Iphone7. Updated IOS to 13.2.3 but still not solved. So far i can see no Cisco security app. Somebody have a great idea??

Had the same problem with a new business iphone and upgraded to 13.2.2 and problem was still there. I deleted the Cisco security app like others and everything works now. Also noticed that when trying to Browse music, the only icon showing was Radio by Tunein. Amazon Music, Apple Music, SoundCloud and Spotify were all empty square icons so somehow the Cisco app is blocking access to music services 

I’m glad I read through this … it’s been an absolute pain and I’d say this is bang on, it’s the Cisco issue. Both my iOS devices are work controlled and have Cisco Security installed. I just successfully used a family member’s personal Android device and the issue went away. 

Thanks 78cdu - I had the same network problem and I deleted the Cisco security app - problem solved. Remains to see what my company’s IT security people think ;-)

Had the same problem with a new business iphone and upgraded to 13.2.2 and problem was still there. I deleted the Cisco security app like others and everything works now. Also noticed that when trying to Browse music, the only icon showing was Radio by Tunein. Amazon Music, Apple Music, SoundCloud and Spotify were all empty square icons so somehow the Cisco app is blocking access to music services 

Interesting. I didn’t know there was an update out there. Must have been an iOS issue that Apple fixed in the new release, which takes Cisco and Sonos off the hook :;)

problem fixed with iOS 13.2.2 upgrade!…. yeaahhh… ;)

Also had exactly the same issues since installing 13.2, already had the Cisco app installed before the iOS update and then all the same issues on the Sonos app with Network errors and music services not showing. Just deleted Cisco and Sonos worked instantly. Just hope work don’t reinstall it again remotely/automatically! Phew, I have been going round and round rebooting, reinstalling etc at least it works now!! 👍

Yes Ken is correct, it is the Cisco Security App that intercepts DNS calls.

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024706451-Sonos-and-the-Cisco-Security-Connector-CSC-for-iOS

Seems to be a known issue, but no resolution. Cisco blame Sonos/Apple, and I guess they will blame Cisco.

I did manage to temporarily de-install it so that I can at least select some music.