Network Problem Detected

• 29 October 2019
  • 37 replies

I’ve been using Sonos and controlling it from my phone for over 1 year.  last week I receive a “netwrok problem detected” error when “I sign in to use new features” on the bar at the top of the app or when I check for updates in system updates.  I run an iPhone XR with iOS 13.2.  The Sonos is up to date.  The Sonos app runs correctly from other iPhones in my house.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

I have to ask. What app are you talking about? Can you provide a screen capture?

I’m running iOS 13.2 and the Sonos app 10.5. When I look at any of the tabs on my Sonos app, which are My Sonos, Browse, Rooms, Search, and Settings, none of them have an “I sign in to use new features” on the top bar, or anywhere else, so I don’t know where you’re talking about. I do see my account on the settings page, I suppose if I weren’t signed in there, it might say “sign in”, but it’s been so many years since I’ve signed out of my Sonos, I’m honestly not sure.

In more general terms, most often the “network problem detected” is about problems with either the speakers reaching the internet, or the device your controller is on reaching the speakers, which is where the true application is running. What’s on your phone is just a remote control that is used to “log in to’ the system running on the speakers, be it just one speaker, or many.

Any additional clarity you can provide to help understand what you’re looking at would be most helpful.

I am experiencing precisely the same issue since the upgrade to iOS 13.2 on my iPhone XS.  “network problem detected” when trying to access Radio by TuneIn, Apple Music Library, or checking for updates from the Sonos Controller app… However, I can stil control my Sonos speakers… please help!...

I have exactly the same issue.

iOS 13.1.3, Sonos App 10.5, Play 5, Play 3 using WiFi.

I can see/connect to the Sonos but I am unable to browse music or add services from my either iPhone or iPad.

Another iPhone on the same network works perfectly.  It has iOS 13.1.2 can browse services and the music.

On my setup the Sonos connects via 2Ghz and the iPhones connects to the same router with 5Ghz.

KenStev, have you attempted a reboot of your router, followed by a reboot of your speakers? Your report smacks of an inability for the speakers to reach the outside world.

IanHenry, since other devices are working properly, and that one phone isn’t, it’s more perplexing. With no guaranty, the first troubleshooting step I would try is simply turning off WiFi on that phone, waiting a minute, then turning it back on to re-establish the connection to your WiFi. Then, if that didn’t work, I’d try a full power cycle of the phone to see if that helped.

Failing that, I’d recommend that you contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your feedback - I tried everything I could incl. reboot of router, followed by speakers etc.  My issue is similar to IanHenry’s - everything works fine with my other iOS mobile devices (e.g. iPad) that are not on iOS 13.2…  I am afraid I have no other option than contacting Sonos support…

Thanks;

Ken

Sorry I wasn’t more help.  I’d be fascinated if you can share when you get it resolved. I’d love to know what the cause was. Right now, I can’t find any logical way for this to occur, so learning more will make me happy ;)

Thanks Airgetlam, yes I have already tried the obvious

Reboot all Sonos
Reboot Router
Reboot Phone and Toggle Wi-Fi
Deleted Sonos app and re-installed

I will contact support as a last resort. :-)

FWIW, deleting and reinstalling the app won’t make much difference. It’s just a remote control that connects to the Sonos running on the speakers. But then again, I really don’t know why one device of several can’t make a connection. My suspicion is that the offending device is either not connected to the WiFi properly, or is connected to a different “node” of the WiFi that’s not on the same subnet as the Sonos system, so the signal’s not being sent across subnets, as it is designed not to do.

So, I’ll look for a post from you when you get your answer!

Same issue as above posts:  New iPhone Xs, running iOS 13.1.3, Sonos app 10.5. Sonos was running fine until 1 week ago. Now I can’t access Apple Music  - “unable to browse music - problem connecting”. Also unable to sign into Sonos account from my iPhone - “Network Problem Detected - check your internet”. I can adjust volume, speakers, etc but can’t access any music service or log in as stated.

No issues with my network or Boost or speakers - other family iPhones and my iPad all able to connect and access Apple Music.  May have started after iOS 13.1.3 update but I can’t be sure (was out of town; came home and this issue started)

Diagnostic info submitted - 2057760074

Was on phone with Sonos support for 30 minutes - was a complete waste of time. Had already tried every fix (rebooting router, boost phone; reinstalling music service) before and went through same drill with same results. 

Please help!

Roger

Same issue as reported above. Pretty sure it started with updating iOS to 13.2 on my iPhone XS. However it works as normal on my iPad that also runs 13.2 . Both with Sonos version 10.5. Both on the same wireless network. 

Completely baffled. Tried all the usual things like re-booting phone , network etc. Also switched off the Bridge and used WiFi to the Sonos net . No change.
Is there some extra layer of security with IPhone IOS 13.2 that don’t allow it to access the internet from the Sonos network?? 

If someone solves it - please report the fix ! 

Hi,

i am wondering if the issue is not due to corporate managed security… I have a Cisco Security app installed - which might  prevent the Sonos Controller to access the internet… makes sense?

k.

It’s certainly possible that other apps might be “blocking” access from the particular device to other internal network devices, such as the Sonos speakers. Effectively, this is what most VPNs do, create a tunnel between the device and the end server, not allowing any external connections. 

This is particularly challenging to diagnose in a forum, though. I’d certainly encourage folks to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. 

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

Yes Ken is correct, it is the Cisco Security App that intercepts DNS calls.

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024706451-Sonos-and-the-Cisco-Security-Connector-CSC-for-iOS

Seems to be a known issue, but no resolution. Cisco blame Sonos/Apple, and I guess they will blame Cisco.

I did manage to temporarily de-install it so that I can at least select some music.

Also had exactly the same issues since installing 13.2, already had the Cisco app installed before the iOS update and then all the same issues on the Sonos app with Network errors and music services not showing. Just deleted Cisco and Sonos worked instantly. Just hope work don’t reinstall it again remotely/automatically! Phew, I have been going round and round rebooting, reinstalling etc at least it works now!! 👍

problem fixed with iOS 13.2.2 upgrade!…. yeaahhh… ;)

Interesting. I didn’t know there was an update out there. Must have been an iOS issue that Apple fixed in the new release, which takes Cisco and Sonos off the hook :;)

Had the same problem with a new business iphone and upgraded to 13.2.2 and problem was still there. I deleted the Cisco security app like others and everything works now. Also noticed that when trying to Browse music, the only icon showing was Radio by Tunein. Amazon Music, Apple Music, SoundCloud and Spotify were all empty square icons so somehow the Cisco app is blocking access to music services 

Thanks 78cdu - I had the same network problem and I deleted the Cisco security app - problem solved. Remains to see what my company’s IT security people think ;-)

I’m glad I read through this … it’s been an absolute pain and I’d say this is bang on, it’s the Cisco issue. Both my iOS devices are work controlled and have Cisco Security installed. I just successfully used a family member’s personal Android device and the issue went away. 

Here the same issue as mentioned below with a business Iphone7. Updated IOS to 13.2.3 but still not solved. So far i can see no Cisco security app. Somebody have a great idea??

Had the same problem with a new business iphone and upgraded to 13.2.2 and problem was still there. I deleted the Cisco security app like others and everything works now. Also noticed that when trying to Browse music, the only icon showing was Radio by Tunein. Amazon Music, Apple Music, SoundCloud and Spotify were all empty square icons so somehow the Cisco app is blocking access to music services 

What do you do if you do not have the Cisco App and you are still getting the message “Network Problem Detected”?  #PleaseHelp

I would recommend that you contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I am soooooo glad I just had a look at this THANKYOU! I posted a thread a few hours ago after trying to sign in after getting a new android device Here only to be confronted with not being able to sign on, mentioning the DNS request made me realised I had cloud flares 1.1.1.1 app running disabled  the VPN  and BAM  the window loaded first time! This definitely  by what I can see to be a dns problem not sure why it would cause this behaviour  though, I'm no iOS expert but maybe the new update changed network settings? Check and see if you are using a vpn would be my first thought. I will be updating my own post linking to this thread incase it is indeed the same issue that I was having

Talked to Sonos support, although they didn’t find the issue until I came across this thread and saw the comment about Cisco Security Connector. With this information we were able to determine what the issue is as all my Apple devices connect as expected except for my 2 work devices which have the CSC (Cisco Security Connector) installed.

The Sonos Support person did find this bit of info on how to get further resolution from Cisco (unfortunately the iOS upgrade to 13.2.3 didn’t work)… Go to this link for Sonos and the Cisco Security Connector (CSC) for iOS (same link from IanHenry above):

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024706451-Sonos-and-the-Cisco-Security-Connector-CSC-for-iOS 

I’m waiting now to hear back from Cisco on this matter.

Just wanted to say that on an iphone X on a network which has ipv6 as well the same issue occured.

When I disabled the ipv6 DNS the message went away