Need possibility of adding delay in addition to the normal 70ms

• 25 September 2012
  • 167 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi, I'm very excited about Sonos, and recently upgraded AV Receivers to be able to seamlessly switch inputs from CD/DVD/Phono/Sonos while using the Autoplay function in Sonos. Fantastic idea, (and very surprised not everyone's doing this), BUT I find that my system is no longer in sync (the Sonos P3's and P5 are ahead of the sound coming through the Connect via Hifi). I did not have this issue with the lower end Denon 1911, but I do now with the 3313. I can add delay with the 3313, but that doesn't help me since it's the other Sonos modules that are ahead of the Denon. Adding the possibility of adding delay (in addition to the required 70ms for processing) would make my system whole again.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

167 replies

That would be fair.  If they say they're never fixing this problem then everyone can make a decision what to do based on their individual circumstance.  Look at these posts!  

They should give indication on the boxes of their hardware 'Expect delay/echo/sync problems if used with modern A/V Receivers.'  

I certainly was unaware of the problem when I purchased my Sonos components.  And Best Buy, where I made my purchase, didn't mention anything.  Did anyone else know before they bought Sonos speakers/system?

I suppose someone could say 'you should have done your research before buying.'  That's somewhat fair, but, what am I supposed to do?  Read every damn post in here before buying?  They advertise the product as seamless and easy to use.  It didn't occur to me that Sonos doesn't play nice with other audio components.  And this is a MAJOR problem.

Granted, I decided to not to return my one Play 3 even though I found out about the problem once I hooked everything up.  It's in the basement and you can't tell it's slightly out of sync.  Regardless, I'm definitely not going to buy any more Sonos components unless the problem is fixed.

I personally am going to begin to look into another solution anyway because I'm tired of trying to read Sonos tea leaves.  I have more rooms in my home where I want synced audio and it irks me that the one speaker I have doesn't work just right.
LOL, this is the same answer I got two years ago.  I no longer sell Sonos because of this shortcoming. 
Here's an article that betray's Sonos's attitude to our collective complaint. Straight from the mouth of one of the founders of the company: 'The A/V Receiver is Dead' http://tehparadox.com/forum/f28/sonos-v-receiver-dead-2654775/
Userlevel 1
As a pro AV integrator for a living, I would like to add to the requests for a delay feature in the Sonos players. The AV receiver and for that matter high end audio is certainly not dead. On over 50% of our Sonos business clients want to integrate Sonos with their very nice existing audio systems, many of them surround systems with DSP that delays the audio. Seems to me this would be a "soft" feature that could be implemented at low cost through Sonos update. For less advanced users, Sonos could setup by default with no delay, in an advanced menu select "enable delay" and adjust it from there. 50% of the systems we sell use a CONNECT through surround? I would say it's a vital feature. Thanks, David Smith Theater Design Northwest http://www.theaterdesignnw.com
Userlevel 1
I should add that in regard to the need for a delay feature, Bet there's way more interest in this than the LIKES show. Lot's of folks probably try it, it's not in sync and give up at that point by just turning off the system with the best audio quality in their home that they should be enjoying Sonos through. Sonos is an awesome product and company and I give their tech support a 10, that's from an installer that uses support times X more than an end user. And I can understand how they have a strong interest in the KISS (keep it simple stupid!) factor as that is one of the best features of Sonos. Still, most of my clients rely on my tools+skills to setup and maintain their systems and I certainly possess the ability to measure and adjust some delays to line up the audio through multiple zones. And when you look at the questions on the Sonos forums it is easy to see that many end users are power user audiophiles that would use and understand advanced features like this as well. So, Sonos is the hands down leader for reliability, killer user interface and the added ability to deliver bit perfect audio as well if set up correctly. So my question: why not give us this bit more of pro level capability so we can build even better Sonos systems with an already stellar product? And while I'm at it, if delay were implemented across the Sonos product line, add an analog sub output to CONNECT + SONOS SUB capability as well. It would go a long way toward broadening the capabilities and from my POV, selling more Sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Please?
Essential... if there's the functionality there to manually delay to synchronise sound for the PLAYBAR why not for the CONNECT? The echo between rooms is painful, particularly when we've spent hundreds of pounds on Sonos kit. Sort it out, please.
How disappointing that Sonos doesn't support this.  It's a deal killer for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
at this point only the Playbar has ability to adjust delay (for TV audio sync).  It can be done and surprised it has not on the Connect.
Same problem here: AV receiver is adding delay due to digital signal processing (DSP).

I am a software engineer myself and I would be happy to help in any possible way during the development of this feature, testing using the BETA, etc.

Here I propose a simple solution for the development team: although I don't know about the internal details of the implementation which Sonos is using I assume that each player has an internal audio buffer.
In this case it is possible to play the buffered audio a few milliseconds ahead / after. If the buffer is big enough playing a few ms in advance would not be a problem. In my humble opinion, even starting the sound a few ms after in that particular device with negative delay settings is completely acceptable.

In the UI it would be necessary to add an expandable config section with the label "Advanced" in the room/device EQ settings where you can specify the delay. A slider with a range between -500ms and 500ms should be enough. The reset button would go back to a 0 value in the delay.
With this solution each sonos device would be playing the internal buffer with he specified delay. If developing the feature is too expensive due to testing/maintainibility for all the sonos devices, I think that this feature is a MUST at least in the Sonos Connect.
The main use of the sonos CONNECT is to pair it with an existing Hi-Fi system and most of them nowadays include some sort of DSP processing which delays the output signal.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for any question related to this topic.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Wow I am glad I found this thread. Im upgrading my receiver and was going to add on addititional Sonos speakers with the amazon order...I will be holding off on the Sonos for now. Glad this info is out there
Userlevel 2
Sonos, I've logged in here for the first time to register my support to get this issue fixed. Please!!!
Userlevel 2
Same problem with a Bose Home Theathre, have gone through possible options in Bose´s Menu and nothing fixes the synch problem with Sonos.
Sonos, this delaying audio option ifor sonos connect s a must have!!!!
Over two years and nothing? You should work on this on the beta version that you are working on!
What is the status on this? It's getting ridiculous. The connect is a relatively expensive piece of kit, it can't be that hard to code a delay compensation on it's outputs.... can it? Without that feature it renders the connect useless in party mode for hundreds of your customers, it really should be addressed.
Same problem with a Bose Home Theathre, have gone through possible options in Bose´s Menu and nothing fixes the synch problem with Sonos.
Sonos, this delaying audio option ifor sonos connect s a must have!!!!
Over two years and nothing? You should work on this on the beta version that you are working on!

i had the same problem with delay on my Bose 123 system, i changed the optical cabel to a analog. now it doesnt delay anymore
Anything on this yet>
Yes, as I want to use the processing in the receiver as it gives better sound this delay setting must be solved in the Sonos speakers. It´s just another lipsync option.
I just received 2 Play:3 for Xmas.  but I will be returning them due to this sync issue.  Airfoil and airport express for me!!  It's a shame.  What an easy problem to solve and so many customers would be saved!
Can I please add to this issue.  Using a Sonos Connect with Onkyo amplifier using Coaxial link.  The delay is timed at 1.2 seconds.  Considering the much higher price of the connect over the Play speakers I think this should be added.
Can I please add to this issue. 
Have your tried using an RCA cable and putting the receiver in stereo/direct mode to avoid processing delay?
Can I please add to this issue.  Using a Sonos Connect with Onkyo amplifier using Coaxial link.  The delay is timed at 1.2 seconds.  Considering the much higher price of the connect over the Play speakers I think this should be added.
That's all well and good if you don't care about any of your surround speakers or your sub.  The lack of sub is the kicker for me. 
Received 2 x Play:3 for Xmas and going to exchange them for Airports and powered speakers if this can't be addressed.  At least there are apps for Airplay that I can use to compensate for the delay!  It really is a shame....I'd love to go with Sonos instead.
Userlevel 2
I'd also like to know the status on this. Is there another post we should be keeping an eye on maybe?
I bought a Connect yesterday and had the delay (with my Onkyo tx-nr609) everyone is experiencing when grouping it with another Sonos device. I was able to reduce the delay by changing the A/V sync settings for the specific source to -110ms (yes, minus(!) 110 ms; according to the manual it is not possible, but it actually is). This works for me and any delay is now unnoticeable. I use an optical cable between Sonos Connect and the Onkyo device. I hope this comment is of any help to some.
Please implement this feature. The Connect is useless without. Might as well return this to the store.