Need possibility of adding delay in addition to the normal 70ms

• 25 September 2012
  • 167 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi, I'm very excited about Sonos, and recently upgraded AV Receivers to be able to seamlessly switch inputs from CD/DVD/Phono/Sonos while using the Autoplay function in Sonos. Fantastic idea, (and very surprised not everyone's doing this), BUT I find that my system is no longer in sync (the Sonos P3's and P5 are ahead of the sound coming through the Connect via Hifi). I did not have this issue with the lower end Denon 1911, but I do now with the 3313. I can add delay with the 3313, but that doesn't help me since it's the other Sonos modules that are ahead of the Denon. Adding the possibility of adding delay (in addition to the required 70ms for processing) would make my system whole again.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

167 replies

This problem needs to be posted to twitter by all, that seems to be the only way to get any attention these days, i have!!
Post it as a warning to potential customers and see if it gets us a reply
Latest response from Sonos....It's the same thing I got 2 years ago, and several times after that....

Discussion Thread
 Response Via Email (Ryan S.)01/10/2014 05:27 PM Hello,

We understand the interest in this feature and thanks for the heads up on the latest comments. We are watching the threads on Ask and listening. There aren't any updates regarding the ability to add a delay on your Sonos components around the house. Currently we have very complicated protocols around syncing the timing on all of your components, but that means that the CONNECT may be out of sync from others if your receiver is taking too long to process the signal. This thread is still under consideration, a status meaning we aren't ready to announce anything.

At this time, I don't have an update for you or other customers eagerly awaiting a status change, but rest assured, we will be letting you know as soon as anything is able to be made public. Right now, we appreciate your all enthusiasm and patience until we have something to share.

Cheers,

Ryan S.
Sonos Customer Care  Customer By Web Form (Creative Network Solutions Calanchini)
We need delay compensation NOW! What is happening on this issue???
Agreed. The above says nothing. Adding a manual delay would not interrupt "complicated protocols". By nature, it would be a simple addition which users could emply themselves. This response assumes all of us are idiots.
Nobody at sonos obviously thinks this is a problem, yet I know having talked to a lot of people it is losing them massive amounts of business, amongst people with receivers who would undoubtedly invest in sonos systems, if the would integrate with them , however due to this issue they are unwilling to do so!!!! Please Sonos take this issue seriously it's making yourselves look bad at quality customer service.
The only way I managed to sync my receiver with the sonos connect was to use Spotify on my Iphone, airplay to my receiver and use zone 2 on my receiver connected to the sonos connect line in. This causes a delay to the sonos connect which can be compensated by the delay function in my receiver. However since airplay isn't as stable as sonos wifi I'm still waiting for sonos to introduce a delay. I will not recommend the sonos connect to anyone until the delay function has been implemented. Cheers
Hey Azur D, its been well over a year since you commented on this topic. Is there any news? 
Userlevel 1
Because of this "bug", I've decided to return all my Connect units.  Listening to music was simply horrible with the delay...  

I'm keeping my Play 1s and hope that they someday fix this big problem.
Userlevel 1
I came across this problem last night myself. I have a Connect on my Onkyo receiver in my front room with adjoining rooms having Play 5's and and Connect Amp on a patio off the main room.  I've still yet to try direct mode but this is a really important feature request as far as I'm concerned.
Just wanted to emphasize my like with a message that I am one of the original purchasers of Sonos - have six zones currently, and this is one of the very few issues that I've had with the system.  I'm hearing more and more about this from others, including just today a coworker who decided not to purchase because of this issue.
Userlevel 2
I'm currently holding off on buying into the Sonos system due to this issue. I'm hopeful that Sonos can offer a solution but if a competitor offers a more compelling option that can also integrate my current AV components without a delay, I'll bite. Unfortunately, I think Sonos is content with their position and doesn't feel too threatened. In any case, I'm not buying until the issue is addressed.
Userlevel 1
Most people who buy the Connect device do so to integrate SONOS with an EXISTING expensive multi speaker setup.  And who these days doesn't buy a surround sound receiver???  Most all of them perform processing which is the cause of the delay.

I've tried the suggested solution - Direct mode which improved the sync issues only slightly but in that mode, all I get are two speakers; left, right and the sub.  Forget the other two sets that I have in the system!

SONOS, you have marketed a device that by it's very definition is supposed to integrate these systems into the SONOS eco-system.  Your slogan that you so proudly display across your site needs some reconsideration!

"Warm, full-bodied sound that’s crystal clear at any volume. No skips, delays or drops. Perfect sync in every room."

However difficult this may be to code around based on a response further up this thread, you absolutely must address this.  How can you continue to sell the Connect knowing that it will very likely NOT be in "Perfect Sync" with any of your other rooms where you have SONOS devices?

This shouldn't be a wish, it's a glaring short-coming of the SONOS system as it stands today and it contradicts your marketing entirely.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a Yamaha RX-A1010 that I hooked up with a Connect trying both digital out connections, I immediately hit the sync problem when zoned with a Play 5. I sent the Connect back within 2 days due to disappointment. I was going to sell the Yamaha and get a Playbar but the DTS decision changed that plan, I ended up upgrading the speakers on my Amp to SVS Ultras. I borrowed a Connect from a colleague of mine to give it one more try, same delay with the digital connections but no delay with the analog output into the CD input on the Yamaha, worked independent of any AV processing I enabled. I about to repurchase the Connect again.  
Userlevel 1
Badge

Most people who buy the Connect device do so to integrate SONOS with an EXISTING expensive multi speaker setup.  And who these days doesn't buy a surround sound receiver???  Most all of them perform processing which is the cause of the delay.

I've tried the suggested solution - Direct mode which improved the sync issues only slightly but in that mode, all I get are two speakers; left, right and the sub.  Forget the other two sets that I have in the system!

SONOS, you have marketed a device that by it's very definition is supposed to integrate these systems into the SONOS eco-system.  Your slogan that you so proudly display across your site needs some reconsideration!

"Warm, full-bodied sound that’s crystal clear at any volume. No skips, delays or drops. Perfect sync in every room."

However difficult this may be to code around based on a response further up this thread, you absolutely must address this.  How can you continue to sell the Connect knowing that it will very likely NOT be in "Perfect Sync" with any of your other rooms where you have SONOS devices?

This shouldn't be a wish, it's a glaring short-coming of the SONOS system as it stands today and it contradicts your marketing entirely.

I have a Yamaha RX-A1010 that I hooked up with a Connect trying both digital out connections, I immediately hit the sync problem when zoned with a Play 5. I sent the Connect back within 2 days due to disappointment. I was going to sell the Yamaha and get a Playbar but the DTS decision changed that plan, I ended up upgrading the speakers on my Amp to SVS Ultras. I borrowed a Connect from a colleague of mine to give it one more try, same delay with the digital connections but no delay with the analog output into the CD input on the Yamaha, worked independent of any AV processing I enabled. I'm about to repurchase the Connect again.

Right, that would work. But you are now taking a digital signal, degrading it to analog and not processing it. So if you have a sub or Surround speakers you are no longer using them or the processing on your nice receiver.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Agreed Abel but if I put the Yamaha to 7 Channel I get excellent audio with an active Sub. I would prefer to use a Digital out and the price point of the Connect would suggest that it should work. I believe Sonos is somewhat complacent with their customer base as evident with the lack of DTS on the playbar, poor sync with the Connect and an app experience that is less than ideal unless your on iOS.

What model of Yamaha do you have. If its in 7 channel mode, and you are getting sound through sub, you may have found the Holy grail of this thread. I agree with you that Sonos is not interested in accomodating any product that is not theirs. If I was Sonos marketing, I would want customers to be forced to buy more speakers. Not integrate with the ones the customer already owns. Problem is the Sonos speaker will never sounds as good as my B&Ws.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

He's stating in the comment the model, the question is if he hears music 5.1 or just stereo.
Same Problem with a Denon AVR-3313. The connect device is the first device from Sonos where I am not satified. From an innocvative Company like Sonus it should be no issue to implement that once in the connect device one time.
I would purchase 2-3 more play3s if sonos fixes this problem.  The sonos system is obviously able to implement a delay because the system is capable of a lipsync delay.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I have a very simple problem that prohibits me from adding my SONOS amp as a pair of rear speakers to my computer. My computer presently has two basic "front" powered speakers on my desk. My office SONOS amp is on my credenza behind me. I want to connect the computer's "rear" speaker jack to the Line In on the SONOS so that I can have surround.

When I did this the delay was almost 1 second because of the SONOS compression. So I turned compression off. The delay lessened, but not enough to eliminate the echo caused by the delay. I then fiddled with my computer's Realtek HD Sound driver to change the virtual distance between the rear speakers and this did not have enough impact to eliminate the echo either.

Assuming that the SONOS signal is processed by software that creates this delay, wouldn't it be possible to add a setting in the next firmware update to bypass the signal processing (for Line In  only) that creates any delay at all? This would allow anyone to marry a basic set of powered speakers with a second set of SONOS speakers with no echo.

Thanks
Any hint as to whether this is coming?  I know you can't promise a date or anything, but a "yes" it's in the top 10 or something would be good.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I would say it will never happen as it has been over 2 years and this issue still persists. Sonos know about it, I've even been messaged by them telling me to bypass the surround capabilities of my AV Receiver which completely misses the point of having a AV Receiver. I actually don't think they can implement a solution to this problem as if they could they would have done it by now! It is a shame because they have certainly lost further sales to me!
It is definitely technically possible and Sonos has to ability to implement it.  
1. The Playbar has a the ability to change the delay.  
2. I'm fairly certain that when the original Sonos speakers came out they HAD a delay feature that could be adjusted per speaker.  Someone more familiar with the history of the Sonos product line and software might want to comment.

On these forums Sonos and other posters repeatedly take this tone that 'blames' the receiver for the lack of sync. Nothing could be further from the truth.  No one component or manufacturer is to blame for the situation.  The problem is both the receiver companies and Sonos aren't taking care of their customer's needs.

Take a look at all these posts on the 'sync' issue.  There is a very real and compelling need for an audio system that meets the needs of both wired and wireless speakers while keeping the entire system in sync.  The reality is that most people have a receiver with wired speakers (typically theater or TV room and maybe in a few other zones) but also want the sprinkle more speakers throughout their home.

Why won't Sonos invest in this software tweak?  I'm pretty sure the delay option would just be a software update.  Unless they package the feature in a new device as a money grab.  I can only speculate.  From the outside it appears that the company wants complete 'control' of their audio ecosystem.  Kind of an Apple computers mentality.  To me it reads 'Our product is so fabulous people will adjust their entire audio systems to fit Sonos.'  

That's not remotely true for me.  Sonos has a cool business model and a neat product but there it has more quality competition every day.

I'm in the same boat as most people here.  I would buy between 3-4 more Play 3's if they had the delay feature.  I like quality audio but I like it more when EVERYTHING in my house is in sync.  

As it stands I'll stick with the one Play 3 I'm currently using.  While I haven't found the solution yet, when something better comes along that fits my specific needs (wireless speaker technology that can seamlessly integrate with my current wired system and stay in sync), I'll get rid of my one Sonos speaker and buy the more complete product.

I personally don't intend to invest any more in Sonos until they invest in me.
I think it would be in SONOS best interest to update us on this situation out of common courtesy. There's obviously enough people concerned with this problem that something should be addressed here in one way or another?

Thank You SONOS, your input would greatly be appreciated!