My system now useless after update!

• 16 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies
So.. after being FORCED to update the app my system is now completely unusable.

EVERY TIME I start the app it tells me I need to update.

An update which, by the way, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY EQUIPMENT I HAVE!!

I cannot access the account because the app only allows me to reset the password.
This is on EVERY handset I have. So.. I cannot log in on any of my Android devices.

My entire music library is now not playable on any of my speakers.

WTF have you done!!??
What idiot thought this update was a good idea?

YTF do you have to FORCE users to update an app that was working perfectly well when the update DOES NOT APPLY?

Well done. You have now rendered my system entirely useless.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You can opt not to automatically update, in the Sonos app for the system, in your app store for the app. If you would like help, people on here are willing to do so... All you had to do was ask rather than rant and shout.
Badge
No, you cant.

As soon as I start the app I HAVE to check for updates. There are no other options.

I cannot access any settings to stop it checking for updates.
OK let me rephrase that. You could have chosen that option at any time since you bought Sonos.
I don't know if it will solve your problem, but on one of your devices try uninstalling the app, reinstall it and select to connect to existing system. It may then ask you to update the system.
Incidentally, where does the account come into it? I didn't have to log into my account to perform the update.
Badge
Already tried.
I can connect perfectly. I just cannot do anything with it!

Uninstall -> install -> connect to existing system -> done.
I am then presented with a screen with only 2 options:
"Check for updates"
"More options"

Check for updates forces me to download the new sw which does not apply to my system.
Select continue and then I have to set up my account.
App then tells me that the system is registered to another email address (one of my others) and the only option I have is to reset the password or transfer it to a new address.
I have been through both of those options and still cannot connect. THEN if I try the app on another device I have to go through the whole process again... AGAIN resetting the password.

More options only gives me:
- About my system
- Submit support diagnostics
- Reset Controller (which basically just exits the app!)
- Contact Us (which, believe me, I HAVE!)

I have also tried backing off to an earlier version of the app... no luck there either. Forces me to update the app first!

The whole thing is just farcical!
Badge
I had the same problem. Sonia for 6 years, no auto updates then all of a sudden I had to create an account and Sonia now updated automatically and is crap.