Answered

My ‘Sonos 1’ app has stopped accessing my Synology DiskStation music folder

• 22 December 2021
  • 6 replies

My ‘Sonos 1’ app has stopped accessing my Synology DiskStation music folder after the recent DSM 7.0 update.

It seems many others have had the same problems and one way around this is to enable NTLMv1 authentication in: ‘Files Services - SMB - Advanced Settings - Others’ on my Synology NAS. The only problem with doing that is that it increases significantly the risk of external attacks!

Can someone please tell me how I can avoid this critical issue, or if there will be a fix in the near future from Sonos on the Sonos1 app? 

I cannot use the Sonos 2 app because I have several units in the house which are not compatible.

Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by controlav 22 December 2021, 14:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is fixed in S2 and will never be fixed in S1.

Choose your poison.

That is really not good enough.

So when Sonos claim on their website, under the S1 app heading “You can continue listening with your Sonos system as you do today. Your system will receive bug fixes and security patches,…....” they are not being truthful.

Unfortunate you feel that way. It’s pretty similar to the way all “smart” device systems work. Windows 3.1 doesn’t get software or security patches on my ‘386 machine, which also can’t run Windows 11. Similarly, my original iPhone doesn’t run iOS13. 

If you set up your Synology properly, as explained in more than one thread, you can continue to use your S1 without issue. 

Perhaps I have missed something here as I am new to this forum.

Could you please direct me to the information which will enable me to set up my system properly and addresses the issue of S1 security vulnerability mentioned in my original post?

Thanks

Typing the word “Synology” or “DSM”  in the search box brings up quite a few threads. I’ll list just a couple of them here, and allow you to do further reading if you desire.

However, if you continue to use S1, as @controlav stated, you’re going to be limited to SMB v1, due to the fact that there’s not room left in the memory to update the Linux kernel required for S1 devices so as to insert the ability to use higher versions of SMB.

The user @Stanley_4 has posted in many threads a solution that he has put on a  website in which he covers how to set up a pi device to act as a more secure gateway. He discusses/links to it in this thread amongst many others:

In most cases, since the access is internal, and behind a firewall, or should be, the actual exposure for SMB v1 on a Sonos system is relatively limited, but YMMV. 

Many thanks for the very helpful info. I will see how it goes.