Answered

Music Library Not working with Sonos S2 on iMac Catalina

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’ve had trouble with the Music Library in the past with S1 (since the latest Mac OS update).  I finally got it to work by turning off the firewall and giving privledge to the Sonos controller (Security & Privacy) for the disk access.   

Now….I noticed there is only S1 Apps available to choose.   And there is something called SonosLibraryServer but no S2.  The S2 app installed OK and works on other services but not my own music library (iTunes).

At any rate, I had to turn off the firewall again and although the S2 controller found all the music files and lists them, I get an error when it tries to play them (file not found).   

I’m going to keep fiddling’ but if somebody knows the secret...please ring in.

icon

Best answer by Dennis from FL 4 July 2020, 14:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

UPDATE:

Fiddling’ paid off.   I removed the access rights for the S1 controller under “Security and Privacy” but left acmes rights for the SonosLibraryServer App.   

And I turned the firewall off until Sonos had indexed the library.

Then I turned it back on

The Music Library is now working !!!   

Userlevel 2
Badge

Under Security and Privacy in Catalina, I don’t see anything called “Access Rights”.  Do you mean “Full Disk Access” or “Files and Folders”?

Neither of those have anything related to the S1 controller, which is uninstalled on my system.

They both have the S2 controller (just called SONOS) these days, and both have full system rights….and no firewall...but Sonos cannot find my library.  

Can  you sahre where you found something called “Access Rights”?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

“Access rights” is what I use to describe the result when I check the box for an app ---   For instance...when I check the box for the Xcode editor -- I can grant “Full Disk” access rights to the APP..

Before S2, Sonos S1 had access rights to the Full Disk and Accessibility --- Now….S2 appears under “Accessibility” but not “Full Disk” but I gave full disk rights to “sonuslibrary server”  

Userlevel 2
Badge

That is most interesting.  I dont have an entry called sonuslibrary.

Userlevel 2

Im having the same issue with the S1 controller.

Tried all what you did with no success.

As wottynatty states - I also have no entry called “sonoslibrary server”  

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I think I added the sonos library by pressing the PLUS + button to add APPs and then browsing to APPS

Not sure if it made a difference….

I think the key is to turn off the firewall and then go to sonos and add the library folder….then come back and turn the firewall back on.   

Userlevel 2
Badge

I didn’t have my firewall on, so that wasn’t the issue.  And there was not an app called Sonuslibrary when I used the plus button, in my folder.

That said:  by using the search feature in the Mac I was able to find the sonuslibrary app and add it and BINGO it worked!

Well, there is still the dumb song number limit so it’s actually still useless to me since it can only catalog half my library, but at least now I know that if Sonos ever fixes that bug I would be able to use the library…..

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Argh…...now it isn’t working again.    I think it works until I reboot… I need to fiddle some more

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I was pulling my hair out with adding a music library with S1 on a Mac and one day I got it running somehow via trial and error.   And then one day it didn’t work again.

Once again, I just ran through the whole gambit of Firewall changes, disk access rights, etc. and no luck.

Now, I installed S2 and I can’t for the life of me get it to add my iTunes music folders.   Once upon a time, there was no issue, it just installed and worked with S1.  The errors I get are the same as S1.  900, 1002, and can’t access.  

I’m convinced it is a Sonos software issue, as I have several programs on my Mac which do a similar thing including Roon, JRiver, iTunes, MyCloud, and Plex.   Never had an issue with any of them.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I give up.   I can’t get the Music Library to work.  Tried everything.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi, @Dennis from FL, @wottynatty, and @sps. Thanks for reaching out and sorry for the late response. About the firewall, we need to make sure it’s properly configured not just by turning it off. You might wanna check this article about Music library troubleshooting for specific errors that you are getting. Please let us know if you need anything. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

That’s the page I was using to troubleshoot.   I got to the part that said “contact Sonos support”

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Krishma.   

Some good news I think

I had my Mac set up for both ethernet and WiFi.   The ethernet for speed, and the WiFi for some device communication like my Apple Watch.

I upgraded my Nest WiFi mesh network to Gen 2 as our ISP is upgrading our Internet speed from 70/15 download/upload Mips to to 250/250.   Now, the WiFi will be blazing fast and I don’t need the ethernet anymore.

I changed the Mac to WiFi only and magically I was now able to add the Music Library in Sonos without a hitch.   That was the only change to the Mac that I know of.   Must be something there that Sonos doesn’t like about the dual connection.   Come to think of it, I think my troubles started about the same time I got my watch.

Anybody else have their Mac set up for both wired and wireless?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Glad that worked for you. I’ve not found having duo connections to be a problem over time though sometimes toggling that can help.

But I sure wish it could increase the song limit!  Jk. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Dennis from FL, thanks for replying and letting us know about that. Yes, it could cause some problems sometimes and nice to hear that it’s working fine now. @wottynatty  is right that we need to make sure we toggle it properly to the right network as well. About the total track count limit is 65,000 tracks, and cannot be exceeded but if you have more than 65,000 tracks, we recommend looking into alternate methods for sharing your library to Sonos, such as Plex or Apple Music (with iTunes Match)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Not sure what you mean by “toggle it” … the Mac allows both Ethernet and WiFi on the same network.   The Ethernet is priority and WiFi Is secondary—-  only used when needed - like my watch.  Never had a problem with the dual connections—- including other music servers — JRiver, Plex, Roon, etc work fine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Not sure what you mean by “toggle it” … the Mac allows both Ethernet and WiFi on the same network.   The Ethernet is priority and WiFi Is secondary—-  only used when needed - like my watch.  Never had a problem with the dual connections—- including other music servers — JRiver, Plex, Roon, etc work fine.

Hi @Dennis from FL. Sometimes our devices are connecting automatically to other WiFi networks that we used to connect to and that could cause some problem/conflict, that’s why we always need to make sure that we are on the right/same WiFi and forget other networks that we don’t normally use. But everything looks good now, right? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes ...all is well now.    I only have one WiFi network

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yes ...all is well now.    I only have one WiFi network

Good to hear that. Observe the connection and just let us know if you need anything.