Answered

Music from iphone cutting out

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies
Songs being played from my iphone are cutting out and not being played in full. Its skips to the next song, plays part then skips again.
icon

Best answer by miked13 11 June 2019, 22:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Unfortunately Sonos is going to remove the 'On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch' feature in a future version:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2922?language=en_US

Announcement: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585
Or convince Apple to stop making changes to their software that breaks other people's use of their equipment.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Setting up a computer with a music library instead of my phone is not an acceptable solution.
I want to use my iPhone as the controller for my music, this is feature sonos advertise.

You can still use your phone to control the music playback. It's just Sonos will now pull the downloaded music from your computer instead of your phone.The only thing that changes here is instead of tapping on "on this iphone" you tap on "music library"

If it's not an acceptable solution, you should look into another controller.

I disagree.
I should not have to run a server just because sonos cant wrote software that works. It is not convient to do so.
The only acceptable solution is for sonos to fix and properly test their software. The bug and fault is theirs.
It's a huge disappointment given the cost of the unit. My old Bluetooth speaker is more reliable.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Setting up a computer with a music library instead of my phone is not an acceptable solution.
I want to use my iPhone as the controller for my music, this is feature sonos advertise.

You can still use your phone to control the music playback. It's just Sonos will now pull the downloaded music from your computer instead of your phone.The only thing that changes here is instead of tapping on "on this iphone" you tap on "music library"

If it's not an acceptable solution, you should look into another controller.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Setting a phone to not sleep is not an acceptable workaround given the security implications.
Sonos need to write good software and test it properly before realising it globally with known obvious bugs.
This level of quality is not acceptable.
This is a bigger problem than Sonos wants to admit. I've had my Sonos systems for years and playing my ITunes from my Sonos library is impossible. It doesn't matter if I use my Iphone or computer to control it. It cuts in and out and skips songs. I tried everything and spent hours on the phone with support just to finally have them tell me to try one of the music library services like Google Play. I finally did and this solved the problem. My Sonos system works fine for the radio apps including my Sirius for home app. It's a pain to have to upload all your songs to Google Play just so you can play them on Sonos. My Sonos system is large and the investment I made in it required I found a way to fix the problem.
We are experiencing same issue. Diagnostic number 1904743511
Strange behavior. i'm using my iphone with itunes via Airplay to my 2x Sonos 5 and Sub. When I send music from iTunes, I'm getting long cuts, with the Sonos ios app, I have no problem.
iOS 12.1 || Sonos updated to 9.2 || No background apps running on iPhone
Diagnostic Report # 2094687154

This problem started recently (~July/August) wherein songs streaming from my iPhone would either skip or stop playing ONLY when the phone is locked. If I disable the auto-lock feature, everything works fine and the music continues to play.

There is no problem when I stream music from my MacBook (as it never sleeps/locks) or AppleMusic
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Howdy. For what it’s worth, yesterday I was experiencing the above problems with songs getting cut short and changing songs half way through. Songs played directly from my phone which I placed on there - no streaming or external sources.
iPhone iOS 12.1 and everything updated.
So to bypass the issue, I set my phone to never go to sleep.
Obviously when I finished with Sonos, I put it back to2 min sleep.
Today I connected to Sonos and so far no issue. And the setting is still at 2 min sleep. :?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

We're investigating an issue that causes playback troubles when streaming from the storage on an iOS device when there is a non-Sonos AirPlay device active on the network and your iOS device goes into auto lock or goes to sleep. We'll update this thread when we have more to share. In the meantime you can get streaming working again by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos device on your network, or by disabling auto lock in the iOS device's settings app under display and brightness.

You can bypass this issue entirely by syncing your iOS library with iTunes on a computer, then setting up a music share. This allows your Sonos system to stream music without issue when you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network, and even when your iOS device goes offline.
I always have this problem when my phone goes to sleep. I push play then jump in the shower. My sonos will keep cutting out and skipping while i’m in the shower. When i get back and wake my phone the songs stop skipping and cutting out. * iPhone XS Max 12.1 - Sonos latest OS *
Updated to iOS 12 and updated Sonos and suddenly started having this problem, sometimes when goes to sleep, and others when it is awake.
Hi Jeff, I’m having similar issues to ICEv. The issues for me have been creeping up after a recent iOS update. My diagnostic number is 1648308008. Thank you in advance for any help.
Hi Jeff, I have now wired the Sonos speaker into the router... same problems occurring. Cut outs and stops playing. The diagnosis number I have just run is: 1401965219 - I hope you can work out the problem and resolution. Thanks in advance Jeff. Cheers
Hi Jeff,
I to have been having the same problem all speakers are up to date(9.1) and so is my Iphone8 this only started happening since the lats update the one before 9.1.
diagnostic number is 1142854352
Hi Jeff,

We're having the same problem - have been using Sonos for several years without any problem and now can't play anything. Systems diagnostic reference is 373873344. Can you have a look?

Thanks.
Hey guys, I’m having the same or similar issue. I have a sonos one in my kitchen and some bose outdoor speakers hooked up through a connect:amp. All run through a Sonos Bridge.

Suddenly, music played via my iPhone music library skips in the middle of songs. Doesn’t happen on any music services (amazon, Sirius) played through same device. System had worked fine with no issues before a few months ago.

Can anyone help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff, I have updated the app - no change - still skipping and cutting out non stop. So annoying that the system used to work fine and it no longer does... please keep us posted on the next fix, as unfortunately this one has not worked for me.... thanks

Hi ICEv,

The update had a fix for a rather specific issue, so there may be something else going on with your system. Airgetlam's suggestion of sending in a diagnostic report is a good one. If you reply here with a diagnostic confirmation number I can take a look for you.
ICEv, scanning back through this thread, I don't see that you have submitted a system diagnostic. That might be a great first step in providing Sonos with more information about your system, which is clearly not experiencing the same issue that they fixed with 9.1, despite having similar symptoms. Run that, and post the number here, it will help people like Jeff (or even Jeff himself) look at what might be happening on your system.
Hi Jeff, I have updated the app - no change - still skipping and cutting out non stop. So annoying that the system used to work fine and it no longer does... please keep us posted on the next fix, as unfortunately this one has not worked for me.... thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We released version 9.1 today which should help out with issues streaming from iOS devices. Please update your systems and test things out. You can read more here.
Same issue with iPhone stored songs only. Not with streaming services (pandora, sirius) Submitted diagnostics ref# 22522017.
We have been experiencing this also and have been in discussion with Sonos over the past few days. We have multiple Sonos products throughout the house and set up a boost system to improve reliability. When using anything other than the music on our iOS devices, it works fine, it is when streaming songs direct from our device that the system packs up.
Initially it starts fine, then it appears to stop for no reason, sometimes when the lock screen happens, and sometimes not. Then it plays the first 30 seconds or so of a track and skips to the next.
Recent suggestions by Sonos have been to disable Airplay on our Apple TV, close all open apps on the device and disconnect Bluetooth. None of which have made any difference.
We have submitted numerous diagnostics to Sonos, who do appear to be working on the issue, although there may be a bit of straw clutching going on!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're having audio cut outs while streaming from your iOS device's storage, you may be running into an issue we're investigating where this happens when the iOS device goes to sleep, or into auto lock. We'll update the thread when we have more to share, but for now you can disable auto lock in your iOS device's settings menu under Display & Brightness, or disable AirPlay on non-Sonos devices on your network.