Answered

Multiple users for one set of hardware

• 13 April 2018
  • 16 replies

I have a couple of Sonos speakers (actually, two sets, in each of two houses). If someone else comes over and has the Sonos app, he/she will presumably be able to connect to my speakers. Will that person see his or her music? I guess what I'm asking is: is the music list a property of the account, or of the hardware? If it's a property of the account, as I assume it is, where is it stored? (If it's in the cloud, on the Sonos servers, does that mean I can't play music if my external internet is down?)
icon

Best answer by Chris 14 April 2018, 03:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
He or she will see your music in the Sonos. There is the ability to add their account also should they need to. They will see their music that resides on their actual phone (not downloaded from steaming service)
@Chris so the music list is stored on the accessing device? But how is that possible? I see the same list on my phone, my iPad, and my computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos hardware stores nothing. MuSic comes from computer hard drive, phone, or internet source
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your music source is probably network service - Sonos is pointed to that
Chris,

This is where I can see some future potential for Sonos development happening. It would be nice to take the 'My Sonos Tab' ...(stored in Sonos' own cloud and within my account) ...with me and when I’m out and about at a friends house, to load up their Sonos system, but also see my own 'My Sonos' favorites tab. I could then play some of my own favourite playlists etc...

It would be like taking my vinyls round to a mates house to play on his/her hifi.

Those were the days !

...Maybe one day perhaps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you use favorites on service like Apple Music or Spotify then you can.
If you use favorites on service like Apple Music or Spotify then you can.

I do use Spotify Premium and Amazon Unlimited ... and I have playlists and favourites in far 'too many' locations, but it would be nice to be able to access the 'My Sonos' tab too... for me at least, as all my playlists everywhere would then be viewable through the one App.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Go to Spotify in Sonos and go to a playlist you want. Hit the ... top right and it will put it into my favorites.

If went to friends house. Add your Spotify account ... do same if you want etc.
Sorry, still confused. All my music is in the cloud - my Google Music account, my NAS, my Pandora channels. So if someone else walks into my house and fires up his Sonos app to connect to my speakers...how does he see my music list?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Sonos devices store the music index associated with your local music library so anyone connecting to your Sonos system will see that list on their controller.

I believe that something similar to that is true for most other music sources as well. You connect to a Sonos system, the controller retrieves the local service information and shows it to you using the accounts and passwords entered into the local system.

Now for something like Spotify (which I have no clue about so this is iffy) that has Sonos control built into their app I believe it will always see your system since it isn't connecting to the local Sonos system but the Spotify server on the Internet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because Sonos saves all your account credentials. So anyone who goes into Sonos app sees your accounts.
Go to Spotify in Sonos and go to a playlist you want. Hit the ... top right and it will put it into my favorites.

If went to friends house. Add your Spotify account ... do same if you want etc.

Chris,

My development thoughts here are a little more complex than a basic single and simple music service playlist.

A single service playlist would never bring across the sort of playlists I have created in the 'My Sonos' tab, which are made up from a mix of Spotify, and Amazon tracks ... I do also have Google Play and obviously tracks on my NAS in the same kind of playlists too... it would be nice to take all those things held on that type of multi-sourced playlist with me ...

I could do that if the 'My Sonos' tab was stored/sync'd to a Sonos cloud... my NAS tracks would upload of course to provide access to them on the move... the rest of the playlist would be pointers to tracks at Google/Spotify/Amazon servers etc.

So this is more complex than a playlist on one music service... I see the new 'My Sonos' tab has having far greater potential than that.
Because Sonos saves all your account credentials. So anyone who goes into Sonos app sees your accounts.

So the statement in your previous response "Sonos hardware stores nothing. " is false? So my hardware (e.g., speaker) stores my account information, and transmits that to the Sonos servers to retrieve my music list when someone (anyone) connects to that hardware?
Sorry, still confused. All my music is in the cloud - my Google Music account, my NAS, my Pandora channels. So if someone else walks into my house and fires up his Sonos app to connect to my speakers...how does he see my music list?

In its simplest form, your friend connects to your WiFi and your Sonos System ... and his mobile Sonos App then sees the exact same as your Sonos App ...in real terms it’s just another Sonos Controller on your network. It is quite a basic (same) sharing method at the moment, but I think Sonos could possibly have plans to do more in this area in the future... my guess is the 'My Sonos' tab, which is capable of collecting links to numerous different cloud music sources, could later be a component that your friend can take with him to your house... it’s only my guess of course, but I see the 'My Sonos' tab as having the potential to be shared when a user is travelling out and about visiting friends.

At the present moment though, your friend will only see what you see now and he is allowed to use all the music services you use... the user can add his own cloud based music services too. Example...your friend could add his own Spotify account to your system and play his own Spotify playlists ... when he does that, you would see his Spotify Service and playlists too in your Controller App.

My thoughts are that Sonos will (or 'may') go onto improve these features at some later stage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes roger your correct. The Sonos speakers store your account info and pointers to locations.

I meant didn’t store music sorry.

If a friend comes to your house and installs controller his controller will look exactly like yours with same access etc. the only thing different would be if they chose browse... on this device (which of cours would show music physically in their phone ).
Yes roger your correct. The Sonos speakers store your account info and pointers to locations.

I meant didn’t store music sorry.

If a friend comes to your house and installs controller his controller will look exactly like yours with same access etc. the only thing different would be if they chose browse... on this device (which of cours would show music physically in their phone ).

Got it. Thanks for the help.