Answered

Multiple users?

• 13 January 2020
  • 23 replies

Hey, 

Just bought a Sonos speaker for my daughter and I, but she set it up, and now when I connect to the speaker, under "my Sonos" all her favorit channels are shown on my device as well. 

Can we some how have our own "my Sonos" (one for each of us) or are we bound to have to mix our preferences and my daughter and I to have no privacy in choice of podcasts and music? 

Thank you all in advance.

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 13 January 2020, 21:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The only way to do this is to set it up on a different Wi-fi network. This is a feature that many people like, myself included. It’s fundamental to how Sonos works so can’t see it changing soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Bockersjv is correct, though there are a few missing thoughts. A single Sonos system is fairly controller agnostic, the “My Sonos” is a shared space, shown by all controllers and it reflects the information on the speakers. There isn’t a way to have one system with multiple Sonos accounts linked to it. I’ll pass along that as a request to the development team for you though.

You can have multiple music services added, and either controller would be able to control each of the music services. So if you both have a Spotify account, you could each just use your own account on the system, but you’d both be able to see each other’s.

What Bockersjv mentioned at the beginning of his comment is that you could set up two systems, each on a different wireless network. Then, you each could have your own Sonos setup, with specific speakers for each wireless. This would give you the privacy you mentioned, but it also would limit what you could use together. For example, you couldn’t group speakers on different systems together to play the same thing at the same time.

Some of the streaming services allow you to cast from the services own app directly to Sonos speakers.  So for example, if you each had your own Spotify accounts, You could use your Spotify app to select music choices then press the button to cast the music to the Sonos speaker instead of playing on your phone.  You would not see any of your daughter’s Spotify settings.  Your daughter could do likewise.

I say this in theory though as I don’t have 2 accounts with the same streaming service in my household (yet).  I have done casting from Amazon music, SiriusXM, and Pandora though, so I don’t see why this would work.

Hi All, 

I am having trouble at the moment adding my boyfriend to the Sonos to allow him to control the music rather than me. 

I know that a few years ago my housemate & I used to both hop on to the same account that allowed us to both control them.  And the function to play separate music on the two speakers. 

Anyone that can just simply say how this can be done it will be greatly appreciated.  He has added the app & now has my reset password.  `So hopefully we can suss it LOL. 

Thanks in advance :-)

@77MDunc -If this is just about using the Sonos system (and not about separate Spotify accounts etc) then all he has to do is to have his phone on the same wireless network as the Sonos system, open the app and choose to connect to existing system.

I want to user the different spotify accounts (or google account) , for he different people in the household so that they may use their own spotify account and the playlist in spotify on sonos , but it seems that I have to add all the spotify accounts to one sonos account , and have the different phones (controllers) default to different spotify accounts, last used would be default for each controller?

Thus all sonos users (their can be only one) has access to each others spotify playlist?

What I understand from this is that there are really only one sonos account and separation cannot be established?

will this come in the very near future, or do I have to have another sound system to accomplish this?

Best regards

Thue

Thus all sonos users …….has access to each others spotify playlist?

Correct

What I understand from this is that there are really only one sonos account and separation cannot be established?

Depends what you mean.  If everyone agrees to stick to their own account there is no problem.  At least everyone can have their own streaming account within the system

will this come in the very near future, or do I have to have another sound system to accomplish this?

You have to have another sound system to accomplish this.  If you can find one that does this and everything else that Sonos does. as well as Sonos does.  Goodbye and good luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The only way to do this is to set it up on a different Wi-fi network. This is a feature that many people like, myself included. It’s fundamental to how Sonos works so can’t see it changing soon. 

You can set up multiple totally separate Sonos households on the same network. Its not easy, but it works just fine.

Firstly set up System #1 which likely already exists.

Next turn off all #1 devices.

Reset the Sonos app (the app, not any devices) so it “forgets” #1.

Set up System #2 using all different Sonos hardware. This will create a different Sonos Household, but it can be associated with the same Sonos account.

Turn on the #1 devices.

On the device you want to use for #1, reset the app and Connect to existing system. Pick a #1 Sonos device to set it up.

It is possible that only one system can be configured for WiFi, the other might have to be SonosNet or wired. As I’ve never used WiFi myself I can’t be sure.

reply to John B,
got your point , I actually like sonos (have had it for years) and hope I can make it work somewhat my way,
My problem is that I have several people using the sonos installation and it would be nice to have separation instead of discipline.
So maybe enter some kind of user accounts into sonos as a changerequest?
 best regards
Thue

Just to be clear, I don’t work for Sonos.

I can see why some users would want this but it doesn't sit naturally with Sonos' design.

In practice, doesn't the fact that each person can access their own streaming account, with their controller defaulting to that own account, give you pretty much what you want?

You can set up multiple totally separate Sonos households on the same network. Its not easy, but it works just fine.

Firstly set up System #1 which likely already exists.

Next turn off all #1 devices.

Reset the Sonos app (the app, not any devices) so it “forgets” #1.

Set up System #2 using all different Sonos hardware. This will create a different Sonos Household, but it can be associated with the same Sonos account.

Turn on the #1 devices.

On the device you want to use for #1, reset the app and Connect to existing system. Pick a #1 Sonos device to set it up.

It is possible that only one system can be configured for WiFi, the other might have to be SonosNet or wired. As I’ve never used WiFi myself I can’t be sure.

I am pretty sure the systems could be WiFi or SonosNet. The Sonos systems maintain their separate identities - the LAN just provides a means to move the data around.

This is a bit of a diversion from the original question though.

Just to be clear, I don’t work for Sonos.

I can see why some users would want this but it doesn't sit naturally with Sonos' design.

In practice, doesn't the fact that each person can access their own streaming account, with their controller defaulting to that own account, give you pretty much what you want?

It is shame that you don’t work for Sonos but you do put bad note on it with your replays. 

So you didn’t understand what is benefit of multiple users but still pushing your own view so I decide to explain to you  

it is not only services and that people will have more order when favorites will be there own but also to be able to dedicate different devices to different users so I don’t wake up 3am because my son by mistake turn full volume up in my bedroom. Didn’t happen because he is still 2 years old and not drinking but could easily happen.

So there is pretty much good reasons for multiple users on one system.

If you don’t agree goodbye and good luck.

@Ajakasa .  Thank you for your hilariously condescending lecture.  I am aware of all the arguments you put forward, which is why I commented that I understood why some users would want separate accounts.  I am not arguing against it, simply pointing out that some separation is already possible.

If you wish to dedicate different speakers to different users, you can already do that… by setting up separate systems.  This was already covered in the post from @controlav .

@John B happy we understand each others. ;)

I know that setting up different system is possible but still will be nice to have some administrative functions like adding different options to different users so I can control all and other people in my house only what I want them to control. Maybe sound hush but it is just to make sure that I can sleep while my guests having party with Sonos and not switching my bedroom by mistake. Don’t get me wrong I’am huge fan of Sonos and I have it for 10 years now and I will continue to use it but just that little think will obviously make many people more satisfied. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If your guests are not logged in to your Sonos account they cannot make important changes.

If your guests are not logged in to your Sonos account they cannot make important changes.

I don’t know what is important to you but for me is very important to stop them from playing music in the middle of the night in my bedroom or my toddler room just because of mistake. I don’t understand why you guys are so fantastic in protection of Sonos system but you should read my post with understanding before replying. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I was only reacting to the first part of your post. I’m not sure the second part would be a serious problem for me. Guests are on my guest wifi and have no control over my music. My kids have control, either with the Sonos app, Airplay, or Spotify. Nothing vary bad has happened since and I like using the Sonos system (via Google Assistant) as an intercom, zo need it to be on the same network.

Would other connected speakers not suffer form the same (as you may find) problem? You can also Airplay to all listed speakers on the same network.

@106rallye I am big fan of Sonos for more than 10 years and didn’t think about this in beginning. But than I install 20 move and 25 ports on SuperYacht and very often have problem witch I explained before. Also at home now I have multiple units and I am always scare that family in visit don’t do something during the night. I don’t have nothing agains Sonos and you are right Airplay is same thing, completely nonsense that you gain access to AV system just by using home wifi. I know I can setup multiple wlans but I like to keep it simple at home and that little feature will make many people happy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Reading your post, I do think your use case is a bit specific. Not only in the environment where you use your Sonos devices, but also in the number of speakers. I'd make different wifi zones or use non-connected devices where silence really matters (and maybe use a Port to connect with the Sonos environment).

Reading your post, I do think your use case is a bit specific. Not only in the environment where you use your Sonos devices, but also in the number of speakers. I'd make different wifi zones or use non-connected devices where silence really matters (and maybe use a Port to connect with the Sonos environment).

On board I did manage to have all more or less fine. It is huge Cisco infrastructure so it is easy to play with different vlans and wlans and restrictions between but it takes time. 

In my house on the other hand is exactly what other users are complaining. We all would like that apps can have different users so you can save favorites to your user and that owner can dedicate some different speakers to different users. 
If Sonos would do something like that it will be definitely the best system around for home users and you and people who like how is now will have exactly the same user experience like it is now. So I think is win win situation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can add multiple Spotify accounts to Sonos, that’s at least part of the solution.

You can add multiple Spotify accounts to Sonos, that’s at least part of the solution.

Would be if there is Spotify service available in Croatia. 😂🤣

Don’t worry. Even with flaws I still like Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Breaking news: https://newsroom.spotify.com/2020-07-14/spotify-is-now-available-in-russia-croatia-ukraine-and-10-other-european-markets/