Answered

Multiple users???

• 4 January 2017
  • 13 replies

When is sonos going to make its system accessible to multiple users? It would be much easier to explain to my wife why I am spending thousands on a system if she could also play music when I'm not home???? Any timeline on this?
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 15 February 2019, 20:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

All she needs is the free controller on her phone, and she can play the system - why is yours a special case?
I'm not sure of what you are talking about. If you think Sonos can't be controlled by multiple users on multiple controllers, you are 100% incorrect. Download the controller to your wife's phone and not only can she control Sonos when you are at work, she can control it when you are home.

If you are saying you can't have multiple user accounts for music services, you are also 100% incorrect. Add the service again and enter your wife's account information and her name. She can then default her controller to her account. This also works for family plan accounts.

If you are saying you can't use the same account on your phone at work as she is using at home on Sonos, that is a function of the service provider. No service is going to let you share credentials across multiple devices to use simultaneously. Nothing Sonos can do about that.
I'm not sure of what you are talking about. If you think Sonos can't be controlled by multiple users on multiple controllers, you are incorrect. Download the controller to your wife's phone and not only can she control Sonos when you are at work, she can control it when you are home.

If you are saying you can't have multiple user accounts for music services, you are also incorrect. Add the service again and enter your wife's account information and her name. She can then default her controller to her account. This also works for family plan accounts.

If you are saying you can't use the same account on your phone at work as she is using at home on Sonos, that is a function of the service provider. No service is going to let you share credentials across multiple devices to use simultaneously. Nothing Sonos can do about that.
When is sonos going to make its system accessible to multiple users?

As Kumar says, all she needs is the free controller on her phone (or computer, tablet). Maybe give this page a quick read for an overview
http://www.sonos.com/en-ca/controller-app
You can have up to 32 Controllers on the system at any one time. You can also add multiple accounts for each music service, including family accounts. Each controller can then designate a default account to use on that device. Not sure what you mean by not allowing multiple users.
I hope you haven't had Sonos for a long time. If you have, you'd better tell your wife it's a new development 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Surely this thread is a wind up?
The only way this isn't a goof is if the poster is concerned about not being able to use a single music service account to stream over their phone and Sonos at the same time. However, preventing streaming from multiple devices/apps is a limitation of the service, not Sonos. No service is going to allow multiple users on multiple devices because of the rampant account sharing which would occur.

Either that, or the OP truly does not understand the product and is just posting random complaints.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
OP is having a laugh. 1 post and no other activity. Can't see the point.
First time Sonos user. Getting ready to install once my Sonos One arrives tomorrow. Googled “multiple users on Sonos” and this came up and greatly useful.
Ok, all the answers are in one direction - using multible controllers. And this works without many complictions during all the years now We did have our Sonos system.
The real problems are showing up, when we give access to friends or students or guests and they enter or Sonos system. Then they see and use our music and sometimes I can’t find my playlists anymore, or different playlists are showing up and my service is not able to play music on this list anyway, so it just are a shaddow from people who was loged on to the system.

With several guests or our students, this can be a mess and really annoying, so had to reset or delete it and start over again.

The best solution will be, if everybody is just seeing its own music service like Spotify or Apple music and its own playlist. So we can play music for each other - not touching each others playlist. Is this possible to do?
The sonos app on android does not let me sign in to a speaker that my partner has already set up. Which means that I can not change the EQ settings for listening to podcast because there is too much bass. Honestly, sonos is supposed to be "modern" and "connected" but so far I am not impressed by anything other than design and sound quality. Everything else is a travesty
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The sonos app on android does not let me sign in to a speaker that my partner has already set up. Which means that I can not change the EQ settings for listening to podcast because there is too much bass. Honestly, sonos is supposed to be "modern" and "connected" but so far I am not impressed by anything other than design and sound quality. Everything else is a travesty

Hi ErikZzz,

You can connect an Android to multiple different Sonos systems. Just start the app, and choose the option to connect to an existing system. If your speakers are on the same network, you can make them all one system instead by factory resetting one system's speakers, then adding the speakers to the other system.