Multiple "My Sonos" accounts

• 8 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
I seem to be one of the few people who are enjoying the new UI in 8.0.

By changing the name of Sonos Favourites to My Sonos however, it's made me more aware that it is not really "mine", as I have two kids using Sonos who constantly add their own playlists and favourite albums into the list. This means my nicely curated favourites get lost amongst all the noise.

Is there anyway of having multiple Sonos accounts attached to the system (we all want access to all speakers), separating out My Sonos accordingly? I guess in a similar fashion as we do with different Spotify accounts.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Intersting situation, and I feel your pain. I don't believe there is an easy solution for you, unfortunately. The whole "system" is stored on each speaker, and I would be surprised if there was enough spare RAM lying around for each speaker to have multiple accounts.

Sorry not to be able to give you better news. I'm sure it would be much easier to implement if all the smarts were on the app, but Sonos stores pretty much everything at the speaker level.
I'm now researching this very same topic. 5 of us live in this house and we all use Sonos. I can't find my own stations anymore. Seems like it would be simple to add one level of folders for each of us and we then place our music in our respective folder. A folder for Dad's music, Mom's music, etc... This can't be that difficult. You log into the app, click on My Sonos and then click on which folder (Dad, Mom, Etc) and then you have only your own music listed to be able to choose from.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I seem to be one of the few people who are enjoying the new UI in 8.0.

By changing the name of Sonos Favourites to My Sonos however, it's made me more aware that it is not really "mine", as I have two kids using Sonos who constantly add their own playlists and favourite albums into the list. This means my nicely curated favourites get lost amongst all the noise.
Thanks.

The pedant in me wants to point out that Sonos v8 on desktop still calls favourites "favourites" and displays them as one big list, no new UI. But... one of the interesting things that "My Sonos" (the dashboard screen, not the rebranding of "favourite items") does is to list not only your actual "Favourites"/"My Sonos items" (things that you deliberately flagged), but to list ALL your favourite-or-not Sonos playlists as well (that's all of them on the screen, no only listing the first 😎.

So if you're using Sonos playlists (saved queues) rather than Spotify playlists or favourite albums, you can blow the 32-favourite limit. Unfortunately, you can't really group these favourites in any meaningful way (the MySonos->Edit screen should be used with care). Anyway, might be a partial workaround for some of what you're trying to achieve.

As has been pointed out, Sonos only really fully supports a single user (it's more a "system for your house").
I'm now researching this very same topic. 5 of us live in this house and we all use Sonos. I can't find my own stations anymore. Seems like it would be simple to add one level of folders for each of us and we then place our music in our respective folder. A folder for Dad's music, Mom's music, etc... This can't be that difficult. You log into the app, click on My Sonos and then click on which folder (Dad, Mom, Etc) and then you have only your own music listed to be able to choose from.
Thank you, but how do i creat a folder?
Thank you, but how do i creat a folder?This was a feature request. It doesn't exist.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
This can't be that difficult. You log into the app, click on My Sonos and then click on which folder (Dad, Mom, Etc) and then you have only your own music listed to be able to choose from.

Consider a similar implementation to what you're proposing - Netflix profiles. You open the app, select your profile (don't even log in), and then you see your customised list. Great, but there's a load of extra friction to get to content. This is worth it when the use case is "open app, select content, passively engage for two hours". For the Sonos app to be useful, it must be possible to act as a remote control for the audio around your house, which means grabbing the nearest device, opening Sonos and hitting pause or changing the selection needs to be quick, like "3 clicks or less" quick. For every house where Sonos is controlled by a single device in your pocket, there's a house where the Sonos controller lives on "whatever device is closest in the room you're currently in" (laptops, phones, tablets, old-ipods-stuck-to-a-wall, etc).

Yes, Sonos maybe doesn't scale well to a house full of users each with their own personal playlists or favourites, but there might be valid user experience reasons for Sonos sticking to the design decision of "one house, one Sonos".