Answered

Multiple devices and issues with S1 and S2 app

Hello,

I have built my sonos system over the years and loved that I could link the rooms, I have older 2 x ZP120, 1 x connect, 5 x play 1, 5 x connect amp…….. is it possible to run it all on the older software and older app and have on the same system, lately it keeps telling me items are incompatible and open S1 or open S2.  I’m not bothered if I have to run on the older version of the app but don’t want two systems really as I often use the line in to play vinyl music through the house.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 February 2021, 14:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Mullet78

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thanks for bringing your concern to our attention. Let me help you out with this.

Yes, it is possible to run your Sonos on an older software version (S1 system) and older app (S1 app). If you are currently running S1 and S2 systems, and you want them combined in the S1 system, you need to downgrade your S2 system back to S1.

Note: You can downgrade your Sonos products to S1 if you have at least one Sonos product running in the S1 system. 

Can you please submit diagnostic reports from your S1 and S2 system for me to check? Please make sure that both systems are online. Just include the confirmation numbers in your response. We'll wait for your reply.

If you need help with any other information, Please be sure to let us know.

Hello,

as my S2 system was set up I have tried to factory reset and remove all the devices from the S2.

I have deleted the S2 app and then started the process again on the S1 app, the first devices I try are saying that they are only compatible with the S2 app and will not connect, how do I get around this now?

I assume I need to somehow not downgrade the devices with have upgraded and then turn off software upgrades to continue to use these all on the S1 app.

thanks

lee

You can only create an S1 system with an S1 only product. So that’s one of these...

• Bridge
  • CR200
  • Connect (Gen 1)
  • Connect:Amp (Gen 1)
  • Play:5 (Gen 1)
  • ZonePlayer 80
  • ZonePlayer 90
  • ZonePlayer 100
  • ZonePlayer 120
  • ZonePlayer S5

So basically it is as people were saying and not as per the sonos website.

you have to have two separate systems.

time to move to denon I think….…

thanks

lee

So basically it is as people were saying and not as per the sonos website.

you have to have two separate systems.

time to move to denon I think….…

thanks

lee

You can have all Sonos devices set on an S1 system except: 

• Arc
  • Five (not Play:5)
  • Stub (gen 3)

You just need to create the S1 system with a device mentioned in my first post.

I have tried multiple times to do this and it states it’s not compatible with the S1 please use S2.

also trying to add ZP100 players and connect amps and they will also not work.

the S2 system works fine 

I have tried multiple times to do this and it states it’s not compatible with the S1 please use S2.

also trying to add ZP100 players and connect amps and they will also not work.

the S2 system works fine 

1. First, remove your S2 mobile controller App from the mobile device you are using for S1 setup.
  2. Factory reset one of the S1 only players and ‘create’ your S1 System… just the first S1 device only will do for now.
  3. Then reinstall your S2 App and connect to the ‘existing’ S2 system (do not create a new one)

Then carry on and finish your S1 setup with the remaining S1 devices.

Ken I have done that already will

try again now.

I have even tried from scratch.

thanks 

lee

@Mullet78 . Can I just confirm... you want a single system for all devices - correct? Because that is certainly achievable. 

Hello,

yes I am currently trying to get them all onto a S1 however.  I’ve tried factory reset of all of them and then adding to S1 and even deleted the S2 app and data, it tried to get me to then download from the App Store and said all the play 1 are incompatible.

I have now managed to get one amp connected to the S1 and am trying to add the other older amps I had to network the first one to the Ethernet to my internet.  It’s all hot and miss and when you go to add another says it can’t find it but it’s in the same cupboard now.

I have yet tried to now factory reset a play and add but will be soon.

Could you check one thing please,  but don't do anything, just post back? In the S1 app settings, under System,  System Tools,  is there a 'compatibility checker'?

I got the impression there isn’t an S1 household - Just to add, if there is one in existence already, and you want all devices running on S1, then first remove the S2 App and Factory Reset those products that were in the S2 system and add each one of your devices just to that existing S1 system. Removing the S2 App for downgrading purposes is part of the process.

Mod Edit: Edited for clarity and added link prior to marking as Best Answer

It’s a struggle I managed to get them all on and working, been back on and they disappeared. 

it asked me to connect to the router again and I have and it’s found them again.

I might try switching the wifi channel

is it worth having a couple connected to Ethernet permanently?

It’s a struggle I managed to get them all on and working, been back on and they disappeared. 

it asked me to connect to the router again and I have and it’s found them again.

I might try switching the wifi channel

is it worth having a couple connected to Ethernet permanently?

Try the router with a fixed 2.4Ghz channel first - I suggest trying non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11 and if the router allows, also set the channel width to 20MHz - if you still encounter issues after trying those channels, then wire one Sonos device to the main router and set the SonosNet channel so that it is at least 5 changers away from your chosen router channel - also ensure you keep any wired device well away from the router, at least 2-3 feet away.

I have managed to get them on for now.

I cannot set the channel to static on the Orbi routers I have.

what is the reason for having to keep the devices wired at least 2 feet away?

I have managed to get them on for now.

I cannot set the channel to static on the Orbi routers I have.

what is the reason for having to keep the devices wired at least 2 feet away?

I was simply suggesting if you were ever to decide to wire a device to your main Orbi hub, that you keep it away from that device (or any other WiFi-enabled device) by 2-3 feet, so it’s WiFi does not interfere with the SonosNet wireless signal.