Multiple accounts in same household for separate playlists?

• 11 October 2017
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello everyone!

New Sonos customer. Just picked up four PLAY 5 units and have two SONOS ONE on preorder.

Just set up my system. Very easy.

Since I share this household with more than just myself, is it possible to create separate user IDs on the Sonos app so that everyone can have their own login with their own playlists? Currently as I see it -- unless I am missing something --- everything is tied together to just one account on all devices and you are forced to see everyone else's playlist.

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well, everyone will still be able to see everyone's playlists, but Sonos does support multiple accounts for the same music service, so you can select your account, your wife can select her account, your kids can select their accounts, etc. But if you want to see what your kids are listening to, you can switch to their account(s) and see their playlists, though they can do the same with your account too.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hi Mike!

Appreciate the response.

I suppose what I am getting at is this....

When I log into Sonos and go to MY SONOS, I only want to see my saved playlists and stations -- not everyone else's unless I specifically go somewhere else on the app.

If that can't be done, could the lists in MY SONOS at least be categorized by username?

And if so, how do you create a unique user for each account?

Thanks again
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The My Sonos is currently system wide and not specific to one user. I'll pass along the suggestion for separate user accounts or credentials at the system level so that multiple controllers can get access to different profiles. We'd love to do a lot more customization to the My Sonos area of the app, this is just the start of what we can do with it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ryan,

I am very thankful to you for passing this up the food chain. I would love for the Sonos team to consider separate user accounts for every member of the family.

Thanks so much for getting the word to the people that matter.

Best!

Ron
Userlevel 1
Badge
Echoing some of the above (and other threads): It would be quite useful to have the ability to have multiple accounts, each with their own music services configs, in each and every location. In that way, User A can authenticate at Location X and see his/her own familiar music lists/services; and similarly User B can authenticate at Location Y and see his/her own lists. Thus later, User A, now in Location Y, and User B, now at Location X, would still see the correspondingly authenticated music lists/services. At present, it seems the Bridge or Boost caches only one user, and regardless of user ID, once one connects to the Bridge/Boost, all you can see is that user's settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your accounts and favorites are by controller. Which to me makes more sense. A family member has the controller on their phone they have their accounts and their favorites no matter what room they are in. User A may be in bedroom then goes to kitchen - User A would want his music on his controller whichever room User A Goes to. User A in kitchen and User B in kitchen - each users controller has their favorites and they can mix to the queue songs from both favorites/accounts.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yes, but at least separate the playlists by the user. You don't want your sister's favorite pop bookmarks mixed in with your heavy metal bookmarks. If there could be distinct USER A and USER B folders to store separate selections in, that would make more sense.
I would also like to have separate accounts for family members. Basically I dont want my 8-year-old listening to big brother's NWA and Eminem, thank you!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Seems like a lot of people have been asking for a long time, but to date, Sonos shows no interest in implementing
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Good to know. I would love multiple My Sonos accounts for different devices/family members Thanks
Anything new on this? Still getting my son's pop music interspersed with my classic Country. Looks like the last post was almost a year ago. Netflix has it. HULU has it. Why not Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has it. What music service are you using.
I am having the same issue where I do not want to see my wife's playlists and she does not want to see mine. The only option I have found so far is to at least put an initial and - in front of the playlist name e.g. X-Dance vs Y-Dance. That way you at least know who's Dance playlist is whose. I would still rather not see the other users playlists at all. Still waiting for a response from Sonos on this.
I am having the same issue where I do not want to see my wife's playlists and she does not want to see mine. The only option I have found so far is to at least put an initial and - in front of the playlist name e.g. X-Dance vs Y-Dance. That way you at least know who's Dance playlist is whose. I would still rather not see the other users playlists at all. Still waiting for a response from Sonos on this.Its perhaps a case of whether the customer demand is currently there for these things, relative to the development costs and priorities. I think Sonos may go onto do more around the My Sonos Tab in the future, but they probably have more pressing matters with the voice assistant integration at the present time.

Maybe we will see user-profiles appear in the App later on down the line, perhaps?... right now though, I’m not personally seeing too much demand for these things within the community here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Only applies to Sonos playlists being all together. And yea just name them your name.

If you use playlists without n your service such as Spotify it does have profiles and will separate by who is using.