Answered

Moving existing setup to unsecured channel on wifi router

Hello - I have Sonos up and running today at our vacation home that has an encrypted wifi channel and an unencrypted channel. We'll be renting our house this summer, and I would like renters to have access to the system, but don't want to provide password for encrypted channel. How can I change my setup so the Sonos is available on the guest / unsecured channel of our router?
icon

Best answer by ratty 18 March 2018, 20:11

Sonos doesn't support Standard Setup on a guest WiFi, and one suspects you could struggle. Guest networks typically don't permit access to the wired router ports, preventing you from changing the Sonos system's stored WiFi credentials in the usual manner (or indeed running in BOOST/SonosNet mode). Moreover many guest WiFis can stop attached devices from actually communicating with each other at all (wireless client isolation), which would clearly block a Sonos system from working entirely. Some routers have a switch to enable/disable such isolation.

In the absence of an option to temporarily wire the system, you'd need to factory reset everything and start from scratch. Before doing anything more I recommend you move a controlling device onto the guest network, factory reset just ONE Sonos unit and see whether you can set that up on the guest WiFi as a new system. If the controller fails to find the player you're scuppered. Assuming you have multiple Sonos units you can at least add that player back to the rest of the system, restoring things to the way they were before.

What's the reason for not handing over the WiFi password anyway? Presumably as a vacation property there's precious little in the way of network resources (NAS etc) that you'd be concerned about?

View original
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Sonos doesn't support Standard Setup on a guest WiFi, and one suspects you could struggle. Guest networks typically don't permit access to the wired router ports, preventing you from changing the Sonos system's stored WiFi credentials in the usual manner (or indeed running in BOOST/SonosNet mode). Moreover many guest WiFis can stop attached devices from actually communicating with each other at all (wireless client isolation), which would clearly block a Sonos system from working entirely. Some routers have a switch to enable/disable such isolation.

In the absence of an option to temporarily wire the system, you'd need to factory reset everything and start from scratch. Before doing anything more I recommend you move a controlling device onto the guest network, factory reset just ONE Sonos unit and see whether you can set that up on the guest WiFi as a new system. If the controller fails to find the player you're scuppered. Assuming you have multiple Sonos units you can at least add that player back to the rest of the system, restoring things to the way they were before.

What's the reason for not handing over the WiFi password anyway? Presumably as a vacation property there's precious little in the way of network resources (NAS etc) that you'd be concerned about?
Thanks for the detailed response! Your last question is a good one, and one that I've thought about as perhaps the easiest option. I'll probably just make the PW available to vacation renters.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings