McAfee Endpoint Security for Mac firewall settings

• 14 January 2018
  • 5 replies

Has anyone figured out how to setup the McAfee firewall so that it is on and you can still connect to Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, BPW. Welcome to the community. We do have an article that documents how to make adjustments to the majority of firewalls. If it does not help, can you please try uninstalling it altogether, then re-installing it? It may be that it has become corrupted which will mean that any changes will not apply properly. Please let us know how you get on. Many thanks.
Hello, Ed. I was able to figure this out. I switched the McAfee Firewall mode from Regular to Adaptive. I then launched Sonos and 3 Adaptive rules we automatically created to allow my Mac to connect to the Play 1. I then switched back to Regular mode and the Adaptive rules are still running. The IP address is hardcoded in these rules so my guess is this might be an issue if I reboot my router. I am continuing to investigate but for now, all is well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You could always reserve the IP address your laptop is using on your router, that way it should always get the same address. You might also want to reserve the IP address(es) of your Sonos devices, for both the firewall rule reason as well as general reliability too. Some have found Sonos to be more reliable across router reboots with reserved IP addresses, especially following software updates.

Also note that McAfee Endpoint Security is usually a corporate-managed firewall program, so your company could potentially make changes at any time that might remove or disable unapproved rules.
The latest McAfee doesn't seem to have an option for "Regular" or "Adaptive." The only way I've found is to just switch McAfee firewall off. This is clearly not an acceptable solution. Given that Sonos have a page listing options for the major AV software (of which McAfee is one) I wonder why they don't bother to keep it up to date?

I have zero clue how to fix this, so my official response if asked is, "Sonos app doesn't work properly with AV software on Windows 10."

It's incredibly frustrating. Genuinely wishing I'd bought a different brand than Sonos. The one positive is that I was planning to outfit the whole house. Luckily I decided to just start with one speaker before spending £1000+. I won't be spending any more on Sonos.
Perhaps if you were to call Sonos to discuss it, they might be able to help you figure this out, and at the same time get more knowledge at the constantly changing state of McAfee, to uodate their FAQ?