Answered

Maintaining access to speakers from multiple app platforms

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

My Sonos S2 app (up-to-date) has once again stopped working on Android 11, showing only screens with blank placeholders for everything except System, where it wants me to update the firmware on my Sonos One pair.

Aside from the fact that I don’t generally want to install updates to make unknown changes to a stable system that I’m not asking for, and I resent being forced, my particular issue is that I’m afraid of losing access again from my Win7 desktop. It took a considerable effort of working around annoying Sonos roadblocks to get the mandatory S2 app running (with limitations) on Win7, and I’m afraid if I do one of these irreversible firmware updates on the speakers the Win7 app will tell me it can no longer access the speakers because Sonos has arbitrarily decided that it can’t.

I know this is likely pointless grumbling, but is there any way we can get Sonos to consider:

1. stop forcing unnecessary firmware updates
  2. make it clear what historical functionality will be lost with each firmware update in the release notes
  3. make trial firmware updates reversible
  4. stop disabling their apps when they want to see a newer firmware version
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 25 May 2022, 21:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I know this is likely pointless grumbling, but is there any way we can get Sonos to consider:

1. stop forcing unnecessary firmware updates
  2. make it clear what historical functionality will be lost with each firmware update in the release notes
  3. make trial firmware updates reversible
  4. stop disabling their apps when they want to see a newer firmware version

Firmware updates are not forced.  You can set your system to not automatically update the speakers.  Likewise, you can turn off automatic updates for your android phone.  The Sonos app and speaker firmware are required to be on the same version

The Release Notes should be available for each update, and the system requirements are specified. Although the current one is not listed for some reason.

I don’t think Sonos considers the updates to be ‘trial’, and Sonos doesn’t support anything but the most current firmware version.  If there are any issues discovered with an update, there would be a followup update rather than a rollback.

It’s not an arbitrary choice to require the apps and speaker firmware to be on the same version.  They are designed to work together and Sonos doesn’t development and test to ensure all the permutations of mismatched will work without issue.

I know this is likely pointless grumbling,

This appears to be the only factually correct statement in your post.

My Sonos S2 app (up-to-date) 

If it wasn’t already clear, therein lies your problem. Your app has, by default, updated itself from the Google Play store. Your player firmware version is therefore out of step with the controller app.