MacOS S2 app no longer can find my system

• 7 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Recently my MacOS Sonos app on my 2019 Macbook Pro can no longer find my Sonos system. Every other device that accesses my home netowrk has zero issues, and this same laptop has connected with the app previously. I have restarted my network, restarted the laptop, and deleted/reinstalled the the MacOS app and it still fails to find the Sonos system 100% of the time. I am not on a VPN or anything like that, just directly connected to the same wifi as every other device in my home.

Diagnostic 525267267

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @getjams 

Thanks for your post.

Do you have McAfee installed? If so, you may need to tell it that your network is Private rather than Public.

The only other reasons I can think of would be if your Mac connects through a WiFi extender, is configured on a different subnet or uses another firewall.

If this doesn’t help at all, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who will be able to remotely connect to your Mac and investigate for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

No on the McAfee, and in general no software changes on the laptop since it started not finding my system. I don’t use an extender but I do have an Orbi mesh system. But this issue happens when connected to the main unit which is the one hard wired both to my fiber connection and to my Sonos Amp. Sounds like I will need to call support. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @getjams 

Sorry for the delay.

If you have a Orbi mesh system as well as your original router, it’s likely that you’ve got two DHCP servers on your network, which typically isn’t good.

If this is the case, please follow these instructions for putting the Orbi into Bridge mode: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

After doing so, please switch your main router off for 30 seconds.

When internet comes back, things should work as expected now.

I have the same problem as the OP. In my case the problem may have started when I added a second AP to my Ubiquiti Unifi setup. I don’t use the MacOS app that much, hence I’m not sure if the problem did coincide with adding the 2nd AP.

But other than addign that 2nd AP there have been no other changes to the overall configuration of anything. Sonos works fine when using the iOS app.

Diagnostic 87311116

How about Sophos Home? Are you running macOS 10.15? If so, disable Web Filter in Sophos home and see if works then. If it does, see the post “Sonos Desktop Issues with Sophos”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rickenbacker 

You may find this thread useful:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Rickenbacker 

Also this, if you have the BT Smart Hub 2: