MacBook Retina display - fuzzy

• 17 October 2014
  • 11 replies

Hi there,

Loving my new Sonos play1, it works seamlessly with my iPhone, mac etc and means no faffing around. And most importantly, it sounds amazing.

The OSX software is good, however it really needs to be updated for retina displays - it is quite badly fuzzy on my MacBook and just takes away from the glossiness the system has... I imagine this is going to be reported more now that the new iMacs are retina as well.

Also, just a note that it really needs to access Spotify radio. Playlists are great, but I often list using the former.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Sam

The Sonos Controller software is compatible with the retina display on Mac computers. Do you mind sending screenshots of the software and distortion you are seeing and reply with them here? We'll be happy to investigate with you further. 

As a quick step, have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the Sonos controller? 

In regards to Spotify Radio, please take a look at this page, it will discuss this feature request in further detail. 
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Sam,

The controller is compatible with retina displays and should come through in 'high resolution'. The controller's background is textured and will appear this way but we can also see what you are saying.

It looks like your Sonos application may be opening up in the 'Low Resolution' setting. Do you mind taking a quick look at this setting? To do so, go into your applications folder and 'cmd + click' the Sonos application and go to > Get Info. There will be an option for "Low Resolution', please ensure that it is NOT checked. 

In regards to your other inquiry about your log in, I'd recommend you take a look at MikeV's suggestion and let us know if you still have issues with logging in. 
Hi Dominique,
This post was a long time ago now, but I have the same low res. graphics in my Sonos app as Sam has/had above. I have checked the 'Low Resolution' checkbox and it is unchecked. Do you have a any suggestions?

Archie
Userlevel 1
same issue here - mac book pro retina 15"
same here. macbook pro 15 retina
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
At the introduction of the Retina display, this is an issue that had plagued many third party developers' software, SONOS being no exception. In improving their own applications, Apple made some other non-native pieces of software (and even some native applications) actually appear worse. However, since it has been some time since they released this display, we have actually taken this into account... I am fairly surprised that you are still experiencing an issue with the resolution. Can you both please attach screenshots?
Badge +1
Same issue here.
Badge +1
It´s not looking good at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, you are correct, having examined the pictures, I can see what you mean. It isn't razor sharp. This is an issue that is still present, in spite of the fact that improvements have been made. I have forwarded the suggestion and we will notify our customers of any updates. Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated. Let us know if you need anything else.
Badge
Still no update on this? When can we expect it?
Just got myself a new iMac 21,5 inch with a retina display and I am experiencing this issue as well. The app is not set to run in low res...