Question

Mac OSX Sierra no longer has "no sleep" setting, so Sonos can't play iTunes library

• 10 September 2016
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
There is no longer a way to link Sonos to the iTunes library on my iMac. There is no way to set the computer to never sleep (just the display).

What to do? All of the music in my library in inaccessible.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
You may encountered a byproduct of using a Beta version of OSX and Sonos hasn't caught up to the new features of the OS.

http://www.hightechdad.com/2016/07/08/how-to-fix-macos-sierra-10-12-beta-blank-screen-crash-after-sleep/
Badge
Same problem here.. I re-added the music library and indexed it, and it seemed to work after that..Ohhh.. and not using any beta software
Userlevel 7
MacOS Sierra works fine with Sonos on my MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011) model. I also have the ability to make my computer "Never Sleep". Although strangely Sonos v6.4 said IT could no longer adjust the sleep function. Must be a bug in the Sonos v6.4 release. However...No Worries!
MacOS Sierra works fine with Sonos on my MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011) model. I also have the ability to make my computer "Never Sleep". Although strangely Sonos v6.4 said IT could no longer adjust the sleep function. Must be a bug in the Sonos v6.4 release. However...No Worries!

I think we have the same Mac Model Year & Software. How were you able to link your iTunes account? The Sonos window displays an error message that says "you must connect your itunes account from a Mac OS device." Any tips?
Userlevel 7
[quote=MattiswoodThe Sonos window displays an error message that says "you must connect your itunes account from a Mac OS device." Any tips?[/quote]

Hi Mattiswood

MacOS is the new nomenclature used by Apple for its computer operating systems. OSX is no longer used. So...bottom-line you are on a MacOS device. Here's are a few questions. Please attack them in the order shown:

1. Is your computer Authorized for iTunes (Apple will only allow 5 computers to share the same iTunes account)?
2. If Yes to the previous question...Are your tracks in iTunes downloaded to your Mac HD?
3. Do you have the latest Sonos Controller on your Mac (v6.4)?
4. Under Sonos > Preferences > Music Library....do you have the following Folder:
/Users/Your Computer Name/Music - if not...Click "+" to add it
(this path should be identical to the first three entries as shown in iTunes>Preferences>Advanced)

PS
You may want to perform Step 4 just as a refresh which may correct your issue.

Please post back to let us know your results.
Thanks for the reply and the help!

I had already completed these steps several times to no avail. However, I copy and pasted the /Users/Your Computer Name/Music folder from iTunes Advance Preferences and it worked. This was the exact same name as before, but for some reason the copy/paste functionality let me continue with the process.

Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Great...Glad the refresh worked!
I have this same problem. The suggestions here either didn't work or I didn't understand how to implement them. Sonos will play radio but won't add a library attached to the iMac with osSierra which lost the "no sleep" mode. I believe this is the problem but haven't gotten a solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have this same problem. The suggestions here either didn't work or I didn't understand how to implement them. Sonos will play radio but won't add a library attached to the iMac with osSierra which lost the "no sleep" mode. I believe this is the problem but haven't gotten a solution.

Hi Idmarquet,

Do you have more than one computers named "imac" on your network? If so, please try renaming one of them and try to add the share again. If not, please send a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 1
Badge
same question here
Geee, did you send in the diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number here?
Userlevel 1
Badge
yeah this is ridiculous. when will the sonos desktop and iPhone apps over ride this ?
Userlevel 1
Badge
yeah sonos, how are you going to make this work ????
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
yeah sonos, how are you going to make this work ????

Hi Geee,

What specifically is the issue you're having? Please send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Has anyone resolved this issue?

ilhof,

You should probably be looking at the FAQ regarding for setting up your library on a Mac, I suspect you've got some firewall / permissions issues. You might also want to look at the message before your post, and run a diagnostic, and post the number here, so that the fine folks from Sonos can look at the log files from your system and see what potential specific issues you may have.
I have the same issue and it's been going on for 7 months. My iTunes library will "typically" not play through my system unless all the stars are aligned...and if it does, it's sure to disconnect within a short period.

Here are a few known issues that prevented Library playback:
- Computer Sleep settings (I've now made it so my computer will not sleep)
- Shared Users (Both Users on the computer have access / permission to all files)
- Connectivity issues - based on Sonos' suggestion, I replaced, renamed and reconfigured my modem.

My guess is that the Sonos capability is not keeping up with the MacOS updates. I'd love help with this, because after 11 years of being a customer, I can no longer access over 10,000 songs in my library. It's really frustrating.

I'm included the error message I got just now. Although it says the device is path is not accessible, this is the correct path, powered on and where all the music is stored.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rosensound,

Might be helpful to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of getting that popup, so that the error would be in the log files that are submitted. Of course, you'd need to post that diagnostic's number here, so that the Sonos folks would know what they're looking for.
Thanks Airgetlam. I just received the error again - Diagnostic 7597285
Userlevel 1
Badge
the support for mac is appalling. Im really regretting in having invested in Sonos hardware right now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just an observation: I'm running macOS Sierra on three different MacBooks, and the option to set 'Computer sleep' to 'Never' is present on all three. It's still under 'Energy Saver' in System Preferences.

(I have no issues running the Sonos controller on the macs, but I don't serve any of my music library from them.)
Userlevel 1
Badge
the support for mac is appalling im starting to regret having invested in sonos
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
the support for mac is appalling im starting to regret having invested in Sonos

Are you having a problem or just trolling? It's understandable if you are having issues that it's frustrating but unless you describe your problem and pertinent details like hardware, Operating Systems and so on you won't get your problem resolved.
pwt,

If I recall correctly, it doesn't show while on battery power, only when plugged in (shoot, I could test that in 3 minutes, if I weren't so lazy.) And I did test. Using OS X 10.12.5, on a MacBook Air, and it shows up in both Battery and Powered configurations, while plugged in, and while on battery. I could swear that didn't used to be the case.

Rosenbud,

Thanks for the diagnostic, now we just wait for a Sonos rep to swing by and take a look. Best of luck!